• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sidebottom Info.

TazzX

U19 12th Man
Why is he not an option for the Ashes Test? I have looked around and not many of you talk about him or make mention of him, Looks like he is very much out of favour with the selectors?

Thanks.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
There's been occasional comments to the effect that we're not at all convince about his fitness for the longer form of the game, supported by his unimpressive performances in the CC this summer.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Plus the fact he's not quick enough to get much success at the highest level.

Probably the bowler with the most flattering set of career figures around at the moment.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's easily quick enough to get success at the highest level, he swings the ball at 85-90mph. He just can't maintain it for a whole test at the moment, I suspect, which brings us back to the whole fitness thing. So yeah, basically he won't play because he's crocked.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think poor old Sid is caught between a rock and a hard place. As the SA series & the Windies tour showed if he's not fit enough to bowl at full lick he becomes fodder, especially when there's no swing. However bowling flat out seems to do horrible things to his back, which in turn seems to lead to weight gain and a reduction in pace; it's a vicious circle.

Skeptical whether he'll retain his central contract for the winter, tbh. Looks as if his golden period is going to remain a heartbreakingly brief one.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
He's easily quick enough to get success at the highest level, he swings the ball at 85-90mph. He just can't maintain it for a whole test at the moment, I suspect, which brings us back to the whole fitness thing. So yeah, basically he won't play because he's crocked.
Yea this seems to be his CV atm. Although i do have a sneaky feeling there is more it..

Burgey

He is quicker than McGrath was and Clark is. Enough said.
He's quicker than McGrath was in his 30s. Ask Peter Kirsten how slow McGrath was in his early-mid 20s, or anyone else he bounced out in those days.

McGrath in his early days was certainly quick enough.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Fair enough, but that isn't really the point. Richie Benaud said that Lords 2005 was McGrath's best ever spell and he can't have been bowling much more than 84mph.

tooextracool

International Coach
He's quicker than McGrath was in his 30s. Ask Peter Kirsten how slow McGrath was in his early-mid 20s, or anyone else he bounced out in those days.

McGrath in his early days was certainly quick enough.
Think thats irrelevant. You cant compare apples and oranges and then say then say that they are both the same because they are the same size.

McGrath got close to the stumps, bowled with an upright action that allowed him to maximize his height by getting more bounce out of the wicket. Not to mention that McGrath was primarily a seam bowler.

Sidebottom bowls from wider of the stumps, is skiddier and relies on swing rather than seam movement. When the ball isnt swinging or barely swinging, Sidebottom at 82-84mph is cannon fodder.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Think it's greatly understated how much of a loss Sidebottom is for England. He was the main difference between England and NZ in the series last year (or the series in NZ anyway), had decent pace, good control and looked constantly threatening. He was decidedly better than any other English bowler on display and was the clear leader of the attack.

Of course the pitches were relatively helpful and NZ's batting isn't the greatest - thus he was never forced to bowl a huge number of overs where fitness might come into play. But he still outperformed all his colleagues by a long way in these conditions.

Sidebum = awesome. It's a real shame if his fitness is no good.

Zinzan

Plus the fact he's not quick enough to get much success at the highest level.

Probably the bowler with the most flattering set of career figures around at the moment.
He's easily quick enough provided he can bowl accurately and seam & swing the ball, which he seemed capable of doing last I saw him bowl. Nobody ever criticizes the likes of Hadlee, Mcgrath or the like of not being quick enough for Test level. Much better option the Broad for a start (who I still can't believe is rated as highly as he seems to be) IMHO.

Incidentally Marc, good to see you back

Stapel

International Regular
I guess it is about fitness....

I find it harder to comprehend why Hoggard is never considered. What has he done wrong?

Uppercut

I guess it is about fitness....

I find it harder to comprehend why Hoggard is never considered. What has he done wrong?
According to our spies on the forum who saw him bowl for Yorkshire (four_or_six) he's now ****e.

Athlai

Not Terrible
He's easily quick enough provided he can bowl accurately and seam & swing the ball, which he seemed capable of doing last I saw him bowl. Nobody ever criticizes the likes of Hadlee, Mcgrath or the like of not being quick enough for Test level. Much better option the Broad for a start (who I still can't believe is rated as highly as he seems to be) IMHO.

Incidentally Marc, good to see you back
Broads actually put on a yard of pace since he was diring up New Zealand. Still not good enough to be a frontline bowler though. 140+ reliably is still good pace

Zinzan

Broads actually put on a yard of pace since he was diring up New Zealand. Still not good enough to be a frontline bowler though. 140+ reliably is still good pace
I've seen heaps of Broad since he played against NZ last year & I'd definitely have Sidebottom ahead of him. Main reason being he attacks the stumps more than Broad. Ironically, its been Broad's ability with the bat that has most impressed me in recent times.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well yeah Sidebottom is certainly a frontline bowler, but Broad's rapid improvement is basically opening up the publics eyes to his massive future potential. I reckon chuck out MSP for Sidey or Onions and keep Broad for the batting and hope he has a few good spells.

pietersenrocks

U19 Vice-Captain
Hoggard has been ****e cos he believes his International career is over.

Harmisson & Sidebottom both are better than Broad ATM. Broad cant take 5-fer by bowling cross-seam.

I say, pick Harmy & Sidebom and drop MSP & Broad.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Broad has taken a Test 5fer, so you're wrong there.

As for picking Harmison and Sidebottom, no thanks, Onions has been the best bowler in the country this season, and he should be picked ahead of them.