Page 1 of 248 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official Third Test at Edgbaston

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar

*Official Third Test at Edgbaston

A little early perhaps, but I have already noticed plenty of discussion regarding possible changes for this match, so it might be helpful to have this thread to discuss it in.

FWIW I Think England might have to make two enforced changes that are going to be massive. Rumours are that Flintoff and KP might be struggling so what would England do in that case? If we go in 1-0 up does that change the mentality and we go in with 4 bowlers? If that's the case who would be the extra batsman? (assuming Bell already takes KP's place?) We know Broad won't get dropped, regardless of how poorly he performs..will he move to seven with Swann at 8, Harmison come in? For me that's very shaky even without factoring KP being out.
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Wow @ Flintoff & Pietersen possibly being out. They ARE 2 massive losses.

For Australia, hopefully (if he's fit) Lee & Clark get back in. Who to drop, I'm not sure.

Anyway, does anyone know whether Hauritz will be fit for the next game?
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Hauritz has been pretty awesome, drop Hussey for Lee IMO. Thats how controversial I am.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    If Pietersen is out Shah should replace him. If Flintoff is out Bell should replace him. Under no circumstances should Bell replace anyone other than Flintoff, because Bell's only particularly good Test performances have come when standing-in for Flintoff. And while obviously some of that is coincidence, I don't think it is completely. Think it suits Bell's psyche.

Broad is not going to be dropped unless England somehow manage to lose the Lord's Test I don't think. Say Pietersen and Flintoff are both fit, the team is almost certain to be unchanged; say they're both out I imagine we'll go Strauss, Cook, Shah, Bopara, Collingwood, Bell, Prior, Swann, Br0ad, Anders0n, 0nions.

If we're 1-0 up seven batsmen four bowlers is the only strategy that makes sense.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

KP has to play. Even on one leg he is better than Bell or Shan, both of whom are too much of a liability.

Wicket at Edgbaston is apparently slow, which is good for England and once again nullifies the Aussie attack.

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    KP has to play. Even on one leg he is better than Bell or Shan, both of whom are too much of a liability.
    Ten men is never a preferable idea, especially in the field.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Key's in form... if KP's out we could have him at three and drop Bopara down a place.

International Regular
    I'm sitting on the fence at the moment, but Hilfenhaus, Hauritz and Siddle are certainty's for the third Test. A bowl off between Johnson, Lee and Clark is in order in the tour match.

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    Key's in form... if KP's out we could have him at three and drop Bopara down a place.
    I honestly wouldn't have a major truck with Key playing, but just don't see it happening.

I reckon Denly and Moore (both of whom are notably inferior batsmen to Key) are ahead as things currently stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Hauritz has been pretty awesome, drop Hussey for Lee IMO. Thats how controversial I am.
    I did say in the Watson in for Hussey thread that it would be worth the risk to drop Hussey for Watson, considering Watto is back to his bowling fitness, though if they still wanna persist with Hussey then dropping North can be an option too.

Though considering how Australia have struggled to bowl teams out twice, a five man bowling attack too could be considered for the Edgbaston test, which would mean Haddin bats at 6 and Johnson at 7, I believe Johnson can do as good a job as Flintoff with the bat, batting at 7.

Things from an Aussie perspective though aren't looking good, its not often that Australia have managed to comeback from behind in a series to win it, so Ponting and co. certainly have their cut out here, and they just can't afford a lame performance like the one they produced in the Lord's test.

If Hussey gets dropped for this Test, I suppose the most accurate reflection would be that it'd be a real shock, but not absolutely, completely, totally absurd.

There's still absolutely no way I'd make said decision though. Has far more going against it than going for it.

We should pick KP and massively abuse the substitute rule.
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If Hussey gets dropped for this Test, I suppose the most accurate reflection would be that it'd be a real shock, but not absolutely, completely, totally absurd.

There's still absolutely no way I'd make said decision though. Has far more going against it than going for it.
    Yeah, agree with this really.

No way would I be dropping Hussey as I simply have a lot of faith in him, but I don't really think he could consider himself particularly unlucky if it happened. His performances have been well below Test standard for an extended period now.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    If Flintoff is out I would like to see him replaced with a bowler, personally.
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Now that Haddin has performed so well I'm tipping Lee or Watson to come in for the unlucky M. North.

The reason being that the team needs an extra quick. Hope Watson bowls well in the warmup.

Page 1 of 248 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread Information