• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ravi Bopara - another pretender?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The 'softy' thing has nothing to do with them being either southern or batsmen Richard, it's just a perception of their mental strength, whether right or wrong. Bell is barely even a southerner anyway
The perception is based on how they bat, and where they're from. If Bell or Bopara were northern (Bell may not be a southerner but he's a midlander) they'd not be called soft. Mostly in cricket, "soft" is bandied around as a stereotype by people who don't have a clue what they're on about. To get it, all a player requires is a) not being a northerner and b) having a non-awkward-looking technique. Pretty much any batsman who has both of those will get branded soft by a large number of England cricket fans. No insight into their pysche is ever attained by said branders, it's purely a cosmetic perception.

As a bowler it makes far less difference and is based more on how they bowl (if they don't bowl enough short stuff being one such case) than area of origin.
Yeah, he's had two shockers, but why is that? Because he always looks so likely to get out lbw. I'd personally say that needs to be his first priority.
I'd say a fairly strong second after learning to hit the ball down. It's bad enough having one glaring fault without having another pretty bad one to go with it.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Mostly in cricket, "soft" is bandied around as a stereotype by people who don't have a clue what they're on about. To get it, all a player requires is a) not being a northerner and b) having a non-awkward-looking technique. Pretty much any batsman who has both of those will get branded soft by a large number of England cricket fans. No insight into their pysche is ever attained by said branders, it's purely a cosmetic perception.
A few exceptions: Gooch, Thorpe, Stewart, Butcher, Gatting, Smith, Gower, Botham.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sorry mate - that was thoughtless
actually that's rubbish it was entirely deliberate - I am ashamed :ph34r:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I love how these Northerners pretend to themselves that coming from the North is some sort of badge of pride.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
There's a time and place for this debate. The Ashes forum isn't it. We must unite against the true southerners, the ones who stole our bicycles! Down with australia!

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Clogs? Clogs?! Luxury!! We 'ad to mek do wit' dried out cowpat wrapped round our feet IF WE WERE LUCKY!!

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
There's a shop round the corner from my house called "Ravi Store". Burn it down just to be on the safe side?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
There's a shop round the corner from my house called "Ravi Store". Burn it down just to be on the safe side?
Say that name out loud and it sounds like something that Mr Bopara won't be going on in South Africa this winter

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I class he who is born in the north as a northerner if it means the greatest English all-rounder ever (barring Fred, obv) was born in my county