• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Re: 5 day Headingley Tickets

Spider

Cricket Spectator
Re: 5 day Headingley Tickets

Hi, I'm considering buying 2 tickets for the 5th day of the Headingley test for my dads birthday. I was wondering if you guys had any insight as to how likely it was to go to the 5th day. I realise non of you can predict the future (if only) but perhaps you might be able to give me some info as to how the pitch normally plays and whether you think its worth going for the tickets.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Too risky unless you've got money to throw away. If you buy tickets for day 5 at Headingley there are no circumstances under which you''ll get your money back if there's no play.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looking at the last three County Championship games played the pitch seems to be favouring bowlers a bit as is usually the case there.

The most recent FC game at Headingley:

Yorkshire v Durham at Leeds, Jul 10-13, 2009 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Durham 178 & 421-9dec played 318 and 98-4 (draw). I seem to remember Durham's batsmen had a lot of close escapes in that game. The big scores were boosted a lot by lower order resilience.

Yorkshire v Somerset at Leeds, Jun 11-14, 2009 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

277 & 248 v 230 & 296-6 (won)

Yorkshire v Sussex at Leeds, Jun 6-9, 2009 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

225 & 272-7dec v 217 & 257-8 (drawn)

So these games have lasted the 4 days, but a lot of that has been down to rain. The last two Tests at Headingley have both finished early on the 4th day, but they were both very one-sided games where one team racked up 500 and the other got blown away twice.

Here's the list of Tests played at Headingley:

Aggregate/overall records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

Having said all this you really can't really say with any great certainty. But a 5th day ticket at Headingley is definitely a big gamble.

If you're free to choose other days/venues etc. then I'm sure someone will be happy to advise on alternatives.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Hi, I'm considering buying 2 tickets for the 5th day of the Headingley test for my dads birthday.I was wondering if you guys had any insight as to how likely it was to go to the 5th day. I realise non of you can predict the future (if only) but perhaps you might be able to give me some info as to how the pitch normally plays and whether you think its worth going for the tickets.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
I hope Mr Spider had an alternative present up his sleeve.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes, which by the way is another typical money grabbing initiative from English cricket - and a totally disgraceful one at that. Basically that's legalised theft.