• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official Third Test at Edgbaston

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
Good news for Swann though I suppose. Although I doubt we can win now that Fred's gone. Really needed a hundred lead at least.

Such a soft way to go though. Very unlucky. I'd rather him have got out trying to muller one.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Considering they were referring to Watson as the player that let Ponting down today, that doesn't fly.
True in a way... but I think Watson's not the only one who's let Ponting down today.

Anyway, I'm not a major Broad fan, but I do like him in the team atm. If Fred ges and we need a four-man attack, I'm not so sure.

pskov

International 12th Man
It's so so painful to listen to when the comms start talking about Broad. He's bowled absolute pies all series, how they can keep justifying his selection with "he has to come good, surely!" is absolutely mystifying.
He shouldn't be in the side, but do remember that he is only 23. He's about 6 months younger than Siddle was when he made his test debut. So I think he has the capacity to get better and be a good test player in the somewhat near future.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Last ball before leaving for breakfast was Prior geting out. First ball back was Flintoff. Either Im bad luck, need to eat longer meals or both

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Dunno, Swann doesn't hang around, anyway the lead isn't anywhere near big enough to put real pressure on australia, unless they repeat their 1st innings performance.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Because we have a 5-man attack which means the batting of our fifth bowler is more important. And because he's a fifth bowler his bowling is less important that that of the Aussies fourth.
But Strauss doesn't use him as a 5th bowler, he has far too much (unfounded) faith in.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wow. Bowled Haurrie! real turn there.

Well played Flintoff. Surely Johnson must tickle Swann's ribs here.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
He shouldn't be in the side, but do remember that he is only 23. He's about 6 months younger than when Siddle was when he made his test debut. So I think he has the capacity to get better and be a good test player in the somewhat near future.
But siddle was effective almost straight away, Broad's had 20 matches to do something and his returns seem to be getting even worse.

Pigeon

Banned
Another allrounder captained his team to a world cup win in that age. Just because Siddle, who is just an average bowler, did something at a later age does not mean it can be taken for granted that a bowler can be **** till he becomes 25 or 30.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Last ball before leaving for breakfast was Prior geting out. First ball back was Flintoff. Either Im bad luck, need to eat longer meals or both
If it means we bowl them out quick, I'll make you Eggs Benedict mate.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
But Strauss doesn't use him as a 5th bowler, he has far too much (unfounded) faith in.
You've got to have some faith in your bowlers, no point at all pulling them out of the attack straight away every time they're not going too well. I think Broad bowled well in the first innings at Lords. And in this first innings he was definitely used as the fourth seamer.

pskov

International 12th Man
But siddle was effective almost straight away, Broad's had 20 matches to do something and his returns seem to be getting even worse.
Yes no doubt, but my point is that he has played 20 tests at a very young age, so it's not much of a surprise that he hasn't been that effective. If Siddle or Johnson had been selected at 21 and given a long run in the side I'd expect their career stats would look pretty bad too. I'm not saying that Broad should've been selected over the last 2 years because in my mind he clearly shouldn't have been, only that to say that he is obviously crap and should never play again based on what he has done so far is to forget how young he is and that he could be a lot better and a good player in the future.