• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Aussie Spinners

Tuffers

Cricket Spectator
Not making the impact I was expecting. Shayne must be squirming watching this rubbish.

The England seamers seem to have got to grips with the wicket.

This isn't a batting wicket, so our bowlers should have a field day out there and comfortably win this very intriguing 2nd test.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Aussie Spinners Not making the impact I was expecting.
You were expecting Nathan Hauritz, Marcus North, Michael Clarke and Simon Katich to make much of an impression? :blink:
Shayne must be squirming watching this rubbish.
I doubt it, even though he doesn't strike me as all that clued-up on his cricket history he must know that next to no-one had any more success than Hauritz has so far between Benaud's last hurrah and his own first hurrah in New Zealand in 1992/93.
Funny, given they've yet to bowl on it.
This isn't a batting wicket
Really? Looks one hell of a lot like one to me.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Unfortunate for Hauritz that it was one of the two fingers important for him to bowl with. If that swelling doesn't go down, probably leaves Australia one bowler short for the rest of the match.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shayne O'Connor?

Never realised the great New Zealander took such an interest in Australian spin bowlers.
Stood behind the nets when Shayne was bowling in Brisbane one year. Thought he was sharp. The ball I remember him bowling would have hit me right between the eyes. Made me flinch despite the net being in the way.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Unfortunate for Hauritz that it was one of the two fingers important for him to bowl with. If that swelling doesn't go down, probably leaves Australia one bowler short for the rest of the match.
Speaking of Aussie spinners...

Started into pre-season yet Jack?

Burgey

Just doing a fair bit of fitness at the moment. Probably should start with some batting soon.
Cool.

We're starting Sunday. I'm trying to co-ordinate somethign a bit better than what we've had in the past thie year. Got some bowling and batting external coaches coming down for sojme sessions, and the bloke who teches me martial arts is going to come down and beat up on some blokes for somethign different.

Hopefully it'll get us back on track.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Cool.

We're starting Sunday. I'm trying to co-ordinate somethign a bit better than what we've had in the past thie year. Got some bowling and batting external coaches coming down for sojme sessions, and the bloke who teches me martial arts is going to come down and beat up on some blokes for somethign different.

Hopefully it'll get us back on track.
One thing that always annoys me is that you don't do enough fielding work until the season starts. If you can get an open space (which in Melbourne is nigh on impossible during footy season) and combine fitness and fielding under duress.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One thing that always annoys me is that you don't do enough fielding work until the season starts. If you can get an open space (which in Melbourne is nigh on impossible during footy season) and combine fitness and fielding under duress.
What used to annoy me is that a team I used to play for didn't do any fielding training at all. For the whole season. And we were first grade. Then you get some ****ing idiot at point who never looks like taking a catch being persisted with because he looks like he can catch and there's noone better as none of us have done any fielding. We did have a brilliant session once with a guy from the Gold Coast Dolphins. Ran us off our feet. Only did it once though and then once it was up to the team captain and coaches we did nothing.

In short, I think fielding is criminally neglected. Probably not so much at your level though Vic.

I have to admit, I was surprised at all the pre-game work and work in training put in by the guys in sub-districts in Melbourne. Much much different to us. Most of my fielding work came from diving about in the creek catching tennis balls for hours on end. I think it may have been why I was decent in the gully/point area but pretty ordinary in the outfield.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

I reckon it depends on the number of people at training. When I was playing for Uni, we had so many players vying for spots and only 4 nets so, well, what else is there to do? Fielding was pushed hard there.

Woodville was a different story, mainly because only the bare minimum rocked-up and everyone would rather bowl or bat than field. :D

Cameron-Moss

U19 12th Man
Not making the impact I was expecting. Shayne must be squirming watching this rubbish.

This isn't a batting wicket, so our bowlers should have a field day out there and comfortably win this very intriguing 2nd test.

You say the second test, but its only the second day and the English seamers have not yet bowled on it. Maybe you meant the batters. I'm hoping we bat aswell as we can, obviously, and then get australia out fairly easy.