• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official Third Test at Edgbaston

Andre

International Regular
Just remembered North has opened the batting a fair bit, maybe he would be an option?

For mine:

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
North
Haddin
Watson
Johnson
Hauritz
Siddle
Hilfenhaus.

England to bring in Harmison for Onions/Broad. If Pietersen is out, Key to bat 3 at Bopara 4 (who doesn't look a Test cricketer to me yet, highlighted by his consistent over-throwing yesterday, it's a mental thing).

Most interesting tour match for as long as I can remember, anyway.

Watson and Lee must play or go home, agreed. Huge match for Hughes, Hussey, Johnson and Clark. If I was Punter I'd bowl Johnson from one end for the whole 3 days to get some miles under the belt and bowl him back in.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Strauss doesn't seem to rate Onions judging by the number of overs he got in this innings, so a straight swap with Harmison seems likely. Bit harsh, but might be the right call. If KP or Fred isn't fit, that messes us up a treat though. You really wouldn't want Broad to be one of only four bowlers, so perhaps they'll stick Fred & Kev in an oxygen tent for the next 10 days and send them out filled with more chemicals than ICI.
Onions was injured wasn't he?

So excited about this. Going on day 3, can't wait

Matt79

Global Moderator
Still boggles the mind that Clark was called up for the one-day series against Pakistan when he could have been playing FC cricket and working up some form in England.
He was refused a clearance wasn't he?

Matt79

Global Moderator
For me:
Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
North
Haddin
Johnson
Hauritz
Clark
Hilfenhaus

Sorry Sids - don't hate me. I still :wub: you.

Players on notice for this test: Johnson, Hughes and Hussey. Rogers is in England playing FC unless I'm much mistaken, and the options for Hussey have been discussed. Siddle or Lee to replace Johnson if he can't turn it around.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
The more I think about it, the more I reckon McDonald'll be a very strong chance for Edgy, assuming he does well in the tour match.

Hoggy31

International Captain
The more I think about it, the more I reckon McDonald'll be a very strong chance for Edgy, assuming he does well in the tour match.
Um, why?

He did ok with some guys out but should not even come close to consideration at full strength.

pasag

RTDAS
They'll want the extra bowling whilst not sacrificing too much with the batting. Aus have constantly shown with selections over the past few years that they'll go conservative with selection trying to cover as many bases as possible so if they do get rid of one of the batsmen I reckon it'll be for McDonald.

Hoggy31

International Captain
They'll want the extra bowling whilst not sacrificing too much with the batting. Aus have constantly shown with selections over the past few years that they'll go conservative with selection trying to cover as many bases as possible so if they do get rid of one of the batsmen I reckon it'll be for McDonald.
Isn't Watson fit now?

Anyway, if they want to play a traditional all-rounder, Johnson's the man. Far better bat than Andy McD.

irfan

State Captain
My lineup would be
Hughes
Katmandu
Punter
Clarke (awta promotion)
North
Haddin
Johnson
Lee (replace with Siddle if injured)
Hauritz
Clark (presumed fit)
Hilf

Siddle & Huss unlucky but we need to win and as of right now, neither are capable of being genuine matchwinners. 5 man bowling attack may help to hide Johnson if he has another shocker and also means Lee & Clark don't have to bowl as many overs coming back from injury. Hopefully this will also reduce Hilfenhaus's extraordinary workload.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A lot happier going to this match at 1-0, I have to say:)

Injuries are going to decide our team I feel, so hard to speculate on the team. Unless KP improves his achilles you can see Key coming in and them keeping faith with Bopara. With the 1-0 win if Freddie is injured I think we'll go with a batsmen, so a possible middle-order that includes Key, Bopara and (sighs) Bell along with Colly. Broad will inevitably keep his place. Despite the hysteria I'd prefer Sidebottom to Harmison if we're replacing Onions.

I wouldn't be terribly confident if that was the case:unsure:

pup11

International Coach
My side.
1 Simon Katich
2 Phillip Hughes
3 Ricky Ponting
4 Michael Clarke - promoted
5 Michael Hussey
6 Brad Haddin
7 Mitchell Johnson
8 Brett Lee
9 Nathan Hauritz
10 Peter Siddle
11 Ben Hilfenhaus

Opening the bowling
Hilfenhaus and Lee.
Yeah this is pretty much the side that I too would like to see take field at Edgbaston, unless Watto performs brilliantly in the practice game.

I think Johnson has shown enough to suggest that he can do the job at no.7, Haddin too has been in solid form, and Hauritz and Lee are capable lower order batsman, so they too are likely to contribute decently.

The bowling attack too seems to have all the bases covered with Lee coming into the line-up, I think he can be a big asset with the older ball, if he can consistently get the older ball to reverse, and of course his pace too would add some hostility to the attack.

I do agree that playing with just five proper batsman is bit of a risk, but I think we all would agree that if the top 3 or 4 don't fire, then having an extra batsman isn't going to bail us out of trouble either.

So its important that the top 4 batsman bat with a lot more responsibility and give the team a solid start on a more consistent basis, though one thing that I don't agree with is reshuffling the batting order, I think Huss and Clarke should continue to bat at the same slot, where they are currently batting.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Not the worst side ever, but I really worry about a Johnson struggling to cope being given extra responsibility. It's one thing having a license to hit when we've lost already, it's another thing batting at 7. Might be worth trying against the West Indies, but not now IMO.
Word not now. Only if Hughes & Hussey where in top form would i risk it right now. But nice side no doubt, wouldn't mind seeing it in the future at all for real.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I watched heaps of that series in the Windies and he did NOT bowl as badly there as he did on the first morning this series. I'm not sure I've ever seen an Australian bowl that badly.
First morning at lord's or this test you mean?. If its the latter i'd have to agree with Passag, Midge was far worse in the WI. His pace was never really touching 90 mph & was in the embryonic stages of useless trying to become a swing bowler during that tour.