• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The English Crowd

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
The crowds can be pretty unpleasant, but I think it's worse for the other punters than the players. My Gran and Grandad won't go to tests any more because of the language and drunkenness, which I think is really sad actually. And there was a poor girl when I went once, she was pretty good looking and every time she stood up there was lots of lecherous jeering. She got her boyfriend to go get drinks all the time in the end and she looked a bit upset, I felt sorry for her. Mostly it's fun, but it does go OTT sometimes when it's spoiling things for other people.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The crowds can be pretty unpleasant, but I think it's worse for the other punters than the players. My Gran and Grandad won't go to tests any more because of the language and drunkenness, which I think is really sad actually. And there was a poor girl when I went once, she was pretty good looking and every time she stood up there was lots of lecherous jeering. She got her boyfriend to go get drinks all the time in the end and she looked a bit upset, I felt sorry for her. Mostly it's fun, but it does go OTT sometimes when it's spoiling things for other people.
This is something I completely agree with, I feel a lot more for the other people in the crowd who have their day out spoilt by a load of idiots. I really hate it when I go to a football match and see a 30 something year old guy with his 7-8 year old kid sat there amongst a bunch of louts who are swearing/being racist or foul and abusive, it's just plain old not fair. People should have the right to attend these sort of events without having to worry about this sort of thing. It also bugs me how a lot of crowds seem to be made up of louts who genuinely do not really give half a **** about the sport on display, and are just there to get a bit drunk and shout, and as a result, people who genuinely care about what is going on have their day spoiled a bit or even can't get into see anything due to a lack of tickets. Of course there is room for people to have a laugh and enjoy themselves at these sorts of events, but in some cases there really is a fine line between one persons enjoyment and anothers detriment.

jondavluc

State Regular
Now that is horrible and should be stopped imo.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Be fair to the Aussies, all the complaining about this seems to have come from within these shores.

Don't think it's a big deal and neither does Ponting. I'm so much less inclined to boo at cricket than I am at footy though. When we played Liverpool in a friendly last year I sure as hell did boo Steven Gerrard, got nothing against him, it was just for fun.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Reckon we should give him an amazing reception, get a few people to run on and hug him, the works

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:no: what would Yabba have had to say about such behaviour?

"I wish you were a statue and I were a pigeon."

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Yeah I saw a bit of that on Sunday/Monday as well, so much so that me and my mate who was watching with me agreed that we'd never bring girls to the cricket. But we should be able to.

Some of the stuff is genuinely funny and good-natured - one bloke who gave the Fanatics (or the 'Pathetics', as he liked to call them) a fair few humorous insults throughout the day went and bought them some beers after tea and then went and sat with them. And there were chants of 'We love the Aussies...' towards the end of the day. There is no real problem between the supporters. Speaking to some on-duty policemen on Sunday during tea ('Overtime at Edgbaston? Five days? Ashes Test? No problem...'), they said that they'd only had a handful of ejections during the game and one scuffle between an Australian and an Englishman, who were taken out of the stand, shook hands, and were allowed back in.

As sledger said, the people I feel sorry for are the paying spectators who want a quieter day at the cricket. If you don't want to put up with the banter and chanting, you shouldn't have to. Possibly there should be some kind of disclaimer when buying tickets? There was an elderly couple sat right next to the Fanatics, and I felt pretty sorry for them.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Tbh when I went to Lords in 2005 there was some old nice old couple sitting just a few seats away from me who got into an argument with some dickhead lords member who insisted they were sat in his seats. They said no, very politely, and showed him their tickets to show him that they were indeed sat in the right spot. Of course the idiot was having none of this, and starting shouting and getting very animated and aggressive, which was completely out of order, and the old couple looked upset and uncomfortable. In the end some people went and got a steward, who after inspecting the old couple's ticket and the member's ticket directed the member to his correct seat, which was about two rows behind where the old couple was sitting, the **** didn't even apologise, wanker.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As sledger said, the people I feel sorry for are the paying spectators who want a quieter day at the cricket. If you don't want to put up with the banter and chanting, you shouldn't have to. Possibly there should be some kind of disclaimer when buying tickets? There was an elderly couple sat right next to the Fanatics, and I felt pretty sorry for them.
Haha, Edgbaston isn't the place to go for those folks.

A lot of those I've spoken to quite enjoy the atmosphere though, even if they don't exactly join in.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I saw a bit of that on Sunday/Monday as well, so much so that me and my mate who was watching with me agreed that we'd never bring girls to the cricket. But we should be able to.

Some of the stuff is genuinely funny and good-natured - one bloke who gave the Fanatics (or the 'Pathetics', as he liked to call them) a fair few humorous insults throughout the day went and bought them some beers after tea and then went and sat with them. And there were chants of 'We love the Aussies...' towards the end of the day. There is no real problem between the supporters. Speaking to some on-duty policemen on Sunday during tea ('Overtime at Edgbaston? Five days? Ashes Test? No problem...'), they said that they'd only had a handful of ejections during the game and one scuffle between an Australian and an Englishman, who were taken out of the stand, shook hands, and were allowed back in.

This. Nothing wrong with some good natured banter between fans imo, provided it doesn't develop into something nasty.

Comments like the Yabba one quoted above are just funny imo. Likewise, if it's a panto boo I don't see a problem. If it's a "we're gonna jump the fence and get ugly" boo, obviously different.

duffer

AUSTRALIAN players are privately seething at the antics of fan group the Barmy Army, which mercilessly taunted them at Edgbaston.

I love how newspapers can make these type of statements yet every quote from the players seems to suggest it's water off a duck's back to them.

If they are bothered by it then it'd be htfu time but I'd suggest trying to find a way back into the series is more concerning to the team than a few drunk Englishmen who are just enjoying themselves.

duffer

Yes, but even if it is burning them up inside they should have more important things to be concerning themselves with. Like getting their **** together on the field.