• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

KP Out

pup11

International Coach
No doubt that England are gonna miss KP, but I think given the seriousness of his injury he was never gonna last the whole series, Bell is no doubt a far inferior batsman than KP, but I won't just write him off as a joke batsman.

Yes, he had an awful time before being dropped from the English side last time around, but he is still a pretty decent batsman with a pretty solid technique, he would be really keen to revive his test career, and that determination might bring the best out of him, and he might contribute decently.

Though the other way to look at it is, he might get too nervous and uptight (like he has been before) and might just end up proving to be a walking wicket for us, or atleast that's what I'm hoping for.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pietersen>Ponting????? :crazy:
Yeah, easily - Ponting's been nothing more than a good Test batsman the last 2-and-a-half years. Makes sense, after all - most batsmen pass their peak at 33 or so. He's still good, obviously, but Pietersen is clearly better at the current time.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, even on current form, if asked, I'd take Ponting on a winner takes all match. He's simply a class above.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In one match, I'd be 50:50 on them; on a series or a year, I'd have Pietersen without a backward glance.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As a rule, the two tend to be compartmentalised. Doing one means you have a very strong chance of doing the other.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's no slur on KP to have to demur to Ponting, Punter's in the top half-dozen ever Oz batsmen. Only really Bradman is certainly above him, although cases could be made for G Chappell & (perhaps) Trumper too.

Pietersen's streets ahead of Hussey just now tho, there's not even a case to make for the latter on current form. When a bloke is in semi-serious danger of being dropped it's a nonsense to look at his whole career for a form guide.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oops I thought the argument was Pietersen vs Hussey. KP vs. Ponting isn't even close.
Of course it is. Considering Ponting the better currently isn't completely devoid of merit, but suggesting he's streets ahead is plain wrong. Anyone making such a suggestion frankly suggests they've not been watching cricket since December 2006.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Of course it is. Considering Ponting the better currently isn't completely devoid of merit, but suggesting he's streets ahead is plain wrong. Anyone making such a suggestion frankly suggests they've not been watching cricket since December 2006.
If I could chose one, I'd definitely have Ponting.

Statistically, KP is averaging higher, but he does have the advantage of having played 34% of his matches against West Indies in that time, whereas Ponting only 8%... and that does have some effect on the stats.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So let's hear their averages against South Africa, New Zealand, India and Sri Lanka then?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think their respective innings in the first test are the reason I'd choose Punter first still. He's far less likely to jizz it away once set.

EDIT: Incidentally, it said in today's Guardian of KP's likely replacement that he's played 10 tests versus Oz and has recorded 11 single figure scores. Not a stat to warm English ****les. :mellow:

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So let's hear their averages against South Africa, New Zealand, India and Sri Lanka then?
Opposition - Pietersen - Ponting

India - 47.33 - 47.02

New Zealand - 44.50 - 64.85

Pakistan - 42.15 - 81.61

South Africa - 60.14 - 56.38

Sri Lanka - 48.60 - 50.05

West Indies - 57.56 - 62.77​

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:notworthy or not, they've played them a roughly equal amount. And clearly, while it's right to point-out that Pietersen has benefited from West Indies to a far greater degree, in doing that you must also acknowledge that Pietersen's runs against Australia in 2006/07 were worth far, far more than Ponting's against England.