• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussie one day side to be announced.

brockley

International Captain
This would be my side.
Paine(haddin rested broken finger)
watson
ponting
clarke
fergurson
m hussey
j hopes
m johnson
b lee
n haurtiz
n brakken
12th d bollinger
s marsh
j holland
m henriques.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Best XI these days i guess:

Marsh
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
M Hussey
D Hussey
Haddin
Hopes/Haurtiz
Johnson
Lee
Siddle/Hilfy

- Ferguson (he probably could be playing ahead of M Hussey ATM),
- Hopes/Haurtiz
- Bracken
- Siddle/Hilfy
- Paine

pup11

International Coach

Marsh
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
M Hussey
D Hussey
Haddin
Hopes/Haurtiz
Johnson
Lee
Siddle/Hilfy

- Hopes/Haurtiz
- Bracken
- Siddle/Hilfy
- Paine
I would definitely have either Warner or Hughes as the opener in the squad, I think its time Australia introduce Hughes into the limited overs format as well, it would help him develop his game further, and it would also be good for him to be around the Australian squad.

North is another bloke who should be considered for the ODI's, his form in the last OD season was pretty impressive, and he can be a good addition to the Australian middle order, and his offies too can come in very handy, atm though both the Hussey brothers look set to get a chance ahead of him, but if either one of them doesn't perform, then he should come in as the replacement.

The other thing is there is lot of confusion regarding the Australian ODI and T20 batting line-up these days, not many people seem to have any fixed slots, and everybody seems to be floating around in the batting line-up, I think that needs to stop, we need to decide who our openers are gonna be, who is gonna be our no.5, 6 and 7, and stick with some blokes in those positions, so that everyone knows what their role is in the side.

My 15 man ODI and T20 squad would be:

1.S.Watson
2.P.Hughes/D.Warner
3.R.Ponting
4.M.Clarke
5.B.Haddin
6.M.Hussey
7.D.Hussey
8.M.Johnson
9.B.Lee
10.N.Hauritz
11.N.Bracken
12.B.Hilfenhaus
13.P.Siddle
14.C.Ferguson
15.J.Hopes

The fact that Marsh hasn't played any cricket in a while and his recent fitness issues, are some things that do go against him, and it would be the right time to test out either Hughes or Warner at the top of the order, with a tournament like Champions trophy not being that far away.

If Warner or Hughes fail to do well, then we can always promote Haddin to open the batting, a slot where Haddin has done really well for Australia whenever he has had a chance.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ferguson (he probably could be playing ahead of M Hussey ATM),
Hussey's ODI performances have been perfectly fine. It's one of the reasons he hasn't been dropped from the Test team yet, IMO.

Last edited:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Marsh
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
M Hussey
D Hussey
Haddin
Hopes/Haurtiz
Johnson
Lee
Siddle/Hilfy

- Hopes/Haurtiz
- Bracken
- Siddle/Hilfy
- Paine
facepalm

Mr_Cricket

Cricket Spectator

1.S.Watson
2.P.Hughes/D.Warner
3.R.Ponting
4.M.Clarke
5.B.Haddin
6.M.Hussey
7.D.Hussey
8.M.Johnson
9.B.Lee
10.N.Hauritz
11.N.Bracken
12.B.Hilfenhaus
13.P.Siddle
14.C.Ferguson
15.J.Hopes
I would pick this squad and I hope the Australian selectors do to. :)

archie mac

International Coach
Not to be negative, but ODI have nothing to do with the Ashes, and just as Big Macs should never appear on a fine dining menu, should never be mentioned during an Ashes series:dry:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I would definitely have either Warner or Hughes as the opener in the squad, I think its time Australia introduce Hughes into the limited overs format as well, it would help him develop his game further, and it would also be good for him to be around the Australian squad.

North is another bloke who should be considered for the ODI's, his form in the last OD season was pretty impressive, and he can be a good addition to the Australian middle order, and his offies too can come in very handy, atm though both the Hussey brothers look set to get a chance ahead of him, but if either one of them doesn't perform, then he should come in as the replacement.

The other thing is there is lot of confusion regarding the Australian ODI and T20 batting line-up these days, not many people seem to have any fixed slots, and everybody seems to be floating around in the batting line-up, I think that needs to stop, we need to decide who our openers are gonna be, who is gonna be our no.5, 6 and 7, and stick with some blokes in those positions, so that everyone knows what their role is in the side.

1.S.Watson
2.P.Hughes/D.Warner
3.R.Ponting
4.M.Clarke
5.B.Haddin
6.M.Hussey
7.D.Hussey
8.M.Johnson
9.B.Lee
10.N.Hauritz
11.N.Bracken
12.B.Hilfenhaus
13.P.Siddle
14.C.Ferguson
15.J.Hopes

The fact that Marsh hasn't played any cricket in a while and his recent fitness issues, are some things that do go against him, and it would be the right time to test out either Hughes or Warner at the top of the order, with a tournament like Champions trophy not being that far away.

If Warner or Hughes fail to do well, then we can always promote Haddin to open the batting, a slot where Haddin has done really well for Australia whenever he has had a chance.
Yea i dont mind Hughes getting a go in ODIs, since unfortunately his test career will be on pause for a while. Marsh regardless of his fitness woes, it still would be harsh to drop him right not TBF.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yea i dont mind Hughes getting a go in ODIs, since unfortunately his test career will be on pause for a while. Marsh regardless of his fitness woes, it still would be harsh to drop him right not TBF.
He's already been dropped. He's been fit for selection in Australia's last 5-10 ODIs and hasn't been picked.

It'll be Haddin and Watson opening the batting; Ferguson will slip into the middle order.

pup11

International Coach
He's already been dropped. He's been fit for selection in Australia's last 5-10 ODIs and hasn't been picked.

It'll be Haddin and Watson opening the batting; Ferguson will slip into the middle order.
Not sure about that mate, he was opening the batting for us in the UAE series, but he did his hammy again in the 1st ODI of that series, and since then hasn't played any form cricket, and I guess he wasn't even considered for the T20 WC because of this same reason.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure about that mate, he was opening the batting for us in the UAE series, but he did his hammy again in the 1st ODI of that series, and since then hasn't played any form cricket, and I guess he wasn't even considered for the T20 WC because of this same reason.
Word. Think PEWS is slightly off here..

inbox24

International Debutant
Seriously hope they don't pick the Marsh to bog us down. Hopefully no Hopes either, we'd just be wasting our time.

Watson
Haddin
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Hussey
Ferguson
Lee
Hauritz
Bracken
Hilfenhaus

Siddle
Clark
Warner
Hughes

pup11

International Coach
Seriously hope they don't pick the Marsh to bog us down. Hopefully no Hopes either, we'd just be wasting our time.

Watson
Haddin
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Hussey
Ferguson
Lee
Hauritz
Bracken
Hilfenhaus

Siddle
Clark
Warner
Hughes
You would pick Clark in the ODI side when he isn't even in the Champions trophy probables squad, and you would drop likes of Johnson and Hopes (who has been very handy with both bat and ball).... :blink:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
1 Watson 2 Haddin 3 Ponting 4 Clarke 5 M Hussey 6 Ferguson 7 Hopes 8 Johnson 9 Hauritz 10 Lee 11 Hilfenhaus

12 Bracken 13 North 14 Siddle 15 Warner (I guess).

Every team selected should have a cricketer capable of bowling close to 10 overs batting at 7. Because I wouldn't be trusting Watson, Clarke and for those who have selected D Hussey bowling 10.

Last edited: