Hussey
    Clarke
    North
    Haddin
    Johnson
    Hauritz
    Clark
    Hilfenhaus

Sorry Sids - don't hate me. I still you.

Players on notice for this test: Johnson, Hughes and Hussey. Rogers is in England playing FC unless I'm much mistaken, and the options for Hussey have been discussed. Siddle or Lee to replace Johnson if he can't turn it around.
    Last edited by Matt79; 20-07-2009 at 07:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    May as well lay a fortune on England winning yet another crucial toss. As we all know that's certain to happen.

Oi Watson, Lee, go hard or go home, ****s.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

The more I think about it, the more I reckon McDonald'll be a very strong chance for Edgy, assuming he does well in the tour match.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I reckon McDonald'll be a very strong chance for Edgy, assuming he does well in the tour match.
    Um, why?

He did ok with some guys out but should not even come close to consideration at full strength.
    penis

Dream XI: M Hyder, J Linker, M Clock, S Wetsin, A Simms, A Golcrhist, B Hugg, S Worde, B Leap, J Giuseppe, G MacGrith

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggy31 View Post
    Um, why?
    They'll want the extra bowling whilst not sacrificing too much with the batting. Aus have constantly shown with selections over the past few years that they'll go conservative with selection trying to cover as many bases as possible so if they do get rid of one of the batsmen I reckon it'll be for McDonald.

They'll want the extra bowling whilst not sacrificing too much with the batting. Aus have constantly shown with selections over the past few years that they'll go conservative with selection trying to cover as many bases as possible so if they do get rid of one of the batsmen I reckon it'll be for McDonald.
    Isn't Watson fit now?

Anyway, if they want to play a traditional all-rounder, Johnson's the man. Far better bat than Andy McD.

My lineup would be
    Hughes
    Katmandu
    Punter
    Clarke (awta promotion)
    North
    Haddin
    Johnson
    Lee (replace with Siddle if injured)
    Hauritz
    Clark (presumed fit)
    Hilf

Siddle & Huss unlucky but we need to win and as of right now, neither are capable of being genuine matchwinners. 5 man bowling attack may help to hide Johnson if he has another shocker and also means Lee & Clark don't have to bowl as many overs coming back from injury. Hopefully this will also reduce Hilfenhaus's extraordinary workload.

Isn't Watson fit now?

Anyway, if they want to play a traditional all-rounder, Johnson's the man. Far better bat than Andy McD.
    They've shown quite a liking to McDonald so as I said, wouldn't at all be suprised.

A lot happier going to this match at 1-0, I have to say

Injuries are going to decide our team I feel, so hard to speculate on the team. Unless KP improves his achilles you can see Key coming in and them keeping faith with Bopara. With the 1-0 win if Freddie is injured I think we'll go with a batsmen, so a possible middle-order that includes Key, Bopara and (sighs) Bell along with Colly. Broad will inevitably keep his place. Despite the hysteria I'd prefer Sidebottom to Harmison if we're replacing Onions.

I wouldn't be terribly confident if that was the case
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

They've shown quite a liking to McDonald so as I said, wouldn't at all be suprised.
    Yeh, fair.

Those of you who think of dropping Marcus North

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    My side.
    1 Simon Katich
    2 Phillip Hughes
    3 Ricky Ponting
    4 Michael Clarke - promoted
    5 Michael Hussey
    6 Brad Haddin
    7 Mitchell Johnson
    8 Brett Lee
    9 Nathan Hauritz
    10 Peter Siddle
    11 Ben Hilfenhaus

Opening the bowling
    Hilfenhaus and Lee.
    Yeah this is pretty much the side that I too would like to see take field at Edgbaston, unless Watto performs brilliantly in the practice game.

I think Johnson has shown enough to suggest that he can do the job at no.7, Haddin too has been in solid form, and Hauritz and Lee are capable lower order batsman, so they too are likely to contribute decently.

The bowling attack too seems to have all the bases covered with Lee coming into the line-up, I think he can be a big asset with the older ball, if he can consistently get the older ball to reverse, and of course his pace too would add some hostility to the attack.

I do agree that playing with just five proper batsman is bit of a risk, but I think we all would agree that if the top 3 or 4 don't fire, then having an extra batsman isn't going to bail us out of trouble either.

So its important that the top 4 batsman bat with a lot more responsibility and give the team a solid start on a more consistent basis, though one thing that I don't agree with is reshuffling the batting order, I think Huss and Clarke should continue to bat at the same slot, where they are currently batting.

Not the worst side ever, but I really worry about a Johnson struggling to cope being given extra responsibility. It's one thing having a license to hit when we've lost already, it's another thing batting at 7. Might be worth trying against the West Indies, but not now IMO.
    Word not now. Only if Hughes & Hussey where in top form would i risk it right now. But nice side no doubt, wouldn't mind seeing it in the future at all for real.

Yeh, fair.

Those of you who think of dropping Marcus North
    I know mate, its a bit unfair on him, but that's pretty much the need of the hour, I am sure he is professional enough to understand this.

Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    I watched heaps of that series in the Windies and he did NOT bowl as badly there as he did on the first morning this series. I'm not sure I've ever seen an Australian bowl that badly.
    First morning at lord's or this test you mean?. If its the latter i'd have to agree with Passag, Midge was far worse in the WI. His pace was never really touching 90 mph & was in the embryonic stages of useless trying to become a swing bowler during that tour.

Page 4 of 248 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread Information