Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Sidebottom Info.

  1. #1
    U19 12th Man TazzX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    208

    Sidebottom Info.

    Why is he not an option for the Ashes Test? I have looked around and not many of you talk about him or make mention of him, Looks like he is very much out of favour with the selectors?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Cricketer Of The Year wpdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,948
    There's been occasional comments to the effect that we're not at all convince about his fitness for the longer form of the game, supported by his unimpressive performances in the CC this summer.

  3. #3
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,859
    Plus the fact he's not quick enough to get much success at the highest level.

    Probably the bowler with the most flattering set of career figures around at the moment.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  4. #4
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,814
    He's easily quick enough to get success at the highest level, he swings the ball at 85-90mph. He just can't maintain it for a whole test at the moment, I suspect, which brings us back to the whole fitness thing. So yeah, basically he won't play because he's crocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.


  5. #5
    Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,189
    Very annoying for Sidebottom that Notts don't seem to have played this last week for some reason.

  6. #6
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Gone too soon
    Posts
    45,340
    Think poor old Sid is caught between a rock and a hard place. As the SA series & the Windies tour showed if he's not fit enough to bowl at full lick he becomes fodder, especially when there's no swing. However bowling flat out seems to do horrible things to his back, which in turn seems to lead to weight gain and a reduction in pace; it's a vicious circle.

    Skeptical whether he'll retain his central contract for the winter, tbh. Looks as if his golden period is going to remain a heartbreakingly brief one.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

  7. #7
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    He's easily quick enough to get success at the highest level, he swings the ball at 85-90mph. He just can't maintain it for a whole test at the moment, I suspect, which brings us back to the whole fitness thing. So yeah, basically he won't play because he's crocked.
    Yea this seems to be his CV atm. Although i do have a sneaky feeling there is more it..

  8. #8
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,988
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Plus the fact he's not quick enough to get much success at the highest level.
    He is quicker than McGrath was and Clark is. Enough said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

  9. #9
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    42,093
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    He is quicker than McGrath was and Clark is. Enough said.
    He's quicker than McGrath was in his 30s. Ask Peter Kirsten how slow McGrath was in his early-mid 20s, or anyone else he bounced out in those days.

    McGrath in his early days was certainly quick enough.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

    #408. Sixty three not out forever.

  10. #10
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,988
    Fair enough, but that isn't really the point. Richie Benaud said that Lords 2005 was McGrath's best ever spell and he can't have been bowling much more than 84mph.

  11. #11
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    He's quicker than McGrath was in his 30s. Ask Peter Kirsten how slow McGrath was in his early-mid 20s, or anyone else he bounced out in those days.

    McGrath in his early days was certainly quick enough.
    Think thats irrelevant. You cant compare apples and oranges and then say then say that they are both the same because they are the same size.

    McGrath got close to the stumps, bowled with an upright action that allowed him to maximize his height by getting more bounce out of the wicket. Not to mention that McGrath was primarily a seam bowler.

    Sidebottom bowls from wider of the stumps, is skiddier and relies on swing rather than seam movement. When the ball isnt swinging or barely swinging, Sidebottom at 82-84mph is cannon fodder.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

  12. #12
    International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    l
    Posts
    6,357
    Think it's greatly understated how much of a loss Sidebottom is for England. He was the main difference between England and NZ in the series last year (or the series in NZ anyway), had decent pace, good control and looked constantly threatening. He was decidedly better than any other English bowler on display and was the clear leader of the attack.

    Of course the pitches were relatively helpful and NZ's batting isn't the greatest - thus he was never forced to bowl a huge number of overs where fitness might come into play. But he still outperformed all his colleagues by a long way in these conditions.

    Sidebum = awesome. It's a real shame if his fitness is no good.

  13. #13
    International Coach Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    11,204
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Plus the fact he's not quick enough to get much success at the highest level.

    Probably the bowler with the most flattering set of career figures around at the moment.
    He's easily quick enough provided he can bowl accurately and seam & swing the ball, which he seemed capable of doing last I saw him bowl. Nobody ever criticizes the likes of Hadlee, Mcgrath or the like of not being quick enough for Test level. Much better option the Broad for a start (who I still can't believe is rated as highly as he seems to be) IMHO.

    Incidentally Marc, good to see you back

  14. #14
    State Captain Stapel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,939
    I guess it is about fitness....

    I find it harder to comprehend why Hoggard is never considered. What has he done wrong?

  15. #15
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Stapel View Post
    I guess it is about fitness....

    I find it harder to comprehend why Hoggard is never considered. What has he done wrong?
    According to our spies on the forum who saw him bowl for Yorkshire (four_or_six) he's now ****e.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Caption : Sidebottom & Wright
    By biased indian in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 19-09-2009, 09:34 AM
  2. Wellington NZ Cricket Ground Info
    By corkyboy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 21-12-2007, 05:39 PM
  3. Hampshire Under 19s info required
    By Hoggy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 18-10-2006, 03:16 PM
  4. Season 3 Draft Info
    By Blewy in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: 12-11-2003, 05:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •