• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Pigeon

Banned
Surprised he's not been more tested in this game already by Siddle and Johnson. Aussies rarely miss the chance to probe a weakness.
They have. Siddle's one caught him in the headlights. Didn't duck, didn't evade, just plain copped it on the head.

JBH001

International Regular
Yeah, dont know why he tried to hit it into the carpark. Still a job to do in batting Australia well and truly out of it. Adrenalin probably - still pretty silly.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Trott is Steve Waugh Mk II.
There is a little bit of Steve Waugh in the way in which when he hits his shots he hits them really really hard through the covers and it is something I have thought about over the course of the game.

Regarding his technique though, its just very difficult to judge. Sometimes he looks rock solid and then there are times when he just looks very weak. He does bat with very little flair but I'd take runs and grit over flair any day.

pup11

International Coach
My mum just said "surely a sensible captain would put somebody else in that position". Fair point, imo. Punter never struck me as a deep thinker.
Yeah, he should push a rookie into that position, rather than putting himself there despite being a pretty good close in fielder. 8-)

tooextracool

International Coach
Oh Fred. There was no need for that. Playing positively, fine. But trying to slog it into Richmond was unnecessary.
Its hard to criticise someone for his last test knock, but that was a very poor one considering the pitch. But he'd obviously decided he was just going to go after everything and that was always going to happen at some point.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would be pretty angry if my number 7 holed out in the deep in the middle of day 3.
Meh, as has been said, it's how he bats, and if he bats defensively he just ends up lasting a similar amount of balls before an indecisive prod gets him anyway, whilst scoring less runs.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Disappointing lack of killer instinct from England. Lazy shot from Strauss, ridiculous call from Prior and Flintoff slogging with no intelligence. By all means play your shots but try and hit into areas where there isn't any fielders.

Pigeon

Banned
There is a little bit of Steve Waugh in the way in which when he hits his shots he hits them really really hard through the covers and it is something I have thought about over the course of the game.

Regarding his technique though, its just very difficult to judge. Sometimes he looks rock solid and then there are times when he just looks very weak. He does bat with very little flair but I'd take runs and grit over flair any day.
I think he is surprisingly deft with his wrists. Looks a lot like the subcontinenta; batsman, apparently has the similar weakness against short stuff. He could be England's trump player against spin in the coming years.

BTW Flintoff's innings was just like a snapshot of his career... sweet when it lasted, but once it was over, left a feeling of wanting more...

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Meh, as has been said, it's how he bats, and if he bats defensively he just ends up lasting a similar amount of balls before an indecisive prod gets him anyway, whilst scoring less runs.
Just a little more discretion was needed - he was trying to smack everything and he didn't need to

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
There is definitely a middle ground between defense and a few of the shots he did in his 18 ball stay.

Pigeon

Banned
Yeah, he should push a rookie into that position, rather than putting himself there despite being a pretty good close in fielder. 8-)
But it is perfectly sensible to put a helmet on. FFS, it is professional sport and it's moronish to display "I'mbloodyhard" by not wearing one fielding at breathing range.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Disappointing lack of killer instinct from England. Lazy shot from Strauss, ridiculous call from Prior and Flintoff slogging with no intelligence. By all means play your shots but try and hit into areas where there isn't any fielders.
Yea but it would be exceptional if they actually did show any level of professionalism or a killer instinct. Has been AWOL since Vaughan's reign.