Cricket Betting Site Betway

View Poll Results: What should be done with Mitchell Johnson?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drop him

10 22.22%
  • Persist with him

26 57.78%
  • Force him to twitter with Bumble

9 20.00%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What should we do with Mitchell Johnson?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    His technique is a big issue, and slingers in general are always likely to have days where they are all over shop because it just takes one thing to go astray and its almost impossible to land the ball on the square.

However, many people have reported that the shine or lacquer on the ball is more pronounced in the Dukes than the Kooks and this as a result has the effect of making the Duke balls feel smaller in the hand. Not sure if this is an issue with Johnson, although considering he didn't have such issues in India bowling with the SG ball which is supposed to be similar would suggest maybe not.
    He was pretty poor in the India series.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
    No he wasn't. He was the only AUS pacer that seemed likely to take wickets & he ran in tirelessly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    No he wasn't. He was the only AUS pacer that seemed likely to take wickets & he ran in tirelessly.
    Nope. It was Shane Watson who did all the running in. Mitchell Johnson was mediocre at best and terrible most of the time, as reflected in his record.

For the record, out of the 13 wickets he took in that series @ 40, including 3 lbw decisions which were clearly not out. And the rest included 3 catches which could be deemed lucky as batsmen were caught behind chasing wide ones, or down the leg side.
    Last edited by Pigeon; 21-07-2009 at 11:00 AM.

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I think it's simply because Johnson has more credit in the bank than Siddle. Johnson was viewed as the banker for Oz before the series. Granted Siddle has outbowled him, regardless of their returns, but if a bowling change is going to be made it'll surely be one of the two of them and, for consistency's sake if nothing else, it'll probably be the junior partner of the two.

I'd personally play both & Clark in the Northants game regardless, if Siddle outstrips Johnson again it's possible the latter might yet be spared tho.
    Yeah that is what I would use to decide who to pick between the 2 of them. But if I were Australia, I wouldn't be against the idea of dropping him. He has money in the bank, but one needs to focus on whats best for the team in this series, rather than what's best for him.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

He was, but he wasn't spraying it around in the manner that he has been so far this series. He struggled in the India series, because he was not that good of a bowler ITFP.

Nope. It was Shane Watson who did all the running in. Mitchell Johnson was mediocre at best and terrible most of the time, as reflected in his record.

For the record, out of the 13 wickets he took in that series @ 40, including 3 lbw decisions which were clearly not out. And the rest included 3 catches which could be deemed lucky as batsmen were caught behind chasing wide ones, or down the leg side.
    I think you are judging Johnson's performance in IND from the wrong standard. ITFB going into that series he was not hyped as "world beater" like in this current Ashes series after his heroics in SA. He was coming off woeful efforts vs WI a few months earlier on some flat pitches, not much was expected of him going into that series. He selection was even questioned, given he didn't posses any prerequiste skills that would suggest he would be a wicket-taking threat during that series.

As the series began with Lee injured & the AUS attack not getting the ball reverse swing. Johnson although he wasn't superb by any means, was AUS most threatening bowler. He ran in tirelessly & bowled better than his average suggested without a doubt.

Banned
    I think you are judging Johnson's performance in IND from the wrong standard. ITFB going into that series he was not hyped as "world beater" like in this current Ashes series after his heroics in SA. He was coming off woeful efforts vs WI a few months earlier on some flat pitches, not much was expected of him going into that series. He selection was even questioned, given he didn't posses any prerequiste skills that would suggest he would be a wicket-taking threat during that series.

As the series began with Lee injured & the AUS attack not getting the ball reverse swing. Johnson although he wasn't superb by any means, was AUS most threatening bowler. He ran in tirelessly & bowled better than his average suggested without a doubt.
    Quite simple. He did not. There are umpteen number of proofs suggesting my point. None, am afraid, yours.

He ran in tirelessly & bowled better than his average suggested without a doubt.
    All the aussie bowlers that series varied between poor and dreadful, which was expected.
    You can pick a spot for Johnson in between those categories but it doesn't change the fact that he wasn't very good.

Cricket Champion!
    Agree with Aussie here. Whilst all the bowlers were somewhat woeful, Johnson's figures do him a disservice because he clearly was threatening at times and did bowl long spells of high-octane bowling when we were getting nothing out of the pitch.
    ★★★★★

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Agree with Aussie here. Whilst all the bowlers were somewhat woeful, Johnson's figures do him a disservice because he clearly was threatening at times and did bowl long spells of high-octane bowling when we were getting nothing out of the pitch.
    His figures ought to be even terrible considering 25% of his wickets came of dubious decisions.

Cricket Champion!
    His figures ought to be even terrible considering 25% of his wickets came of dubious decisions.
    A bowler could get a dubious decision yet go a whole innings not getting reward for outstanding bowling - it is neither here nor there.

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    But he also bowled those good balls. You know the ones that took the wickets. If we exclude those then yes I'm sure he has been unforgivably bad. Yet we include them and he has made good breakthroughs.
    He was going around 6 an over in England's first innings at Lord's. There's a case to be made that that was huge in the end result, certainly more so than any of his wickets were.

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

What's that? An Aussie having a bad game? Cue Roebuck digging the boot in.

Misfiring Johnson not worthy of leading tourists' attack - Cricket - Sport
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    I think Johnson will come good, but i get the feeling he is one of those guys who needs lots of bowling. The more he bowls the better he seems to get. After he has a break he tends to not bowl as well.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Quote Originally Posted by age_master View Post
    I think Johnson will come good, but i get the feeling he is one of those guys who needs lots of bowling. The more he bowls the better he seems to get. After he has a break he tends to not bowl as well.
    Agreed. I'd also like to keep him in the team for the psychological factor of having him there. England may dismiss him now, but if he hits his stride they will be crapping their boots. You don't break the hand of the best opening batsman in world cricket twice without being at least somewhat dangerous.

Heck, it was only three months ago that he nearly forced two batsmen "retired hurt" in the same innings on a good deck, which hasn't ever been done since helmets were invented.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information