• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official Third Test at Edgbaston

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyway, the big test is for Australia's bowlers now. If the conditions are still there, Hilfenhaus, Siddle and Johnson have to deliver a decent performance at least. One bad session doesn't necessarily mean the game is over, look at Lords '05.
Haha, I just replied to one of your posts saying exactly this.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Agree with F00lins. England did bowl well, but there was some pretty poor batting involved.
Watson - swung out by excellent bowling first-up
Hussey - left one he should've played
Ponting - gloved a short one for about the first time in history
Clarke - swung out... twice
North - swung out
Johnson - swung out
Manou - absolutely magnificent ball that no-one was ever realistically going to play

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So it was unrealistic to expect the team to lose any less than 7 wickets? :laugh: get a grip
With bowling that good, I'd be disappointed if many less than 7 wickets fell. I realise some Australians expect their players to be too good for England's regardless, but I'm afraid this time England were simply too good for you. As our Irish friend said, deal with it.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shows you the sort of cascade a poor decision can set off, though. Clarke was looking settled with 15 mins to go before lunch, suddenly Aus have lost 4 real quick and are in trouble.

The ball really is moving a long, long way too.
Yeah, I'm surprised how much movement they're getting. Great ball from Anderson for the last wicket.

Actually, I shouldn't say I'm surprised...but I just haven't seen the ball swing around like this for a while. Anderson's seam position is pretty impressive.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Anyway, the big test is for Australia's bowlers now. If the conditions are still there, Hilfenhaus, Siddle and Johnson have to deliver a decent performance at least. One bad session doesn't necessarily mean the game is over, look at Lords '05.
Hot tip: Johnson and Siddle to be gunbarrell straight all day, Hilfenhaus to swing every ball exactly the same and be pedestrian, Watto to go at > 5 an over and do a hammy running in in his 7th over.

Stapel

International Regular
I've made this arguement before and will do so again:

Contrary to tons of articles, opinions and comments, Australia's problem area is the batting area, not the bowling area.
There seems to be a broad believe that Australia's problem is Johnson's defect radar. I won't argue he was bowling fine the 1st two tests, but when comparing all bowlers, one cannot say he is the problem (Johnson 8 @ 41, Siddle 7 @ 44, Flintoff now 7 @ 43).

So, for some odd reason, Johnson not living up to his SA-level, has clouded the really poor Aussie batting at Lord's. And today we have seen why Australia will hand over The Ashes to England: They bat like crap.

Yet, I am quite surprised by it. Before theses series started, I was thinking that the Aussie batting department was the only thing top-level to be seen this summer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Actually, I shouldn't say I'm surprised...but I just haven't seen the ball swing around like this for a while. Anderson's seam position is pretty impressive.
It has done a decent amount in England for the last three summers. Finally it seems England is back to being the swing-friendly place it should be almost all the time, after stopping swinging almost completely 2001-2006.

Top_Cat

North - swung out
Johnson - swung out
Manou - absolutely magnificent ball that no-one was ever realistically going to play
Largely agree, too nice to Norf, though. Anderson bowled a series of them moving away from him and, he finally nibbled at one. Agree re: Ponting too. Last time I remember that happening to him was against Nantie Hayward in Brisbane (I think).

Yeah, I'm surprised how much movement they're getting. Great ball from Anderson for the last wicket.
The Johnson ball, even though an average decision, was also a top ball.

Top_Cat

Hot tip: Johnson and Siddle to be gunbarrell straight all day, Hilfenhaus to swing every ball exactly the same and be pedestrian, Watto to go at > 5 an over and do a hammy running in in his 7th over.
*2nd.

Tipping Hilf to do damage, though. Only if Johnson manages to throttle back and do a job, though.

So it won't happen. haha

Last edited:

Burgey

North - swung out
Johnson - swung out
No mate, Watson wasn't swung out. The ball angled into him onto the stumps. Whoop de ****ing do!

Don't disagree too much with the others though, maybe aside from North. I'd expect someone who'd been in that long to deal with that kind of ball. Not a great shot imo.

But hey, if the ball doesn't go gun-barrel straight = 7 wickets must fall, then so be it.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
*2nd.

Tipping Hilf to do damage, though.
IMO Hilf is worse when there's a lot of swing around. When there's a hint he's harder to play because not every ball swings and it's a touch of surprise, when there's heaps he just bowls the same easily sighted delivery over and over.

And yeah, I was being optimistic re: Watto. Just love him so much...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No mate, Watson wasn't swung out. The ball angled into him onto the stumps. Whoop de ****ing do!

Don't disagree too much with the others though, maybe aside from North. I'd expect someone who'd been in that long to deal with that kind of ball. Not a great shot imo.

But hey, if the ball doesn't go gun-barrel straight = 7 wickets must fall, then so be it.
Seems real top-quality swing has been so rare of late that many people have forgotten just how realistically unplayable it is when it comes along.

As for Watson, decked back sharply on him for mine. And while North could have survived the ball that got him out, if you keep bowling like that at any batsman, you've a pretty good chance of dismissing them sooner or later.