• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My mum just said "surely a sensible captain would put somebody else in that position". Fair point, imo. Punter never struck me as a deep thinker.
None of the other fielders (apart from Katman) are even close to as good as Ponting fielding there though.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Its hard to criticise someone for his last test knock, but that was a very poor one considering the pitch. But he'd obviously decided he was just going to go after everything and that was always going to happen at some point.
Though I don't disgaree, I would rather him do this and pick up twenty runs rather than hang around half an hour for about 3 runs before prodding North through to Haddin.

pskov

International 12th Man
Stuart Broad now currently averages 30.75 with the bat and 35.22 with the ball after 22 matches. Not bad someone who turned 23 two months ago. As a comparison with the generally highly rated Dwayne Bravo (32 matches, 32.73 batting ave, 39.58 bowling) he comes off quite nicely I think.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You're all right really really, but TBH, after watching Fred bat for the last few years, I'm relatively happy with a 20-odd, my typical small-expectations.

Last edited:

pskov

International 12th Man
Nasser and Athers already deftly turning their attention to the South Africa tour. Steady on boys, we can still throw it away from here! :ph34r:

inbox24

International Debutant
I reckon there's the potential for us to make 300-350, if we show some balls and grind. This is where Ponting should stand up and set the precedent, where he can really move into the great zone. The pitch doesn't seem too threatening and probably the first innings was just a brain explosion which exacerbated the OK bowling to create a collapse (and also some shockers).

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I sure do, if we get the next 3 wickets for say 20 or so. That dropped catch will not help though.

Anderson, Flintoff and Harmison aren't exactly in form.
Esspecially seeing as Flintoff was already out at the time you wrote this.. 8|

Edit: Ah, I see you meant bowling, my, rather stupid, mistake.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yea but it would be exceptional if they actually did show any level of professionalism or a killer instinct. Has been AWOL since Vaughan's reign.
True. But I'm consoling myself with the thought that at start of play today I've have taken this mid-afternoon position gladly.

I would imagine the killer instinct wil develop as the team is increasingly filled with saffers.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
That's a glorious shot from Broad. Really having to re-think some stuff about him at the moment. Fair play to the (lady)boy.