• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

KP Out

tooextracool

International Coach
Disagree v strongly with this. If Pietersen walks out in front of a bus tomorrow he'll still be the first Englishman (yeah, yeah, I know...) to average 50+ over his career since dear old Kenny Barrington.

I'm of the opinion he'll end up as the highest English test run maker of all-time and will end with an average in excess of 50. Can't call that unfulfilled, surely?
averaging 50 looks good on paper, but we are also talking about an era of flatter pitches and worse bowling attacks which he has had the opportunity to gorge himself on. Given his talent, I would venture to think that he would like to end his career averaging somewhere close to what Ponting is averaging, somewhere close to the mid 50s.

For the record, even though Pietersen has a higher average and will undoubtedly end up with more runs, I would rank Graham Thorpe as a much better player than him if all things stay the same (i.e. Pietersen doesn't step up his game) until the end of his career. Thorpe btw, from 2001 onwards, a time period that is widely considered to have seen the introduction of flatter tracks and less effective bowling, Thorpe was averaging 55+. This despite all the personal and injury issues that he was carrying on his shoulder for part of it. There is no doubt for me that Pietersen is undoubtedly the more talented player, but I suspect that he will still end up with an inferior career to that of Graham Thorpe.

Last edited:

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Disagree v strongly with this. If Pietersen walks out in front of a bus tomorrow he'll still be the first Englishman (yeah, yeah, I know...) to average 50+ over his career since dear old Kenny Barrington.

I'm of the opinion he'll end up as the highest English test run maker of all-time and will end with an average in excess of 50. Can't call that unfulfilled, surely?
I am quite willing to put a bet on that dear KP will not average 50+ or maybe 51+ if he plays till he's 35 (like he's said he wants to). I'm saying this based on the careers of similar players, many of the players who finished with averages around that point averaged 55+ when they were at Pieteresen's curent point in their careers, age catches up with us all and eventually his reflexes and footwork will slow a touch and the faults in his technique will be exposed a bit more, and judging by his rather gung ho attitude to batting I think he'll find this especially tough to deal with. Look at Ponting, he's still a fantastic player but his stats are considerably below his career mark since 07ish. Tendulkar is basically the only one who's really lasted (Lara did too to an extent) past 34ish in the modern era, and that's down to his perfect technique and willingness to adapt. Even the great Viv faded considerably by the end and he's not an entirely different player. Hmmm highest ever England run scorer, he'll need 4200+ runs over the next 6 years which is tough but doable, I reckon he'll get the most hundreds by a distance but fall just short of Gooch (injuries will throw a spanner in the works), unless he pushes himself past 35 and plays for the record.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard, surely the fact that pretty much everyone has disagreed with you would indicate that perhaps he's not clearly the better batsman?
No, it's just that everyone else is clearly wrong and don't know what they're talking about.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You'd have thought with 2 years off people'd get tired of the same ridiculously over-used put-downs, but no, not to be.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I am quite willing to put a bet on that dear KP will not average 50+ or maybe 51+ if he plays till he's 35 (like he's said he wants to). I'm saying this based on the careers of similar players, many of the players who finished with averages around that point averaged 55+ when they were at Pieteresen's curent point in their careers, age catches up with us all and eventually his reflexes and footwork will slow a touch and the faults in his technique will be exposed a bit more, and judging by his rather gung ho attitude to batting I think he'll find this especially tough to deal with. Look at Ponting, he's still a fantastic player but his stats are considerably below his career mark since 07ish. Tendulkar is basically the only one who's really lasted (Lara did too to an extent) past 34ish in the modern era, and that's down to his perfect technique and willingness to adapt. Even the great Viv faded considerably by the end and he's not an entirely different player. Hmmm highest ever England run scorer, he'll need 4200+ runs over the next 6 years which is tough but doable, I reckon he'll get the most hundreds by a distance but fall just short of Gooch (injuries will throw a spanner in the works), unless he pushes himself past 35 and plays for the record.
Batsmen would generally hope to be hitting their peak at 29-30-31-32, and far more of them than not do so. It's far from unrealistic to hope for Pietersen's average to rise like yeast in the next few years - whether it happens we wait to see of course, but it's a perfectly acceptable expectation.

As for Viv Richards, he was nearly 37 by the time he begun to fade in 1989 - a long way off for Pietersen yet.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Whenever I see this thread title, I expect the first post to be "bowled, playing across a full one".

OT, wouldn't think there's any reason, injury aside, that Pietersen wouldn't peak at roughly the same age as everyone else - late 20s to early 30s.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's no particular reason to expect otherwise, and that's why I'm relatively hopeful about his prospects in the next few years. However, occasionally players peak either earlier or later than the norm - Sachin Tendulkar's peak, for example, came at 23-24. Graham Gooch's came at 36-40.

inbox24

International Debutant
Think this might be a blessing in disguise for England. Bell to come in and make a few solid contributions and maybe even the odd century.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Well the thing is with Bell is that he could be okish, especially against this struggling aussie attack when things are going well, but if he come's in at 40/2 or 70/3 I'm not so sure. Basically I think it just makes the side more prone to collapses. Personally I think Moore or Carberry were more worthy of a place.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Bell really is underrated. Test average of 41 and only a year ago that he got 190 against South Africa. Sure, he's not the best player ever, and he's didn't have a good 2008, but he's not that bad.

jondavluc

State Regular
Bell really is underrated. Test average of 41 and only a year ago that he got 190 against South Africa. Sure, he's not the best player ever, and he's didn't have a good 2008, but he's not that bad.
Awta

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bell has only really ever scored runs when the going is easy. He isn't a terrible batsman, for certain, but he's good only at ramming home the advantage, and usually on flattish decks, and he's decent at hinting at wresting the advantage while failing to do so completely. But he has never once by himself made a big, really notable difference to a Test. For someone who's played 50-odd games, that's poor.