View Poll Results: What should be done with Mitchell Johnson?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drop him

10 22.22%
  • Persist with him

26 57.78%
  • Force him to twitter with Bumble

9 20.00%
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What should we do with Mitchell Johnson?

What should we do with Mitchell Johnson?

Clearly, Mitch is out of form. Whether it's because his Jerry Springer'esque mother crawled up from a storm drain and opened her large mouth, or whether it's because of other reasons, the fact remains that Mitch is out of form (with the ball) and seems to lack confidence. Dropping him may compound the problem, but persisting with him may cost us the Ashes. There needs to be some third option...

So, what do we do?

Lets change things around, and get some "net batsmen" instead of net bowlers. Few local cricketers who'd like to get filled in, get Mitchy up and roaring again. Then chuck him in for the Tour game, all fired up, and see how he goes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Lets change things around, and get some "net batsmen" instead of net bowlers. Few local cricketers who'd like to get filled in, get Mitchy up and roaring again. Then chuck him in for the Tour game, all fired up, and see how he goes.
    Am not entirely in agreement with your idea of net batsmen. You obviously can't expect teenaged inexperienced batsmen getting pounded by the out and out efforts of a world test class bowler. Chances of injuries are way higher as compared to an ordinary match situation. Especially when the bowler is trying to work himself into some form.

...was a gag.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    sounds good to me.

If he doesn't find some form in the tour game, I'd leave him out for Brett Lee (if fit) for the next game. I'm trying not to use the word "drop". Midge is a quality bowler, and I have no doubts that in time he will rediscover some form and destroy a few batting lineups. But at the minute, he's not bowling well, and if he's not going to take any wickets he shouldn't play- especially with bowlers of the quality of Brett Lee and/or Stuart Clark waiting in the wings. Let him sit this one out, do some work on his action in the nets over the next few weeks, and with the pressure off hopefully he'll rediscover some form.

Alternatively, if his problems have vanished in the tour game, he should play at Edgbaston.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Lee's out for the 3rd test.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Lee's out for the 3rd test.
    Yeah? Balls. Well, keep an eye on Stuart Clark then. But I'd be a LOT less keen on that unless Johnson's bowling absolutely horrendously.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Odd that a poster apparently so new has come accross the uniquely-CW feature of irrelevant third poll options.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I'd expect Clark to be in for Siddle anyway, save an absolute mare at Northants.

I'd still be inclined to give him another test because, unlike Gillespie who was in a very similar situation four years back, age isn't likely to be a factor. I'm not sure it's mental either, blokes who're gone upstairs don't generally score 50s in pressure situations, so I'm inclined to think it must be a technical issue. Time for Cooley to earn his corn.

If he's similarly dire at Birmingham tho I'd have to advocate the chop, tbh.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I'd still be inclined to give him another test because, unlike Gillespie who was in a very similar situation four years back, age isn't likely to be a factor.
    Why does it matter whether the factors are age or an inability to lace the bowling boots? Poor bowling is poor bowling. If you think it's likely to stop very soon, you persist; if you don't, you ease out of the firing-line, and only consider a return once things have changed.

In any case, Gillespie was hardly ancient in 2005 - 30, even with a body that'd had all his injuries, is about when you expect a cricketer to be in his prime.

Would the fact that Johnson up until this Tour has never bowled with a Duke ball (this is just a wild guess, but maybe he has used them in up in North Queensland or at the Acadamy) at FC and Test level have any bearing?

Then again I'm not a fast bowling expert.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Odd that a poster apparently so new has come accross the uniquely-CW feature of irrelevant third poll options.
    Wouldn't say it was unique to CW...
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    For a guy in poor form he is still getting quite a lot of wickets.
    Out of the fellow pacers only Hilfy has more out of both teams:

Hilfenhaus 9 @ 31.77
    Johnson 8 @ 41.37
    Flintoff 7 @ 35.28
    Siddle 7 @ 44.57
    Anderson 6 @ 41.83
    Broad 4 @ 64
    Onions 3 @ 30.33

If out of form he can still take wickets at a reasonable rate then he most certainly should be retained for when he hits his stride.

I also think his form is coming too much into question, he has definitely bowled better but even on Johnson's best days with the ball he can bowl some tripe. The guy bowls some of the best wicket taking balls in cricket and he bowls some tripe. He hasn't performed any worse than almost any other bowler on either team, he has only bowled worse than we know he can.

Also @ Broad
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    He's bowled some good nuts amidst the dross, no doubt. His lines have just been awful tho. Siddle, who's far from flattered by his figures IMHO, has worse returns but has bowled far better spells and has earned his wickets from pressure. Johnson's have seemed more like bolts from the blue.

Johnson has a lot more credit in the bank, however (better bat too, if that matters), so I'd stick with him for at least another test.

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Wouldn't say it was unique to CW...
    Well you might well know more about it than me, but every genuinely and obviously new poster who's posted a poll early on has omitted the irrelevant option... and often quite rightly got the "IRRELEVANT OPTIONS FFS!!!!!!!!!!!" treatment.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information