Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ponting accuses England of gamesmanship

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Two things to bear in mind about this whole thing;

1) As has been said, Aus had plenty of overs at the last pair and couldn't get them.
    2) 98 overs were planned for the day and 98 were bowled. The stalling for time didn't affect how many overs the Aussies were allowed, it just meant there would be no bonus overs.

The whole thing is just diverting from the fact that Aus should have won the Test pretty easily and didn't because they weren't quite good enough.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post

1) As has been said, Aus had plenty of overs at the last pair and couldn't get them.
    2) 98 overs were planned for the day and 98 were bowled. The stalling for time didn't affect how many overs the Aussies were allowed, it just meant there would be no bonus overs.

The whole thing is just diverting from the fact that Aus should have won the Test pretty easily and didn't because they weren't quite good enough.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Just saw The Chaser's visit to Lords online tonight. Was a funny clip.
    Who's The Chaser?

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    I don't think Aus had the chance to timewaste at OT in 2005 - the last 15 overs would have taken beyond an hour with seamers on - different case entirely with twirlers on.

FWIW, anyone who wouldn't do anything to ensure that they faced the minimum number of overs as a batting side playing for a draw in the last hour is a muppet. I'd do the same in a school game (although as we have to bowl 20 in the last hour, it's very rarely the case it comes down to that - and it's more often a case of playing it the other way around: namely getting the spinners in before the last hour and then stopping worrying about time when you let the quicker boys attack, knowing the last hour can now take 80-90 minutes...
    Last edited by Neil Pickup; 13-07-2009 at 09:31 AM.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Who's The Chaser?
    It is an Aussie comedy show, on BBC 4 prior to Flight of the Conchords. They do various comedic stunts such as seeing how many NY corporate headquarters they can get thrown out of in a day or going door-to-door trying to sell spam email products.
    Last edited by Chubb; 13-07-2009 at 09:49 AM.
    ZIMBABWE
    Somebody has to...

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wfdu_ben91 View Post
    His claiming that he sent him out to tell Monty Panesar and James Anderson how much time was left... why would he need to do that?
    Well seeing as the commentators and spectators didn't know what was going on in relation to time rather than overs, how did Monty and Jimmy?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Well seeing as the commentators and spectators didn't know what was going on in relation to time rather than overs, how did Monty and Jimmy?
    And why would you need to stop play just to tell them? Either way, it wasn't going to affect the way they bat.

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by wfdu_ben91 View Post
    And why would you need to stop play just to tell them? Either way, it wasn't going to affect the way they bat.
    Of course they needed to be told. When the minimum overs were down to 2.5 they might have thought they'd saved the game when it fact Australia were bowling more than the minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Of course they needed to be told. When the minimum overs were down to 2.5 they might have thought they'd saved the game when it fact Australia were bowling more than the minimum.
    ... particularly with the crowd celebrating like we were already safe.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    My kid brother loves to wind me up, but he's gone too far this time...

(we have different dads hence different surnames)
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    No-one's saying it's a defence. What it is is two things: first, a mitigating factor which puts the gravity of the offence into proper perspective, and secondly, it's a perfectly legitimate reply to the little hairy two-headed rat who sees fit to slag you off for it whilst preaching about the Spirit of Cricket. Hauritz was big enough to have admitted that Australia would have done the same thing.
    Actually, Hauritz said he'd do the same thing.
    Honestly, this is grist to my mill of England hating, and will be another example for me to rant about in a few years time, but in reality Ponting will have moved on and if I were him I'd be loving all the frothing my comments had caused.

TMS thougjt the tactics were dire as well. Probably not a drama if they come out once. Twice in 2 overs a bit rich though imoM
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Still a non-issue two days later...
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    You could just ask the umpire if it was a concern. As someone above said though, that wouldn't make them aware of the match situation itself regarding whether they saved the match or not.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 13-07-2009 at 06:29 PM.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post

The shoe is on the other foot now. Maybe like we have seen from opponents in the past, we can enjoy a procession of waterworks autobiographies from our current team to come out in the future, when really it was really only ability that cost us the matches, not a few minor moments here and there blown way out of proportion by the mob.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    I was a little disappointed with the Poms in the first Test. Flintoff has to tie his shoe halfway through the second over after the break? **** off you did that on purpose.

Australia should have won, but the tailenders, Flintoff and Collingwood deserved England to get the draw.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information