• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

KP Out

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
:notworthy or not, they've played them a roughly equal amount. And clearly, while it's right to point-out that Pietersen has benefited from West Indies to a far greater degree, in doing that you must also acknowledge that Pietersen's runs against Australia in 2006/07 were worth far, far more than Ponting's against England.
Oh, I don't know about that... as far as affecting the result of a series, and the pressure of the situation, I'd give Ponting serious kudos for his massive century as Brisbane, however the bowling. In terms of the stats above, I'd taken your 'not watched since Dec 06' as starting the stats from Jan 07, so that series has little impact.

It's all perception, of course, but when I think Ponting I think this and this and when I think KP I think this and this... unfair, perhaps, but that's what I remember recently.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Says everything about the classic England-fan's perception of Pietersen that Mr Corrin so eloquently summed-up in his piece a little while back that, IMO.

Grass is always greener.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Says everything about the classic England-fan's perception of Pietersen that Mr Corrin so eloquently summed-up in his piece a little while back that, IMO.

Grass is always greener.
Well... I don't know about that, it's not as if I'd have any other top player ahead of KP. There's always that thing with Ponting that he's been lucky to play for Australia, because that's meant he can contribute to really important victories more often than other teams... and perhaps that makes him seem better than he is. And there's also something about the way KP is that doesn't sit right with me sometimes, but I can't really put my finger on it.

But still... grass is greener or not... I'd want Ponting in my team over KP right now, stats be damned!

(But if you want to support it with stats, perhaps this is the best way.)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And there's also something about the way KP is that doesn't sit right with me sometimes, but I can't really put my finger on it.
That's it, really. I reckon about 90% of England supporters feel the same. KP is never, I don't think, going to be revered in England the way a Border or Chappell is in Australia.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
That's it, really. I reckon about 90% of England supporters feel the same. KP is never, I don't think, going to be revered in England the way a Border or Chappell is in Australia.
Nope, definitely not. But I don't revere any players really at the moment... which is a shame. I would quite like to find a new favourite :)

Edit: Oh and... I don't revere Ponting either. Just had to make sure that was clear!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Opposition - Pietersen - Ponting

India - 47.33 - 47.02

New Zealand - 44.50 - 64.85

Pakistan - 42.15 - 81.61

South Africa - 60.14 - 56.38

Sri Lanka - 48.60 - 50.05

West Indies - 57.56 - 62.77​
Tbf, Piertersen's tests vs SA are all played at home, whether in England or SA :p

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, easily - Ponting's been nothing more than a good Test batsman the last 2-and-a-half years. Makes sense, after all - most batsmen pass their peak at 33 or so. He's still good, obviously, but Pietersen is clearly better at the current time.
Richard, surely the fact that pretty much everyone has disagreed with you would indicate that perhaps he's not clearly the better batsman?

tooextracool

International Coach
KP is a fine player and has played many match winning knocks for England, perhaps more so than most other players around. However, my main gripe against Pietersen is that he is yet to hit the sort of purple patch which most great players tend to hit at some point during their careers. For me, it seems like every other series he is out of form or playing himself back into form which is a little bit frustrating as a supporter. The next time KP plays a test match, he is going to be somewhere close to 30 years old, past the sort of age when most players tend to hit their prime and for me his career may just go on to be unfulfilled because of that.

Most players averages tend to improve over their careers because they get better over time. KP's career average has remained more or less the same since early on in his career. The question one has to ask, and this goes back to the criticism that is sometimes levelled against him, is whether KP really is a much better player today than he was when he made his debut 4 years ago?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Richard, surely the fact that pretty much everyone has disagreed with you would indicate that perhaps he's not clearly the better batsman?
He should be a better batsman that Ponting ever was but his "it's the way I play the game attitude" means it's not going to happen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I clearly mean he's clearly the best batsman around currently IMO. As I say, it's far from outrageous to suggest Ponting still has it over him (though not IMO terribly logical), but it is ridiculous to suggest Ponting is clearly better.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
KP is a fine player and has played many match winning knocks for England, perhaps more so than most other players around. However, my main gripe against Pietersen is that he is yet to hit the sort of purple patch which most great players tend to hit at some point during their careers. For me, it seems like every other series he is out of form or playing himself back into form which is a little bit frustrating as a supporter. The next time KP plays a test match, he is going to be somewhere close to 30 years old, past the sort of age when most players tend to hit their prime and for me his career may just go on to be unfulfilled because of that.

Most players averages tend to improve over their careers because they get better over time. KP's career average has remained more or less the same since early on in his career. The question one has to ask, and this goes back to the criticism that is sometimes levelled against him, is whether KP really is a much better player today than he was when he made his debut 4 years ago?
Disagree v strongly with this. If Pietersen walks out in front of a bus tomorrow he'll still be the first Englishman (yeah, yeah, I know...) to average 50+ over his career since dear old Kenny Barrington.

I'm of the opinion he'll end up as the highest English test run maker of all-time and will end with an average in excess of 50. Can't call that unfulfilled, surely?

pasag

RTDAS
Disagree v strongly with this. If Pietersen walks out in front of a bus tomorrow he'll still be the first Englishman (yeah, yeah, I know...) to average 50+ over his career since dear old Kenny Barrington.
Would get a rude shock when he checks statsguru from the Pearly Gates Internet Cafe :p