Page 5 of 124 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: *Official* Fourth Test at Headingley

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Key is not someone I can see long-term in this side, but for the time being he can come in and do a job for two games.
    Funnily enough, I reckon he might just have a chance of an extended run if he makes a go of it. Most of our batting options look like natural #5 or 6s (Bopara, Bell, Collingwood) and, whilst you might fancy either of the latter two to maybe get away at #4, obvious it's the one position that seems set in stone and they'd get nosebleeds a spot higher. With Mick now giving it away we don't really have a natural #3 (Shah clearly not of the requisitie class), so there is a chance IMHO.

Plus he's still only 30, I think, despite having been around for years.
    Last edited by BoyBrumby; 04-08-2009 at 04:02 AM.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Maybe, I don't know, I don't think we should assume that just because it's Headingley it's not worth picking a spinner.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Funnily enough, I reckon he might just have a chance of an extended run if he makes a go of it. Most of our batting options look like natural #5 or 6s (Bopara, Bell, Collingwood) and, whilst you might fancy either of the latter two to maybe get away at #4, obvious it's the one position that seems set in stone and they'd get nosebleeds a spot higher. With Mick now giving it away we don't really have a natural #3 (Shah clearly not of the requisitie class), so there is a cance IMHO.

Plus he's still only 30, I think, despite having been around for years.
    Definitely agree about the point about them being 5s or 6s. Thought it when I was making my post but didn't want to stray too far away from the Test ahead of us. If Bell makes runs in one of the two Tests ahead, I reckon he can consider his place regained, but it's the batting order that then needs sorting. I think we've established that Pietersen isn't going to move up to 3 (and I'm not sure he should, anyway) so Key would be a decent shout.

I'm not as big on the importance of batting position as some, but you can make a case for 3 being the spot that requires the most versatility so we definitely need someone who feels comfortable there. If Key is the man, then fair enough. I just get the feeling that if he was in the long-term plans of the selectors he'd have been picked over the last 18 months, but then again, the other players they wanted to use have failed, so plan B it is.

Might be a moot point anyway if they stick with Bopara.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Maybe, I don't know, I don't think we should assume that just because it's Headingley it's not worth picking a spinner.
    Well obviously you look at the pitch first. I'd definitely be looking at McDonald in for Hauritz though unless it suggests something otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Well Hauritz isn't going to do anything, and if McDonald's not doing the job, at least you've strengthened the tail considerably.
    Wouldn't mind that crystal ball you have.

Seriously, everyone was saying the same damn thing before the series started, (me included, tbh). At some point you have to admit he's been one of the better bowlers on decks which haven't suited him. Otherwise it's just denial and conventional wisdom. You're a strong proponent of picking the best team, Hauritz is in it as far as Aus are going, ahead of McD.

Moot point regardless; no way will Aus go into the side without him. Even, I'd hazard, if the pitch was green.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 04-08-2009 at 04:17 AM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Just saw a bit of an interview with Ponting and the vibe I'm getting is that changes will only be made if Lee and Haddin are available. Clark & McDonald may as well get on the plane now.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Clark has every right to wonder what he's done wrong. If he can't get a bowl at Leeds he ain't ever gonna get one.

Love Siddle, think he'll be star and is good for the game, but from what I've seen in the three tests so far I'd still be picking Clark first. Unless there are injury issues we aren't aware of, I suppose.

Might just be a Hoggardesque thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Wouldn't mind that crystal ball you have.

Seriously, everyone was saying the same damn thing before the series started, (me included, tbh). At some point you have to admit he's been one of the better bowlers on decks which haven't suited him. Otherwise it's just denial and conventional wisdom. You're a strong proponent of picking the best team, Hauritz is in it as far as Aus are going, ahead of McD.

Moot point regardless; no way will Aus go into the side without him. Even, I'd hazard, if the pitch was green.
    I've been fairly pro-Hauritz as the series has gone on, but I still think the almost equally-maligned McDonald would do more damage at Headingley (assuming it all reverts to type, of course). I've nothing against Hauritz, but McDonald's a more than useful bowler too. And he brings in more batting. It strikes me as odd that Australia were willing to bring Hauritz into the team on the "horses for courses" idea but aren't willing to remove him from the team for the same reason.

It won't happen, of course. But I'm backing McDonald.

Might just be a Hoggardesque thing?
    Cue someone reeling out the line about him actually having been bad for ages, carefully cutting the stats to include his 13 wickets @ 37 in Australia that were better than any other English player.

Hmm, maybe, by Hoggardesque thing I meant that maybe the selectors see something we don't. I don't buy that Hoggy upset anyone and nor do I buy that he was dropped on the basis of one game. He had had a strange time of it in the preceeding couple of years - he was good in Australia and Sri Lanka, but hadn't been as good at home in 06 & 07 IMO

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    Ponting says Australia have turned the corner

Interesting assessment this from Ponting, from where I look at it, we got bowled out pretty cheaply in the 1st innings,and then allowed England once again to post a 1st innings score of 350+ despite having them 168/5.

The batting effort in the 2nd innings showed a lot of resolve and determination, and probably Ponting thinks that it would lift the morale of the side and help them perform better in the next game, Ponting's words also indicate that they might go with an unchanged side into the next test.
    Yeah 21 overs 2 wickets for 92, certainly turned a corner.

Bopara, Broad, and Hauritz will play at Headingley whilst Clark wont

Just my 2 cents worth

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I've been fairly pro-Hauritz as the series has gone on, but I still think the almost equally-maligned McDonald would do more damage at Headingley (assuming it all reverts to type, of course). I've nothing against Hauritz, but McDonald's a more than useful bowler too. And he brings in more batting. It strikes me as odd that Australia were willing to bring Hauritz into the team on the "horses for courses" idea but aren't willing to remove him from the team for the same reason.

It won't happen, of course. But I'm backing McDonald.
    Hey I'm a McD backer too but I dunno if you can call Hauritz a horses-for-courses pick any more. For mine, things have changed and reckon he should be a regular pick unless the prevailing conditions are ridiculously in favour of one of the other bowlers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
    Yeah 21 overs 2 wickets for 92, certainly turned a corner.
    Look beyond the stats. Just watching him bowl, aside from when he turned all macho stupid bowler against Broad, pretty clear he's bowling better. Not 'well' yet but better.

Not unusual for bowlers to have slow starts to series'. Curtly Ambrose, for example.

Page 5 of 124 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread Information