Cricket Betting Site Betway

View Poll Results: What should be done with Mitchell Johnson?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drop him

10 22.22%
  • Persist with him

26 57.78%
  • Force him to twitter with Bumble

9 20.00%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What should we do with Mitchell Johnson?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Refresh my memory?

At the time the commentators were saying that the last time two batsmen retired hurt in one innings was in the thirties or something.
    Upset at the badge of world's best opener being conferred on Smith.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    He broke Smith's hand because of uneven pitches and the fact that Smith was most unfortunate that a blow hit in exactly the wrong place. Batsmen only ever get hit on the hand on uneven decks and most hits on the hand merely result in a bit of pain and some bruising, not a break.

You can't bowl to break a batsman's hand.
    Haha, nah. Seriously. If you're quick (135Km/h+) you've got more control over where you hit a batsman with the intent of injuring him than clean bowling him.

I'll grant you the Perth ball was a nasty one to get but the other break was just Midge hitting the seam (for once).

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
    Upset at the badge of world's best opener being conferred on Smith.
    But Smith is the world's best opener at present, averages notwithstanding.

Opening the batting in India is a damn sight easier than opening the batting in South Africa.

EDIT: According to the ICC rankings Gambhir is ranked 1, Smith 9 and Sehwag 19. Of those three I rate Smith the highest, but Gambhir could be said to be the most in form.
    Last edited by stephen; 22-07-2009 at 09:43 PM.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Put him in the scuppers with a head tie on him.
    Earl-eye in the morning.

Thought of the same thing when I saw the title.
    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

"There's more chance of SoC making a good post than Smith averaging 99.95." - Furball

"**** you're such a **** poster." - Furball

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    But to do what Johnson did to Smith you have to be an accurate, fast and dangerous bowler
    ... and have an uneven pitch, and have a hell of a lot conspire against the batsman. The fact that all of this happened proves absolutely nothing about Johnson's ability.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Haha, nah. Seriously. If you're quick (135Km/h+) you've got more control over where you hit a batsman with the intent of injuring him than clean bowling him.

I'll grant you the Perth ball was a nasty one to get but the other break was just Midge hitting the seam (for once).
    It takes either a) gross error on the batsman's part (ie, playing consistently too low with the hands) or b) one hell of a lot of luck with uneven decks.

If the pitch is even and the batsman plays sensibly, there's no way a bowler, however quick or accurate, can cause injury. Short of bowling Beamers, which is obviously unacceptable.

Banned
    But Smith is the world's best opener at present, averages notwithstanding.

Opening the batting in India is a damn sight easier than opening the batting in South Africa.

EDIT: According to the ICC rankings Gambhir is ranked 1, Smith 9 and Sehwag 19. Of those three I rate Smith the highest, but Gambhir could be said to be the most in form.
    Sehwag averages the same in India as he averages outside India. Gambhir has shown he is capable by showing in NZ where traditionally Indian batsmen have faltered.

Sehwag averages the same in India as he averages outside India. Gambhir has shown he is capable by showing in NZ where traditionally Indian batsmen have faltered[/B].
    But on wickets which were road like. Those wickets were not your typical imagery of a NZ slow green seamer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    But on wickets which were road like. Those wickets were not your typical imagery of a NZ slow green seamer.
    Aha. The curse of the subcontinental batsmen. If they do, they are labelled flat track bullies, if they don't then they are home bullies.

By that logic, Micheal Clarke or Hussey are not even near world class, as they have prospered mightily only on flat tracks in their backyards.

A test is a test in my opinion. Considering it was his first major away tour from the subcontinent, Gambhir really prospered.

Personally not really surprised that Gambhir is so highly ranked. What a brilliant find he has been for India. Terrific player.

Aha. The curse of the subcontinental batsmen. If they do, they are labelled flat track bullies, if they don't then they are home bullies.

By that logic, Micheal Clarke or Hussey are not even near world class, as they have prospered mightily only on flat tracks in their backyards.

A test is a test in my opinion. Considering it was his first major away tour from the subcontinent, Gambhir really prospered.
    You can't just say "Gambhir proved himself in New Zealand where traditionally Indian batsmen have faltered" when he didn't face the main reason why Indian batsmen have faltered there.

The biggest test for a subcontinental batsman, historically, has always been the green seamer (traditionally found in England, New Zealand and South Africa - obviously much less so at the current time). Gambhir has done all that could be asked of him of late, but he's yet to face that particular test.

Clarke has indeed had a fair few comments aimed his way that most of his success since coming back in 2006/07 has been at home. Hussey too has prospered mainly on flat decks.
    Last edited by Richard; 23-07-2009 at 12:40 PM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Sehwag averages the same in India as he averages outside India. Gambhir has shown he is capable by showing in NZ where traditionally Indian batsmen have faltered.
    Bounce FTW.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Bounce and seam FTW TBH.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Gambhir does look to me like he can handle it, from what I've seen of him in ODIs. But he certainly hasn't yet proven that he can.

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Aye, would of been itstl to see him bat v Australia in Aus, too bad Jaffer was the other opener then.
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information