• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ravi Bopara - another pretender?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Well if he thinks he lacks it mentally, it is obvious he shouldn't be batting at 3 in the ashes.

How do u quote like that?

Sorry i'm a noob.
The "Quote" button at the bottom of the particular post.

On topic - yeah, not good enough... but nor is Bell, nor Shah...

whoami

Cricket Spectator
I agree on Bell and Shah, Bell definitely lacks the mental toughness, he gets too nervous and has apologetic body language.

Thanks.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Reckon Bopara can make it tbh. Can score around the wicket at a good clip.

Don't think he's a three in tests though.

pup11

International Coach
Reckon Bopara can make it tbh. Can score around the wicket at a good clip.

Don't think he's a three in tests though.
As I said in my previous post, it doesn't matter whether he bats at no.3 or 6, with the kind of technical problems he has, he is going to get exposed by any decent bowling attack.

He looks like a natural stroke-player, but unless and until he doesn't develop a decent defense to keep the good balls out, it really doesn't matter how many shots he has in his arsenal.

Uppercut

He's looked horrendous. Odd, because his century on day one at Lord's against the West Indies was in tougher conditions and against better bowling than he'd had to face from the Aussies before yesterday. Maybe he can be given another shot some time but I don't think you can have him in the team currently playing the way he is.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Shouldn't have played this Test and should only play the next if we're 2-0 up (which is of course a big ask)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I know it's not an exact science, but for each of the counties, their number 3 (either current match or most recent match) is as follows:

Derbyshire - Park, typical county pro in his mid 20s, mid 30's career average, low 30's average this season.
Durham - Smith, typical county pro in his mid 20s, low 30's career and seasonal average.
Essex - Westley, 20 year old, mid 20's career average, maybe in a few years he'll progress beyond typical county pro.
Glamorgan - Powell, typical county pro in his early/mid 30s, low 40's career and seasonal average.
Gloucestershire - Marshall (batted 4 behind a nightwatchman), not qualified.
Hampshire - Crawley, nearly 38 and declining.
Kent - Jones, tried and failed, rated very highly in the Corrin household, but not in many other places.
Lancashire - Loye, typical county pro in his mid/late 30s, low 40's career average.
Leicestershire - Dippenaar, not qualified.
Middlesex - Shah, tried and failed, rated very highly in the Shah household, but not in many other places.
Northamptonshire - White, typical county pro in his late 20s, mid 30's career average, high 20's average this season.
Nottinghamshire - Wagh, typical county pro in his early/mid 30s, high 30's career and seasonal average.
Somerset - Langer, not qualified.
Surrey - Ramprakash. Nuff said.
Sussex - Joyce, played international one day cricket before. Mid 40's career and seasonal average. Hadn't realised he was already 30, but still has 3 or 4 years in him potentially.
Warwickshire - Troughton, typical county pro in his early 30s, high 30's career and seasonal average.
Worcestershire - Solanki, typical county pro in his early/mid 30s, high 30's career and high 40's seasonal average.
Yorkshire - McGrath, typical county pro in his early/mid 30s, high 30's career and seasonal average.

So the cupboard isn't bare, but if it were my cupboard I'd be off down the supermarket to get some more provisions in PDQ.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I know it's not an exact science, but for each of the counties, their number 3 (either current match or most recent match) is as follows:

Derbyshire - Park, typical county pro in his mid 20s, mid 30's career average, low 30's average this season.
Durham - Smith, typical county pro in his mid 20s, low 30's career and seasonal average.
Essex - Westley, 20 year old, mid 20's career average, maybe in a few years he'll progress beyond typical county pro.
Glamorgan - Powell, typical county pro in his early/mid 30s, low 40's career and seasonal average.
Gloucestershire - Marshall (batted 4 behind a nightwatchman), not qualified.
Hampshire - Crawley, nearly 38 and declining.
Kent - Jones, tried and failed, rated very highly in the Corrin household, but not in many other places.
Lancashire - Loye, typical county pro in his mid/late 30s, low 40's career average.
Leicestershire - Dippenaar, not qualified.
Middlesex - Shah, tried and failed, rated very highly in the Shah household, but not in many other places.
Northamptonshire - White, typical county pro in his late 20s, mid 30's career average, high 20's average this season.
Nottinghamshire - Wagh, typical county pro in his early/mid 30s, high 30's career and seasonal average.
Somerset - Langer, not qualified.
Surrey - Ramprakash. Nuff said.
Sussex - Joyce, played international one day cricket before. Mid 40's career and seasonal average. Hadn't realised he was already 30, but still has 3 or 4 years in him potentially.
Warwickshire - Troughton, typical county pro in his early 30s, high 30's career and seasonal average.
Worcestershire - Solanki, typical county pro in his early/mid 30s, high 30's career and high 40's seasonal average.
Yorkshire - McGrath, typical county pro in his early/mid 30s, high 30's career and seasonal average.

So the cupboard isn't bare, but if it were my cupboard I'd be off down the supermarket to get some more provisions in PDQ.
As you say, not bare but a horrible indictment of standards in the CC. The other thing to bear in mind is openers who could do a job at 3. But I can see why people are pushing for Joyce based on the above.

Uppercut

Joyce seems like the only option. If in doubt, bring in someone who isn't English.

Uppercut

:laugh: Oh yeah!

We play you guys on the 27th at Stormont. Tickets are a horrendously overpriced £35, and we'll probably get stuffed. But I'll inevitably go anyway because on the off-chance that we beat England I refuse to miss it.

Please pick Eoin Morgan too.

Uppercut

I don't know. Probably not. Can't remember a non-WC/Wt20 game involving Ireland being televised before.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can you do us a favour and get on the next plane to England and tell Shane Warne that? He is almost becoming OCD on talking about how Bopara is batting out of position.
Warne probably means he should be batting 11 :happy:

whoami

Cricket Spectator
After Bopara just went first ball i think it would be stupid playing him in the final test.
Denly, Joyce, Carberry, Trott, there plenty potential replacements.
We need double centuries from Bell and Cook now lol.