Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jonathan Trott

Pinball Champion!
    Haha and what did SA get in return? Me..

He's got a very English accent for mine though, and doesn't sound put on like Pietersen's.. He'll do well and should have been playing for England long before scraps like Bopara were picked up..

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post
    Flutey.
    Mike Catt as well.. He's from about three streets away..

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    Haha and what did SA get in return? Me..

He's got a very English accent for mine though, and doesn't sound put on like Pietersen's.. He'll do well and should have been playing for England long before scraps like Bopara were picked up..
    Naaah. Sounds pretty clearly SA to my ears, although it's not as strong as KP's. Imagine that's because English is his first langauge and KP's is Afrikans tho.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Naaah. Sounds pretty clearly SA to my ears, although it's not as strong as KP's. Imagine that's because English is his first langauge and KP's is Afrikans tho.
    Yeah it's clear where he's from, but he's got stacks of English in his accent.. Clearly way too much to have a hope of scoring any runs..

International Captain
    Absolutely slaughtered by Jack Bannister on Talk Sport yesterday for having a technique totally unsuited to Test cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Absolutely slaughtered by Jack Bannister on Talk Sport yesterday for having a technique totally unsuited to Test cricket.
    So relieved that I don't have to put up with his drivel these days, unless I'm forced to listen to TalkSport in the back of a cab, with its pearls of cricketing wisdom from experts such as Jack Bannister and Ian Wright.

Whatever happens in this game, it's nice to see Ricky Ponting's words rammed down his throat. The selectors' "act of desperation" appears to have paid off pretty well...

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Whatever happens in this game, it's nice to see Ricky Ponting's words rammed down his throat. The selectors' "act of desperation" appears to have paid off pretty well...
    Strange thing for Ponting to say, really. Replacing a bloke who hasn't made a score in 4 tests seems less desperation than common sense to me. Especially as the replacement is averaging nigh on 100 an innings for the season.

Bringing back Ramps would've looked more like desperation, although I still reckon he'd have scored more than Bell or Collingwood had he played.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    With Trott playing the role which effectively Collingwood is in the team for much more effectively than Collingwood himself, one has to wonder how long Collingwood can last in the team, as Trott is now clearly undroppable, and rightfully so. Bell is unlikely to be dropped either, rightly or wrongly, and that leaves very little space for poor old Colly once Pietersen is fit, which fortunately for him won't be for a while, so he will probably get the chance to play himself back into contention. If he is not in the side by this time next year, I would not be surprised.

Oh come on - why in the world can't we have Pietersen - Trott - Collingwood as a middle order?
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Strange thing for Ponting to say, really. Replacing a bloke who hasn't made a score in 4 tests seems less desperation than common sense to me. Especially as the replacement is averaging nigh on 100 an innings for the season.

Bringing back Ramps would've looked more like desperation, although I still reckon he'd have scored more than Bell or Collingwood had he played.
    Ponting would have just been saying that to try and put some pressure on Trott I'd imagine, I don't think there's any need to read to much into it.

Zaremba seems to overreact every time Ponting's quoted in the papers. Trott's done well and good luck to him. For mine he was always going to be a better choice than Bopara and Ramprakash regardless of what happened in this test. The selectors picking him when he was in form was a positive move.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post

He's got a very English accent for mine ..
    Not "for mine" Probably because he sounded blatently South African before he even finished his first sentance.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Good job by Trott yesterday, I didn't see his innings bar a couple of shots here or there but he must have batted well.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Ponting would have just been saying that to try and put some pressure on Trott I'd imagine, I don't think there's any need to read to much into it.

Zaremba seems to overreact every time Ponting's quoted in the papers. Trott's done well and good luck to him. For mine he was always going to be a better choice than Bopara and Ramprakash regardless of what happened in this test. The selectors picking him when he was in form was a positive move.
    Evidence suggests that as he was not developed in England, he was likely to be a superior player to Bopara and Ramps. Tougher criteria for making it as a youngster and a better development system.
    Last edited by Redbacks; 22-08-2009 at 10:04 PM.

He sounded very South African when interviewed the other night. By saying it was the realisation of a boyhood dream proves that people aspire to play test cricket, not for their countries.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information