Cricket Player Manager
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Flintoff is Hercules.. a God

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oitoitoi View Post
    Well to be honest it probably would, arrogance at any level really pisses me off, it's why I worry for the next generation of Indian players who are emerging in the limited overs set up with yuvraj and harbhajan as their role models.
    Ganguly came accross to many as arrogant, but he had to present himself as an exceptionally strong minded individual to his players, opposition and the indian public given the circumstances of his appointment and his vision for indian cricket. I wouldn't totally mind if Sreesanth walked out in front of a bus tomorrow, the guy's a complete tool, hopefully this county stint might improve his personality. I think Harbhajan has improved but can still be a bit of a ****, but given what he does off the field I tend to give him a bit of leeway.

The thing that annoys me so much about flintoff I suppose is that there seems to be so much hype with so few results, and he seems to buy into his own hype as well, I mean just look at the IPL, $1.5m down the tube from Chennai, I was amazed he demanded such a price.
    Yeah, WAC, should have said to them, "pay me less than you're prepared to you bastards."

Quote Originally Posted by oitoitoitoitoitoit
    I look at the 05 ashes as the jumping off point for the flintoff most people now perceive, but personally I've always seen Hoggard and Jones as being far more important to that victory than flintoff, strauss too, it's just that flintoff's off field shenanigans and working class hero label make him much more marketable to the media men.
    Nothing to do with the fact the he averaged 40 with the bat and 27 with the ball, no. I suppose the aussie media that were printing "SOMEBODY STOP HIM" long before the series was won were talking about his forthcoming trip to the bar? Flintoff took more wickets than Jones and Hoggard (and Flintoff was one ahead of Jones after 4 Tests, FTR). He scored more runs than Strauss, and every Australian batsman (the only English batsmen to outscore him were Tresco and Pietersen).

Quote Originally Posted by oitoitoi
    He must at some point have sat down and thought of this celebration, I mean what kind of person chooses a celebration like that? Admittedly it's a hell of a lot better than Ishant Sharma's increasingly foul mouthed send offs.
    Yeah, word on the street was that he spent three hours each evening in the lead-up to the Test practicising his celebrations. There is going to be a reality TV series before the 4th Test where we, the viewers, vote for Flintoff's wicket celebrations to be used in that match. He took his 5fer, and he put his arms in the air, OMG!

Quote Originally Posted by oitoitoi
    There are also all these plaudits for his persona when frankly he's done some pretty damn selfish things over the years. Also I just can't get away from the suspicion that he's from the school of drunken football hooligans, maybe I'm too conservative, I still see cricket as a gentleman's game, let's have more Dravids and Knotts!

p.s. you've neer seen flintoff giving out verbals???
    What are these selfish things you're talking about?

SOrry for the broken down quote everyone, I hate when they happen, felt obliged here though
    Last edited by GIMH; 28-07-2009 at 07:37 AM.
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

This "drunken football hooligan" stuff is winding me up a bit. Freddie may get plastered, but has there ever been any suggestion of violence of any kind?

It's really getting annoying now, oitoitoitoioitoitoi. Likewise with the chav thing. **** me I know there are twatty scum in this society, but I fail to see why you keep on drawing parallels between freddie and them. You probably think Winston Churchill was a football hooligan because he drank a bit

Anyway, I think I've been trolled here, but I am only human unlike the paragons of virtue that others obviously are around here.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Nothing to do with the fact the he averaged 40 with the ball and 27 with the bat, no.
    Other way around TBH. And it was something like 47 with bat and 21 with ball in the last four Tests - which were the ones England dominated.
    SOrry for the broken down quote everyone, I hate when they happen, felt obliged here though
    Neccessary and makes things much easier plenty of the time, IMO. But I guess it's a discussion for somewhere other than Cricket Chat.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Cheers, edited

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Jones who took a couple of brilliant five-fors in the first-innings' of the Third and Fourth Tests, bowled decently (no more than that) in the Second and did sod-all else?

As opposed to Flintoff who throughout the last four Tests (the ones England dominated) batted beyond anything anyone could reasonably have expected of him and bowled about as well as you could really hope someone would bowl? Flintoff was in fact England's best batsman of said four Tests; to suggest he wasn't their best bowler would take being Away With The Faeries.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Nothing to do with the fact the he averaged 40 with the bat and 27 with the ball, no. I suppose the aussie media that were printing "SOMEBODY STOP HIM" long before the series was won were talking about his forthcoming trip to the bar? Flintoff took more wickets than Jones and Hoggard (and Flintoff was one ahead of Jones after 4 Tests, FTR).
    Flintoff took more wickets, but that has more to do with the fact that Vaughan, for whatever bloody reason, had very little faith in Jones even though he was the one with the best SR and average for the series. Flintoff was given more overs, ergo he took more wickets. It would take complete delusion for anyone to conclude that Flintoff bowled better than Jones in that series in almost all of the tests in which they both played in. At Lords, Flintoff was shockingly poor certainly outperformed by Jones. At Edgbaston, Flintoff was better than Jones (although the fact that Jones got 5 overs in the crucial 2nd inning might have something to do with that), and both at OT and Trent Bridge (especially) Jones was considerably superior to Flintoff. Anyone who honestly denies that, just wasn't watching.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    That might matter to fans in India, but in England they very much want their players to get pissed off when they're losing. There's nothing worse than seeing your team bent over royally and the players stand around smiling like they don't give a crap. If Flintoff's got a bit of aggro when things aren't going his way, that's just another reason for his fans to love him.
    getting angry doesn't mean behaving stupid...
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Flintoff doesn't behave "stupid" when things aren't going his way. Maybe he does things fans of opposing teams don't approve of. Nobody cares.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information