• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The English Crowd

Langeveldt

Soutie
Brought about by this story

Barmy Army deny Ponting abuse | Cricket News | The Ashes - England v Australia 2009 | Cricinfo.com

To be honest, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.. Since when has booing been abuse, and since when has anyone been able to take a bit of moral high ground and complain about it?

When I saw the Aussies in Johannesburg, there were 43 thousand people chanting, "Siddle is a Wanker" as he ran into bowl.. To his credit he didn't get all precious about it and complain, he instead fired up the crowd and bowled like an absolute demon all day.. So I might not like the guy, but I have heaps of admiration for him.. Ditto I'd imagine I guy like Warne, who is enough of a champ to realize that it's part of the game, and if he wasn't so good, the crowd wouldn't be so vocal against him..

We tore into the Australians, and it got pretty nasty a number of times actually.. I don't see what their gripe with a few hundred drunks is.. Perhaps thats another of their "Auras" being lost.. No more thick skin and a big dose of metrosexuality.. Maybe they could tell the Sydney hill or whatever it is called now to stay quiet and only applaud during the designated times..

Last edited:

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I was there on the Sunday evening when Ponting came out to bat, and, although I didn't boo him myself, at the time I didn't think anything of it at all. In fact it only increased my admiration for him as a cricketer when he guided his first ball down to third man for three. But in hindsight it does seem a little disrespectful.

That said, there were (slightly) mitigating circumstances. It was very late in the day and so the crowd was naturally at its rowdiest, plus the Johnson/Broad confrontation had raised pulses a bit. And the crowd had given Ponting a standing ovation on the Friday when he became the highest ever Australian runscorer, so it's not a state of complete hatred.

Yet in comparison to the Australian crowds chanting "KILL! KILL! KILL!" at our batsmen when Lillee and Thomson were at their peak, it seems nothing.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah tbh it seems like this is a bit of a strom in a teacup for mine, professional sportsmen in prety much every other sport around the world have to put up with stuff at least as bad as this if not worse in a lot of cases. And besides, if the players have to put up with sledging from other players, I don't see why they get all upset about it when sections of the crowd try and wind them up.

pasag

RTDAS
Reckon it's pretty childish and annoying for the most part, have said the same thing about the poor Australian crowds in the past which are much worse at times. Wouldn't mind if it happened here and there but it's pretty non-stop over the entire series.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeah tbh it seems like this is a bit of a strom in a teacup for mine, professional sportsmen in prety much every other sport around the world have to put up with stuff at least as bad as this if not worse in a lot of cases. And besides, if the players have to put up with sledging from other players, I don't see why they get all upset about it when sections of the crowd try and wind them up.
Well at Joburg we sung "The Roof, The Roof, the Roof is on Fire.. We don't need no Aussies, let those Mother*****rs burn" - in relation to the fires that were going on there at the time.. Obviously Ponting thought that wasn't bad as a few drunks booing him to the crease.. In fact I think they were going on about how hospitable we were?

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
There is never anything untoward. It is always good, light-hearted stuff... They add a lot to the whole experience of the Ashes
From Ponting himself. Don't really like booing unless someone has done something really out of order (like cheating basically), but it's not the cardinal sin some people are making it out to be.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Well at Joburg we sung "The Roof, The Roof, the Roof is on Fire.. We don't need no Aussies, let those Mother*****rs burn" - in relation to the fires that were going on there at the time.. Obviously Ponting thought that wasn't bad as a few drunks booing him to the crease..
No offence mate, but that just makes you all sound like a right set of ****s.

pasag

RTDAS
Well at Joburg we sung "The Roof, The Roof, the Roof is on Fire.. We don't need no Aussies, let those Mother*****rs burn" - in relation to the fires that were going on there at the time.. Obviously Ponting thought that wasn't bad as a few drunks booing him to the crease.. In fact I think they were going on about how hospitable we were?
Pretty poor and not funny.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Reckon it's pretty childish and annoying for the most part, have said the same thing about the poor Australian crowds in the past which are much worse at times. Wouldn't mind if it happened here and there but it's pretty non-stop over the entire series.
Oh yeah I agree with this, I'm not at all a fan of it, I just think that it's hardly worth the fuss that is being made out. I remember how when I went to the first test in 2005 at Lords and everyone booed McGrath (for some unknown reason) when he walked out to bat, with him ultimately having the last laugh, and I was pleased for him that he did.

Indeed it is childish and annoying, but to me it is just one of those things, it's not as bad as something really crass like booing the national anthem of another side as used to be the norm at football matches here (which fortunately now seems to have ceased), it's kind of like a stupid pantomime I suppose.

Langeveldt

Soutie
No offence mate, but that just makes you all sound like a right set of ****s.
Most definitely, which is why I'm more surprised at their outrage at the Barmy's now..

We also have a situation in SA rugby where the kicker gets booed if he is playing away. The commentators always get very precious about it, but isn't that just part of home advantage? Then if he's playing for the Boks he doesn't get the same treatment

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think the fuss has been made because he was booed to the crease rather than booed per se. It's accepted etiquette to give the incoming (and outgoing) batsman a polite ripple, isn't it?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Most definitely, which is why I'm more surprised at their outrage at the Barmy's now..

We also have a situation in SA rugby where the kicker gets booed if he is playing away. The commentators always get very precious about it, but isn't that just part of home advantage? Then if he's playing for the Boks he doesn't get the same treatment
I hate that in rugby. Always thought it was above those sort of things, think the Welsh (who else?) started it.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
That's ****ing disgraceful.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
French more fond of booing their own side most of the time.
Possibly in open play, but the booing of the place kicker was unheard of in the UK until the last decade. I went to see Leicester v Brive in the Heineken Cup final in 1997 at the old Arms Park in Cardiff and was genuinely surprised the travelling Brive fans booed dear old John Liley when he took his kicks.