• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

KP Out

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think it's anything to fear either, but it is most certainly capable of taking 20 English wickets in a match- whoever they play. Some of the recent comments on it from the English have been laughable- almost as laughable as the comments the Australians were making on the English attack after Cardiff.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
The first 19 wickets no longer count I see :p.

In truth, Aussie did fantastically well to get the game to that stage given conditions. Check out how England's bowling fared in that match.
Also that we contributed to our downfall quite a bit. And anyway, Cardiff was an abberation, not conditions we're going to see again (hopefully), and certainly not conditions that favour us.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think it's anything to fear either, but it is most certainly capable of taking 20 English wickets in a match- whoever they play. Some of the recent comments on it from the English have been laughable- almost as laughable as the comments the Australians were making on the English attack after Cardiff.
I think Mitchell Johnson's performances have a lot to do with it. He's the only bowler most people would have heard of before the series, and he was talked up so much by the press it's not hard to see why people who haven't seen this Aussie team before think the attack is rubbish if he's supposed to be a world-beater.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nobody thinks he's mentally strong, I just think his bigger problem is not being very good. There's the occasional shot like that, but usually he just nicks to the keeper, plays on, gets caught at slip. I.e. makes a mistake to a ball in a decent area, usually by playing the wrong line. Because his weaknesses don't include being a slow starter, he's just as likely to get out on 40 as he is on 0, and that's why you get so many in-and-out innings. But i don't think mental issues are his problem.
It's rather a fallacy he's not a slow starter, at least against decent attacks. In his 20 innings versus yer crims he's registered 11 single digit scores. There's also the small matter of one fifty in 12 (IIRC) knocks since his "breakthrough" 199. &, obv, choking one shy of a double ton has its own tale to tell anyway, as do the 7 & 0 scored his his recall was rubber stamped.

Soft ****, IMHO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Also that we contributed to our downfall quite a bit. And anyway, Cardiff was an abberation, not conditions we're going to see again (hopefully), and certainly not conditions that favour us.
SWALEC should've favoured England TBH, and certainly should've done if it was a little bit quicker.

Turning decks should put England streets ahead of Australia. Sadly, Swann (surprisingly) and MSP (not so surprisingly) bowled terribly.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
SWALEC should've favoured England TBH, and certainly should've done if it was a little bit quicker.

Turning decks should put England streets ahead of Australia. Sadly, Swann (surprisingly) and MSP (not so surprisingly) bowled terribly.
Yeah, was talking about the slowness tbh. After our experiences with slow decks in the winter.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not saying it's terrible or anything, but Hilfenhaus - Siddle - horribly-out-of-form Johnson - Hauritz is hardly McGrath - Clark - Lee - Warne, is it?

tooextracool

International Coach
The first 19 wickets no longer count I see :p.

In truth, Aussie did fantastically well to get the game to that stage given conditions. Check out how England's bowling fared in that match.
With the exception of Hilfenhaus, its hard to see how the Australian bowlers deserved to have taken 19 wickets in that test. Their 2nd inning performance was a step up, but in the first innings they were collectively very poor as they have been all series. England merely obliged by batting poorly, no one going on to convert their starts into 100s for example.

tooextracool

International Coach
I'm not saying it's terrible or anything, but Hilfenhaus - Siddle - horribly-out-of-form Johnson - Hauritz is hardly McGrath - Clark - Lee - Warne, is it?
It doesn't need to be to take 20 wickets, and it almost certainly doesn't need to be to take 20 English wickets.

Although saying that, if Siddle, Johnson and Hauritz continue to play like they have been, its hard to see them bowling England out very often if they bat with a reasonable amount of competence. Clark on the other hand is another story.

tooextracool

International Coach
In his 20 innings versus yer crims he's registered 11 single digit scores.
Yes, although the majority of those single digit scores came when he was still finding his feet in international cricket and almost certainly wasn't ready to be playing test match cricket. In his next effort, against McGrath, Warne, Clark and Lee (an improved bowling attack to the 1 bowler show we saw in 2005), he got 4 50s and 2 20s failing to convert any of them into big scores and thereby exhibited what is now a hallmark of his career. Certainly wasn't, for lack of a better word, 'sherminated' the last time he played the Aussies.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With the exception of Hilfenhaus, its hard to see how the Australian bowlers deserved to have taken 19 wickets in that test. Their 2nd inning performance was a step up, but in the first innings they were collectively very poor as they have been all series. England merely obliged by batting poorly, no one going on to convert their starts into 100s for example.
You could say the same about England at Lord's bar Flintoff. Australia gifted them five 1st innings wickets.

Truth is netiher attack is world-beating quality unless the conditions favour them.

tooextracool

International Coach
You could say the same about England at Lord's bar Flintoff. Australia gifted them five 1st innings wickets.

Truth is netiher attack is world-beating quality unless the conditions favour them.
Not really. Swann was excellent when he was allowed to bowl and Anderson was impressive, albeit not brilliant, in both innings. Just because Australia batted poorly, it doesnt mean that England didn't bowl well.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
It gets worse for KP - Sky now reporting that he's in hospital on a drip having ruptured his achilles during recovery after surgery. Details are still sketchy but initial reports are that the six-week recovery period could now be months.