• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official Third Test at Edgbaston

Woodster

International Captain
What a session!!Beyond my wildest dreams having Australia going in at lunch 8 wickets down! Thanks to some exceptional bowling from Anderson and Onions, who are two bowlers that can exploit most teams when the conditions are right. The swing is prominent, their areas have been excellent, and providing we can finish the Aussies off, which I expect with the swing around, we have an excellent opportunity to take real control of the Test.

It won't be easy if Australia find similar things happening and Hilfenhaus continues his good work in the series, but boy am I glad Stuart Clark is not their attack!

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd like to apologise for suggesting that Australia should have been able to get through that session without losing seven wickets. Clearly wasn't possible.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Before we go off the deep-end about the umpiring, let's not forget how many times the Aussies have been the beneficiary due to Koertzen over the years. Obviously incompetent is incompetent but there are many sides who'd not be too sympathetic right now.

Burgey

Australia haven't batted terribly, England were just too good for you. Deal.
Fair bit of both tbh.

If you're coming into bat in a test match at the start of a day, you don't ALWAYS get a few sighters, you know? Heaven forbid the bowler might revolutionise the game by putting the ball on the stumps. Each of Watson and Hussey were entitled to do better, which is not taking anything from the bowler.

Craig

World Traveller
Going to be very interesting to see England bat. I will back Hilfenhaus to do well and if the conditions stay the same, then you would have to think this is the place where Johnson can not only land it on the cut strip, but look dangerous as well. Same for Siddle. I bet McDonald would have done well on this wicket as well.

Uppercut

I'd like to apologise for suggesting that Australia should have been able to get through that session without losing seven wickets. Clearly wasn't possible.
They could have, they've been a bit unlucky and haven't been at their best. But it was definitely a good-bowling-induced collapse rather than one due to poor batting.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Australia haven't batted terribly, England were just too good for you. Deal.
Bit of both for mine. The middle part of the session wasn't too bad batting wise, but things could look a lot better if it wasn't for some pretty poor mistakes. Acknowledging errors from Australia isn't the same as saying England didn't bowl well or don't deserve the position they're in.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wasn't realistic, IMO. Obviously nothing is completely impossible in cricket, but expecting any batsmen, however good, to repel top-quality swing bowling like that is in my view unrealistic.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agree with F00lins. England did bowl well, but there was some pretty poor batting involved.

Koertzen is a shocker, been about 10 years since he's called an LBW correctly (including those he's given n.o.)

irfan

State Captain
AWTA. Terrific bowling from both Anderson and Onions but some poor decision making and shot selections contributed majorly to losing 7 wickets on a featherbed. Johnson betta pull out his whole bloody bowling arm and not just his finger for Aus to have any chance.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Onions and Anderson bowled very well, and some very dangerous spells. But 7 wickets...give me a ****ing break.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The series leading wicket-taker is now Anderson. 10 wickets @ 30 to go with his batting average of 38. :p

Not even Matthews could manage to criticise Jimmy after that spell.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, the big test is for Australia's bowlers now. If the conditions are still there, Hilfenhaus, Siddle and Johnson have to deliver a decent performance at least. One bad session doesn't necessarily mean the game is over, look at Lords '05.

Craig

World Traveller
Before we go off the deep-end about the umpiring, let's not forget how many times the Aussies have been the beneficiary due to Koertzen over the years. Obviously incompetent is incompetent but there are many sides who'd not be too sympathetic right now.
He has given out some shockers.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Bit of both for mine. The middle part of the session wasn't too bad batting wise, but things could look a lot better if it wasn't for some pretty poor mistakes. Acknowledging errors from Australia isn't the same as saying England didn't bowl well or don't deserve the position they're in.
Well said. It was a mix of very good bowling, very poor batting and very poor umpiring.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wasn't realistic, IMO. Obviously nothing is completely impossible in cricket, but expecting any batsmen, however good, to repel top-quality swing bowling like that is in my view unrealistic.
So it was unrealistic to expect the team to lose any less than 7 wickets? :laugh: get a grip

Uppercut

Well of course they played poorly, but the point is that bowling like that is almost impossible to play well.

They certainly have a fair shot at a creaky England batting lineup now though. If they match England's bowling performance today, they'll still get a first-innings lead.