• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Watson to replace mike hussey

Jakester1288

International Regular
Watson was bowling today.
This was media talk a few days ago after husseys failure,i wouldn't be surprised if watson is added to the lords squad,but hussey given the benefit of the doubt.
but if hussey fails 2nd test maybe watson the man,clarke at 4 north 5 watson 6.
How do you reckon Watson would perform at 4 out of interest? Clarke isn't the best against a swinging ball, whilst Watson has batted at 4 and opened for the Bulls as well as batting 1-9 for Australia in ODI's, averaging 219 facing the first ball, 41.30 opening from the non strikers end, and has never been dismissed battin at 4 (in 2 innings, including a 77*). In Tests, he has only batted 6 and 7, and performed poorly at both.

Is there anywhere where you can gather similar statistics for his First Class matches?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I doubt there's much chance of Hussey being dropped this series. You back quality players to come good and with just about everyone getting a score last Test, the selectors would be suggesting it's a matter of time and the team can carry him for a little while. Sorry for Watto but there's probably no way into a top-6 Test spot any time soon.

frey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Watson was bowling today.
This was media talk a few days ago after husseys failure,i wouldn't be surprised if watson is added to the lords squad,but hussey given the benefit of the doubt.
but if hussey fails 2nd test maybe watson the man,clarke at 4 north 5 watson 6.
I was originally surprised to see Watson left out of the First Test eleven. However, I feel that Mr Cricket is safe for the full series. Although he failed in one innings, he had a good game in the warm up match. I would, however, like to see Stuart Clarke selected for the next game.

howardj

International Coach
One half century in his last 13 Tests.

Mr Cricket must produce at Lords, or off with his head.

Andre

International Regular
Agreed.

I don't think the selectors will want to carry Hussey and North in the same side for too long once Watson is fit. The potential Watson offers is boundless (I think Cardiff shows we probably can't afford to take only 4 bowlers into a Test in the post Warne/McGrath era) and they'd want to get him in the side, at least for the first session of nominated Test match before he pulls a heartlidge or some other 'soft tissue' injury. North and Hussey both do a similar 'hold together' job in the middle order. Clarke also should be batting 4 ahead of Hussey - can't quite fathom that he isn't already, but I guess it is a show of faith in Hussey more than anything.

I have been of the opinion though that Hussey is on the way out of Test cricket. Not sure if he can still bat for a day at that level, him getting hit quite a few times during the Aussie summer also to me suggests that his reflexes are starting to slow, and as harder worker as he is, I'm not convinced he has the natural talent base to fall back on like a lot of other players have in the twiglight of their career.

Can't see him miss out at Lord's but without a big score he is in borrowed time.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I doubt there's much chance of Hussey being dropped this series. You back quality players to come good and with just about everyone getting a score last Test, the selectors would be suggesting it's a matter of time and the team can carry him for a little while.
This. England would be delighted if Hussey got the chop. He's a player who has really hot streaks and given the solidity of the batting around him, Australia can afford to hang on until that hot streak starts.

pup11

International Coach
One half century in his last 13 Tests.

Mr Cricket must produce at Lords, or off with his head.
I'm not sure about that mate, scored 90 odd in the last test in India, then scored a 70 odd against the Black Caps at Adelaide, and even scored a scratchy 50 in one of the tests in South Africa.

In fairness he has had 6 torrid test matches in a row against the Proteas and another bad outing against the poms at Cardiff, but as many have said already said dropping him at any point in this series would be crazy, he is a proven performer and he should be given atleast the next 4 tests to prove himself all over again.

Though if he still fails to uplift his fortunes by the end of this Ashes, then it would only be fair enough to drop him, and move on and provide a chance to some other deserving player.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hussey being dropped a single innings after scoring 140-odd would obviously be a terrible piece of selection. However, should his replacement score 67 and 56 it would obviously then become an excellent one.

Seriously hope that if Aus bring Watson in for anyone, it's North. And, clearly, he deserves to be dropped no more than Ponting currently.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Hussey being dropped a single innings after scoring 140-odd would obviously be a terrible piece of selection. However, should his replacement score 67 and 56 it would obviously then become an excellent one.
This goes against EVERYTHING you believe in!!! :-O

Matt79

Global Moderator

Seriously hope that if Aus bring Watson in for anyone, it's North. And, clearly, he deserves to be dropped no more than Ponting currently.
The prob with that theory is that these days Australia only has to bat once a match :whistling

Agree re North - lol'd to see someone earlier in the thread describe
him as being carried 8-)

howardj

International Coach
I'm not sure about that mate, scored 90 odd in the last test in India, then scored a 70 odd against the Black Caps at Adelaide, and even scored a scratchy 50 in one of the tests in South Africa.

In fairness he has had 6 torrid test matches in a row against the Proteas and another bad outing against the poms at Cardiff, but as many have said already said dropping him at any point in this series would be crazy, he is a proven performer and he should be given atleast the next 4 tests to prove himself all over again.

Though if he still fails to uplift his fortunes by the end of this Ashes, then it would only be fair enough to drop him, and move on and provide a chance to some other deserving player.
Might be last 13 innings.

It's 13 somethings.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Be stupid to drop him, even if he isn't making runs, he brings experience and has proven in the past that he can make runs when the chips are down.