Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ravi Bopara - another pretender?

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Michael Vaughan's form over the past 4 years would suggest he wasn't a world class cricketer at all.
    Not sure what that has to do with price of milk but on the point of Vaughan, he had a great tour of Australia and he built a faux reputation of a world class batsman on that.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marcussjd9 View Post
    Honestly can't see him being replaced for the 5th test, so I suppose we look ahead to the squad for South Africa.
    Still expect Bopara will be on the plane tbh.
    I'll be astonished if he isn't, and it's possible that they'll take the "we've given him the hard yards so now we need to back him for easier times" line (neglecting thus the fact that the bowling in SA might easily be of higher calibre than that so far this series). But I do hope Joyce might take his place, he was so unlucky not to get a Test chance 3 years ago.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    He's certainly looked like a pretender against any team that's half-decent.
    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

"There's more chance of SoC making a good post than Smith averaging 99.95." - Furball

"**** you're such a **** poster." - Furball

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Stuart Law (I think it was) was interesting on this last night. He said that an experienced player (KP or Colly or even Bell) absolutely have to take it upon themselves to bat at three, and that it wasn't right to put a new player in there straight away.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    Funny that half of England's possible batting lineup are born overseas.
    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014. 63* for eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    Funny that half of England's possible batting lineup are born overseas.
    Wow, what an observation. I'd never ever noticed that befor nor has anyone else AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    Stuart Law (I think it was) was interesting on this last night. He said that an experienced player (KP or Colly or even Bell) absolutely have to take it upon themselves to bat at three, and that it wasn't right to put a new player in there straight away.
    Unless of course they are a genuine number 3?
    I wouldn't mind Joyce being there tbh. Just find it interesting that everybody we try there "looks better suited to 5 or 6". Bopara shouldn't have played the shot he did today in the situation. IMO somebody with the correct approach for a Test number 3 would not have played such a shot.

Personally, I think blaming his batting position is a bit of a cop-out. He hasn't looked like he's out of position to me; he's just looked terrible. Much as he did against Sri Lanka when he batted #6, funnily enough.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

I'm not blaming his batting position, "the looks better suited to 5 or 6" is a line banded about by the commentary team quite often tbh. I don't agree with it. I don't think he would look a Test class batsmen anywhere he bats. On the prinicple I don't believe him to be a Test quality batsman.

I'm not blaming his batting position, "the looks better suited to 5 or 6" is a line banded about by the commentary team quite often tbh. I don't agree with it. I don't think he would look a Test class batsmen anywhere he bats. On the prinicple I don't believe him to be a Test quality batsman.
    I didn't quote your post; mine wasn't directed at you specifically.

Yea Bopara is just ****. End of story. Mentally feeble and has a bad technique. Oh and he likes to hit shots at head-height through the infield.

Recipe for a totally abject Test batsman.
    World Scrabble Champion 2014. National Scrabble Champion 2009, 2015.
    Author of Word Addict
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    ECB - you are a complete ****ing disgrace, #FTECB

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NUFAN's Avatar
    I'm not usually one that likes taking away a players good performances, but with Bopara if you look at his combined stats against Australia and Sri Lanka he has made 147 runs @ 13.36.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Unless of course they are a genuine number 3?
    I wouldn't mind Joyce being there tbh. Just find it interesting that everybody we try there "looks better suited to 5 or 6". Bopara shouldn't have played the shot he did today in the situation. IMO somebody with the correct approach for a Test number 3 would not have played such a shot.
    I wouldn't even call it 'a shot'. It's like he just puts his bat out there at an angle in a vain attempt to stop the ball. Looks weird, and he's done it twice this series now.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Michael Vaughan's form over the past 4 years would suggest he wasn't a world class cricketer at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    Not sure what that has to do with price of milk but on the point of Vaughan, he had a great tour of Australia and he built a faux reputation of a world class batsman on that.
    Yeah, was going to say something like that too. Vaughan's form over the past four years would suggest that he wasn't a world class cricketer because... he wasn't a world class cricketer. Mediocre batsman, or "solid batsman" if you want to spin it that way.

Excellent captain though.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Personally, I think blaming his batting position is a bit of a cop-out. He hasn't looked like he's out of position to me; he's just looked terrible. Much as he did against Sri Lanka when he batted #6, funnily enough.
    Agreed. Not there technically, not there mentally. Just ****.

Still, assuming as looks likely, that the series is all square at the Oval, who comes in at #3? Certainly not Bell, I dont think Colly is upto it. Is there a case for come back Tresco all is forgiven - at least for one test?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information