• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Love it how we've played some really awesome cricket today and had the Aussies on the ropes for most of the day, and some English fans are still whining about it and saying they think we'll lose.
Not whining mate. Just worried. I'm sorry, I can't help it.

Anyhow you're right: today's batting performance was a wondrous, life-enhancing experience. I was so impressed with Trott, a magnificent performance on debut; and hats off once again to the lower/middle order who have proved yet again that when selecting bowlers you should not ignore their batting ability.

It's because most of them are Thatcher's children who were brought up to think that good things can't happen in this Country.
Not sure what age qualifies one to be a child of Thatcher, but I've learned my pessimism from supporting a succession of dreadful England (and Sussex) cricket teams since the very early 1980s and the pessimism ingrained into every cell in my body comes not from Thatcher but from the cold hard reality of supporting the complete shower that is the England team.

More importantly, as a general rule, I prefer to play down our chances and be pleasantly surprised should we do well than to be over-confident and arrogant like some of our criminally-challenged cousins.

Finally, I have a horrible superstitious belief (not unrelated to the above-mentioned matterrs) that if you talk up a team you'll jinx them. So I tend to talk up the oppo rather than England.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure what age qualifies one to be a child of Thatcher, but I've learned my pessimism from supporting a succession of dreadful England (and Sussex) cricket teams since the very early 1980s and the pessimism ingrained into every cell in my body comes not from Thatcher but from the cold hard reality of supporting the complete shower that is the England team.

More importantly, as a general rule, I prefer to play down our chances and be pleasantly surprised should we do well than to be over-confident and arrogant like some of our criminally-challenged cousins.

Finally, I have a horrible superstitious belief (not unrelated to the above-mentioned matterrs) that if you talk up a team you'll jinx them. So I tend to talk up the oppo rather than England.
You qualify, and have all the classic symptoms.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Oh dear God. I'm not planning on voting Tory any time soon. Not sure if that will help me to recover. I suspect I'm beyond help.

You are beyond help, we all are. You surely don't think the current recession marking the 30th Anniversary of her coming to power is a coincidence do you?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is the main reason for me, I'm stupidly superstitious, if anyone even posts on a site "we've won this", before time about any sporting achievement I'm apolectic. The fact is we can talk all about, bowling, batting, fielding and pitches, but I'll believe this win (if it comes:unsure:) will be all down to me finding my lucky buddha-thingy, I had for 2005 Ashes, just before this test match.

You may think that's coincidental, but it ain't because I spent three days turning up carpets and furniture before I found it.

Horribly sad, I know :shy:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
This is the main reason for me, I'm stupidly superstitious, if anyone even posts on a site "we've won this", before time about any sporting achievement I'm apolectic. The fact is we can talk all about, bowling, batting, fielding and pitches, but I'll believe this win (if it comes:unsure:) will be all down to me finding my lucky buddha-thingy, I had for 2005 Ashes, just before this test match.

You may think that's coincidental, but it ain't because I spent three days turning up carpets and furniture before I found it.

Horribly sad, I know :shy:
Sad, but true. I've dismissed scores of my team's batsmen by doing reckless things like checking on cricinfo how many centuries they have when they're currently on 85 not out.

Thanks for finding your lucky Buddha btw. You've done your bit.

Now all I need to do is think thoughts of losing and continually touch wood in an OCD-tastic way.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sad, but true. I've dismissed scores of my team's batsmen by doing reckless things like checking on cricinfo how many centuries they have when they're currently on 85 not out.

Thanks for finding your lucky Buddha btw. You've done your bit.

Now all I need to do is think thoughts of losing and continually touch wood in an OCD-tastic way.

You're welcome, bit worried that it's chipped though. wasn't in 2005:-O

Gosh, this is the type of stuff that should be kept to therapy, to be fair, not shared on public forums.:unsure:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm not overly superstitious (touch wood, ha :p), but I am a great believer in not tempting fate. For instance I'm not sure if HarmyBowie in my avatar has been good or bad luck, but he's been there for the duration of the Ashes and I'm not changing now.

I also spend a lot of time when I'm watching England play cricket not enjoying it very much at all. The Oz second innings this evening was agony, for instance. I'm willing us not to eff it all up so hard I struggle to take any pleasure from the contest. I kid myself I like the sport, but I'm more addicted to it I think. As much as Edgbaston in 2005 was great afterwards, it was sheer bloody hell watching it all the time thinking "I fecking knew we'd find some way to jib this. Why do I bother?"

Secretly I don't want close contests, I want us to piss every game we play. Better for the nerves.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
You're welcome, bit worried that it's chipped though. wasn't in 2005:-O

Gosh, this is the type of stuff that should be kept to therapy, to be fair, not shared on public forums.:unsure:
:laugh:

Really when things are this dire, laughing is all you can do.

Can't believe I'm going to be in England to see the Poms get the Ashes back.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I know most here are having a bit of a larf (at least I hope they are), but there are people who genuinely believe that they can influence events by doing things. The worst example I've seen was in the 1978/79 series in Australia. We were listening on the radio during a long stand between Brearley and Randall and my mate wouldn't go to the toilet because he thought a wicket would fall if he did - and yes he wet himself. Completely irrational and hard to explain to his mother.

inbox24

International Debutant
Credit to Australia mind. I believe this will go down as the greatest Test win of all time, so excited.
I hope you are right nnandos.

In simple terms Australia only need 230 runs per day to win this thing, easy stuff lol :D Again, Clarke and Haddin really need big innings because I can see Hussey getting done up again.