• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are you England in Disguise

Matt79

Global Moderator
Tim de Lisle said:
A left-arm seamer who sprays it around, a wholehearted swinger who bowls tidy long spells, a quick with decent pace but not many wickets to show for it, and an amiable finger spinner who likes to pitch well outside off: yes, after searching long and hard, Australia have finally found their answer to Alan Mullally, Martin Bicknell, Devon Malcolm and Robert Croft.
ouch

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Should come up with stuff like this once the series is over, if Australia win the remaining two tests all this ends up looking pretty stupid.
Nah. It holds true as at this point. It is good fun, nothing more.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Should come up with stuff like this once the series is over, if Australia win the remaining two tests all this ends up looking pretty stupid.
Get your kicks in while you can, is the theory here I reckon.

Pigeon

Banned
Like McGrath's pre-series prediction of 5-0 in favor of Australia and Clarke's assertion that this squad is as good as any other squad which toured England before.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
Like McGrath's pre-series prediction of 5-0 in favor of Australia and Clarke's assertion that this squad is as good as any other squad which toured England before.
I am amazed at English fans ability to wipe out the 2006/07 series. Its like you have erased it from your memory or it is the "the series who must not be named" . Listening/reading English commentators and they mentioned the 2005 series 2634235372645 times more than the more recent series.

Australia did beat England 5-0. McGrath's premonition was just 18 months early.

You do realise that if Australia win at Headingley then Australia is in the box seat to retain the Ashes. Remember, Australia doesnt have to win the series. Or are you still under the impression England are the current holders of the Ashes because you wiped the 2006/07 series from your memory?

Pigeon

Banned
I am amazed at English fans ability to wipe out the 2006/07 series. Its like you have erased it from your memory or it is the "the series who must not be named" . Listening/reading English commentators and they mentioned the 2005 series 2634235372645 times more than the more recent series.

Australia did beat England 5-0. McGrath's premonition was just 18 months early.

You do realise that if Australia win at Headingley then Australia is in the box seat to retain the Ashes. Remember, Australia doesnt have to win the series. Or are you still under the impression England are the current holders of the Ashes because you wiped the 2006/07 series from your memory?
I am talking about the present Ashes series. McGrath and Clarke said their piece on the 2009 Ashes series only. and for your information, England are 1-0 up in this series. It is you who is living in the past mate.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
I am talking about the present Ashes series. McGrath and Clarke said their piece on the 2009 Ashes series only. and for your information, England are 1-0 up in this series. It is you who is living in the past mate.
I haven't heard McGrath make many comments on the current series. He has bigger issues on his mind.

What do you expect Clarke to say? Our 2 best bowlers are injured and the other out of form and that we have an opener not ready for an Ashes series and a middle order batsmen way out of form? Did English fans even believe Andy Flower when he said it would be no big deal if Pietersen and Flintoff were both out injured?

Of course I realise England is 1-0 and 2-1 if you had to award wins for the draws, though Australia totally dominated the English bowling on day 5 at Edgbaston. But the series isnt over yet. The English fans and press are talking as if they've already won the Ashes. No one seems to be making the point that all Australia need is 1 win and the pressure is back on England. Unless England win at Headingley Australia can still retain the Ashes.

While England has played the better cricket lets put some things in perspective.

The top wicket taker and top run scorer are Australian.

Australians have scores 6 centuries to England's 1.

Flintoff's bowling average is higher than his batting average which is a very respectable 42.75.

Anderson can only take wickets when the ball is swinging.

Stuart Broad's bowling stats are way worse than Mitchell Johnson's. (he's only averaging 4 more runs with the bat)

Nathan Hauritz has taken 10 wickets@32 runs compared to Swann's 6@57 runs.

Its not like England is dominating the series like Australia from 1989 to 2002/2003 and again in 2006/2007. Not to say that England can't win or don't deserve to win. But the series is still alive.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
What else do you expect them to say...?

Obviously McGrath wants his side to win all the games they play in, and as the vice-captain of the side you don't expect Clarke to say anything else then what he said about his squad.

Though all that is hardly comparable to what a journalist says in the middle of a hard contested series, which still could go either way, because if Australia win the series from here, this same bloke would be going gaga all over them.

Pigeon

Banned
What else do you expect them to say...?

Obviously McGrath wants his side to win all the games they play in, and as the vice-captain of the side you don't expect Clarke to say anything else then what he said about his squad.

Though all that is hardly comparable to what a journalist says in the middle of a hard contested series, which still could go either way, because if Australia win the series from here, this same bloke would be going gaga all over them.
Well, what else do you expect an English scribe to say then? :tongue:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
That made me smile. slippyslip and pup11 need to develop a sense of humour.

Love Tim de Lisle's cricket writing. Should stick to that and stop spewing pap about music.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Love Tim de Lisle's writings on cricket. He was kind enough to respond to a mail by me a few years back. Have good regards for him.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Meh, I remember in 2005 when it was 1-0 to the Aussies there were all sorts of jokes flying around. Think there was a thread of them in fact, which Scaly dug at the end. Might find it.