Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The English Crowd

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...009880,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Ponting
    I am told that some people have been upset about the fact that some English fans were booing me, but I thought it was a terrific atmosphere to play in.
    Ricky certainly doesn't seemed bothered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Death
    Dumb I told him"the serpent that never dies is dead I took her life three thousend years ago! the never ending battle has ended"

Awesome Test XI

Tillekeratne Dilshan
    Simon Katich
    Ricky Ponting (c)
    Michael Hussey
    Michael Clarke
    AB de Villiers
    Brad Haddin (k)
    Daniel Vettori
    Peter Siddle
    Dong Bollinger
    Ben Hilfenhaus

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    Well at Joburg we sung "The Roof, The Roof, the Roof is on Fire.. We don't need no Aussies, let those Mother*****rs burn" - in relation to the fires that were going on there at the time.. Obviously Ponting thought that wasn't bad as a few drunks booing him to the crease.. In fact I think they were going on about how hospitable we were?
    That's ****ing disgraceful.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Ha, nah, 'twas yer French.
    French more fond of booing their own side most of the time.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    French more fond of booing their own side most of the time.
    Possibly in open play, but the booing of the place kicker was unheard of in the UK until the last decade. I went to see Leicester v Brive in the Heineken Cup final in 1997 at the old Arms Park in Cardiff and was genuinely surprised the travelling Brive fans booed dear old John Liley when he took his kicks.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Ha, nah, 'twas yer French.
    Haha well my Dad swears that it was the Welsh, but I won't miss an opportunity for putting the boot into the frogs, so I'll agree that they both did it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    The crowds can be pretty unpleasant, but I think it's worse for the other punters than the players. My Gran and Grandad won't go to tests any more because of the language and drunkenness, which I think is really sad actually. And there was a poor girl when I went once, she was pretty good looking and every time she stood up there was lots of lecherous jeering. She got her boyfriend to go get drinks all the time in the end and she looked a bit upset, I felt sorry for her. Mostly it's fun, but it does go OTT sometimes when it's spoiling things for other people.

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    The crowds can be pretty unpleasant, but I think it's worse for the other punters than the players. My Gran and Grandad won't go to tests any more because of the language and drunkenness, which I think is really sad actually. And there was a poor girl when I went once, she was pretty good looking and every time she stood up there was lots of lecherous jeering. She got her boyfriend to go get drinks all the time in the end and she looked a bit upset, I felt sorry for her. Mostly it's fun, but it does go OTT sometimes when it's spoiling things for other people.
    This is something I completely agree with, I feel a lot more for the other people in the crowd who have their day out spoilt by a load of idiots. I really hate it when I go to a football match and see a 30 something year old guy with his 7-8 year old kid sat there amongst a bunch of louts who are swearing/being racist or foul and abusive, it's just plain old not fair. People should have the right to attend these sort of events without having to worry about this sort of thing. It also bugs me how a lot of crowds seem to be made up of louts who genuinely do not really give half a **** about the sport on display, and are just there to get a bit drunk and shout, and as a result, people who genuinely care about what is going on have their day spoiled a bit or even can't get into see anything due to a lack of tickets. Of course there is room for people to have a laugh and enjoy themselves at these sorts of events, but in some cases there really is a fine line between one persons enjoyment and anothers detriment.

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    Now that is horrible and should be stopped imo.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Be fair to the Aussies, all the complaining about this seems to have come from within these shores.

Don't think it's a big deal and neither does Ponting. I'm so much less inclined to boo at cricket than I am at footy though. When we played Liverpool in a friendly last year I sure as hell did boo Steven Gerrard, got nothing against him, it was just for fun.
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Spectator
    By making a big deal out of this, won't it just egg the crowd on to boo Ricky even harder in the next test?
    Bring back Boof!

Quote Originally Posted by jackster83 View Post
    By making a big deal out of this, won't it just egg the crowd on to boo Ricky even harder in the next test?
    I would imagine it will tbh.

Reckon we should give him an amazing reception, get a few people to run on and hug him, the works

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Reckon we should give him an amazing reception, get a few people to run on and hug him, the works
    Get a sub fielder to do it imo, that would go down a storm.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    That's ****ing disgraceful.
    Had opened the original post in a new tab to write those exact three words.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information