• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The English Crowd

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Nothing wrong with some good natured banter between fans imo, provided it doesn't develop into something nasty.

Comments like the Yabba one quoted above are just funny imo. Likewise, if it's a panto boo I don't see a problem. If it's a "we're gonna jump the fence and get ugly" boo, obviously different.
I agree with all of this, echoes my thoughts exactly. We've all seen the odd bit of nasty stuff but it's very much the exception; by and large the banter I've experienced at the cricket, Ashes games especially, has been exceptionally good natured.

Beyond this, though, I've got bloody heaps to add (mainly about why St Ricky is singled out for this treatment) but this is maybe not the best place for it. I might post an article in the Ashes blog about it if someone can tell me how I go about doing it.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, Edgbaston isn't the place to go for those folks.

A lot of those I've spoken to quite enjoy the atmosphere though, even if they don't exactly join in.
Having just sat through the Test there I'd say that the Edgbaston atmosphere is fantastic for a day or two, but after that it does get a bit tiresome.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tbh when I went to Lords in 2005 there was some old nice old couple sitting just a few seats away from me who got into an argument with some dickhead lords member who insisted they were sat in his seats. They said no, very politely, and showed him their tickets to show him that they were indeed sat in the right spot. Of course the idiot was having none of this, and starting shouting and getting very animated and aggressive, which was completely out of order, and the old couple looked upset and uncomfortable. In the end some people went and got a steward, who after inspecting the old couple's ticket and the member's ticket directed the member to his correct seat, which was about two rows behind where the old couple was sitting, the **** didn't even apologise, wanker.
Yeah he was an obnoxious toad if ever I saw one, of course he would be the sort to complain about the sort of crowd mentioned in this thread. I do actually find that the most rude individuals are often his type, worst customers are always middle age women of a certain class. To be fair though the atmosphere that day was generally superb, a cricket crowd at its very best.

ripper868

International Coach
Well at Joburg we sung "The Roof, The Roof, the Roof is on Fire.. We don't need no Aussies, let those Mother*****rs burn" - in relation to the fires that were going on there at the time.. Obviously Ponting thought that wasn't bad as a few drunks booing him to the crease.. In fact I think they were going on about how hospitable we were?
Terrible form, all involved can **** off and die.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Brought about by this story

Barmy Army deny Ponting abuse | Cricket News | The Ashes - England v Australia 2009 | Cricinfo.com

To be honest, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.. Since when has booing been abuse, and since when has anyone been able to take a bit of moral high ground and complain about it?

When I saw the Aussies in Johannesburg, there were 43 thousand people chanting, "Siddle is a Wanker" as he ran into bowl.. To his credit he didn't get all precious about it and complain, he instead fired up the crowd and bowled like an absolute demon all day.. So I might not like the guy, but I have heaps of admiration for him.. Ditto I'd imagine I guy like Warne, who is enough of a champ to realize that it's part of the game, and if he wasn't so good, the crowd wouldn't be so vocal against him..

We tore into the Australians, and it got pretty nasty a number of times actually.. I don't see what their gripe with a few hundred drunks is.. Perhaps thats another of their "Auras" being lost.. No more thick skin and a big dose of metrosexuality.. Maybe they could tell the Sydney hill or whatever it is called now to stay quiet and only applaud during the designated times..
I don't see Ponting complaining at all...? Isn't it mainly the officials

pup11

International Coach
I don't see Ponting complaining at all...? Isn't it mainly the officials
Yeah, big deal is made out of this by the officials, to Ponting's credit he hasn't made much fuss about such issues, but people just tend to blame him for everything, because afterall he is captain grumpy...

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah he was an obnoxious toad if ever I saw one, of course he would be the sort to complain about the sort of crowd mentioned in this thread. I do actually find that the most rude individuals are often his type, worst customers are always middle age women of a certain class. To be fair though the atmosphere that day was generally superb, a cricket crowd at its very best.
Yeah I would absolutely agree. It was in fact probably the best atmosphere I have ever experienced at any sporting event I've attended come to think of it.