• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

pup11

International Coach
Fuming at the fact the part-timer has bowled twice as many overs as the others. If I hear from pundits/selectors that they got selection right this Test, going to scream.

Imagine the scenario with Hauritz AND North bowling in tandem on this deck. Aus also essentially start the next innings 0.75 down because after bowling this many overs and any others he'll have to bowl, I wouldn't back North to score many.
Really mate, I hope that Hilditch and his band idiots are kicked out after this, that can be the only good to come out of this defeat, the kind of mistakes they have made so far during their tenure are just simply ridiculous, though if they remain in charge after the Ashes, then I'm certainly gonna scream.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tipping Watto to be LBW well before the end of the day, Ponting cleaned up by Anderson in the dying moments.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Couldn't agree more with this. Really impressed with the job Norfy is doing for us, but he should never, ever have had to do it.
This is why I would always advocate picking a spinner to be honest, even if a pitch seemed initially very flat and completely dust free, having a spinner will allow some variation and allows for something different if the pitch changes drastically. I know England have often been allowed the luxury of taking this approach due to them having an allrounder like Flintoff meaning that effectively they could select 5 bowlers, and Australia aren't really able to do this, but I personally would always include a spinner if there was one of semi-decent quality available.

pup11

International Coach
How dire is that, I mean, most front line bowlers don't bowl that much in a lot of innings, and it look's like he'll get through a fair few more by the time the day is up. Good for him for holding his head up, getting on with it and doing a good job, seems like a good bloke, and I really like him as a cricketer, but it is a tactical own goal by Australia, he should never been put in this sort of position.
I have a feeling that Ponting doesn't have much say in these selections, because I really don't see much sense in him first backing his four pacers to come good in the game, and then during the progression of the game, banking all of sudden on his part-timer to do the job

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm still going to cling to the fact that if Swann can do this to the new ball, surely there's 400+ left in this pitch if we bat well...

In other news, check out my new blog clutchingatstraws.blogspot.com

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I have a feeling that Ponting doesn't have much say in these selections, because I really don't see much sense in him first backing his four pacers to come good in the game, and then during the progression of the game banking all of sudden on his part-timer to the job
Yeah indeed, though I doubt for the forseeable future we will find out his true thoughts on this issue. He's not really going to be able to come out and say either of "nah mate, I wanted to pick Katich" or "well unfortunately our seamers weren't up to the job so I had to bowl Marcus into the ground".

Got to say I am surprised that Hilfenhaus hasn't bowled much though, thought he would have at least been worth a few more overs.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good job, Aussie bowlers. Forcing Swan to stay out there and thereby removing the most potent threat with the ball.

pasag

RTDAS
This is a kick in the guts, but was expecting it.

Win or lose, fourth innings will seperate the boys from the men.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah indeed, though I doubt for the forseeable future we will find out his true thoughts on this issue. He's not really going to be able to come out and say either of "nah mate, I wanted to pick Katich" or "well unfortunately our seamers weren't up to the job so I had to bowl Marcus into the ground".

Got to say I am surprised that Hilfenhaus hasn't bowled much though, thought he would have at least been worth a few more overs.
The thing is the fast bowlers apart from Clark haven't been too bad, they did a very decent job on unhelpful track in the 1st innings, so Ponting should have shown more faith in them in the 2nd innings as well, because its really due to the capitulation of our batting in the 1st innings that we find ourselves in so much trouble atm.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Anyone going to bring out the 'which team is going to be the first to chase 500 runs down' thread?