• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at Headingley

pup11

International Coach
Yesterday was one unbelievable day of test cricket, goes without saying that we are in a pretty good position atm, but I think a lot of work is still to be done, we have a great chance to bat England out of the game in this innings itself, but a morning session similar to the one at Edgbaston on day 2 would ruin any chances of that.

Still very disappointed with the way Watto, Ponting and Huss got out, as on a deck that is doing a bit, playing across the line is hardly a smart thing to do, and all of them were guilty of doing so, but as it has been mentioned already the lengths the English bowlers bowled for most part of the day was pretty baffling, and no doubt it made the job that much easier for our batsmen in those conditions.

I still think Harmison is the best replacement for Freddie, unlike Freddie he doesn't have the same control, but still he is a pretty intimidating opponent for the opposition players, and he showed what he can bring to the table in the last hour of yesterday's play, its the other English bowlers who were really below par, and frankly speaking for a guy like Harmy to be effective, he needs some good support from
the other end, which was clearly missing yesterday.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Whatever his faults and deficiencies may be, especially as a bowler, he is rarely going to let you (or his captains down) down for lack of trying.
It's the effort that counts aye? I haven't heard a coach say that since I was about 9. Good to see that philosophy holds true in Test Cricket.

pup11

International Coach
Agreed, way too inconsistent and hit and miss. Tends to go missing too. Sidebottom should have played instead of Harmison. Speaking of Broad, am still surprised at how much crap he gets on CW. Whatever his faults and deficiencies may be, especially as a bowler, he is rarely going to let you (or his captains down) down for lack of trying.

Just saw the highlights. Bit worried about Jimmy. Really looked out of sorts. Hope he recovers overnight, because the lack of their spearhead and genuine swing bowler will hurt England bad tomorrow - if he isnt fit, I see little chance of getting Australia out for under 300, and more likely 400+ and that should be all she wrote. Clarke looking like another ton too, tbh. And jeez, didnt Ponting smash them around! Imperious.
I don't think anybody is saying that Broad doesn't have any potential, maybe in a few years time he could develop himself into a good test bowler for England, but he certainly doesn't deserve the kind backing he is getting from the English management atm.

They rate him as Freddie Flintoff' second coming, which he is clearly not, and not only that, atm neither is he good enough to nail a place in the test side ahead of other deserving players.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah, as awesome as Watto has looked in his last three innings, he really should be scoring tons in these circumstances. He's in superb form and getting to 50 without a worry in the world and missing straight ones once Australia are on top; it's odd. He'll inevitably have a run of outs eventually so he needs to cash in more when things are going well for him.
Was thinking the same thing when he got out yesterday, I just think its a concentration thing more than anything else, probably tends to enter in a comfort zone of sorts once he reaches his 50, and lets a technical glitch surface out of nowhere.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Agreed, way too inconsistent and hit and miss. Tends to go missing too. Sidebottom should have played instead of Harmison. Speaking of Broad, am still surprised at how much crap he gets on CW. Whatever his faults and deficiencies may be, especially as a bowler, he is rarely going to let you (or his captains down) down for lack of trying.
I wouldn't let England down for a lack of trying either. Pissant just doesn't have the weapons (or any weapons really) to be successful with the ball yet. He may very well become a decent test bowler, but letting him bowl his tripe and average 40 is doing more harm than good.

pup11

International Coach
Haha, it took AUS 18 months of avoiding picking 4-seamers & immediately when the play - BANGGG. Just hope they stick with it for good now.

But it seems like the stupid bug left the AUS selectors & went straight over to ENG. Foolish balance, even if Trott or no other ENG batsman in the country offers much confidence. Surely picking Broad bat @ 7 is nonsense. 3 seamers & Swann should have been playing along with 6 bats.
Its introduction of Clark that has made all the difference, he kept the runs down, and bowled a nagging line and length and virtually choked the English line-up, and also its doesn't hurt when you are getting some assistance from the conditions as well.

Craig

World Traveller
If I were an England fan and I was the Test I would be writing a letter to Andrew Strauss demanding a refund.

howardj

International Coach
Anyway enjoy it. You'll be all out before tea and we'll have a first innings lead by stumps.
haha I remember reading this yesterday at work - never thought it would materialise though.

modest prediction in the end.

howardj

International Coach
FMD.

This bitch is clueless with league and now, in her first cricket piece, she ends up with egg on her face.

**** I hate the Daily Telegraph journos. (Piers excepted!)

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I keep forgetting we have a subforum for the Ashes....

Just popping in to mention that Aussies have finally picked a side that plays to their strengths. PIck four best bowlers, not three bowlers plus a random spinner.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I keep forgetting we have a subforum for the Ashes....

Just popping in to mention that Aussies have finally picked a side that plays to their strengths. PIck four best bowlers, not three bowlers plus a random spinner.
Did you get that Ronnie Coote mate? :naughty:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It's slang for what? We're separated by a common language, it seems. America needs to take over the world, and establish true English as the world language. :p

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's slang for what? We're separated by a common language, it seems. America needs to take over the world, and establish true English as the world language. :p
I know. I felt the same way until I got used to the way they speak in The Wire.

Anyway, root = the act of procreation, so to speak.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I know. I felt the same way until I got used to the way they speak in The Wire.

Anyway, root = the act of procreation, so to speak.
And why every Australian sniggers every time an American says, "I'm rooting for that guy".

That makes you a very unselfish lover, ftr.

ripper868

International Coach
Haven't read any posts yet...just thought I'd say.

I Love Stu Clark
I Love Pete Siddle
I love that there is no sign of rain and it's only day 2.