• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting accuses England of gamesmanship

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
Ponting can get right off his high horse. Australia would have done exactly the same and it's nice how he didn't mention how Haddin continues to keep wicket with his hands in front of the stumps. Now that's not exactly in the spirit either is it Ricky lad?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't agree that it was the only thing we did well. We also made the Australian attack look half decent.
:laugh:

Pretty good actually. And Swann and Bopara made the wicket look like a minefield on occasions by ducking into bouncers or turning their heads. That was good of them.

Son Of Coco

Ponting can get right off his high horse. Australia would have done exactly the same and it's nice how he didn't mention how Haddin continues to keep wicket with his hands in front of the stumps. Now that's not exactly in the spirit either is it Ricky lad?
I couldn't say for sure that he would. Did he do it in 2005? I can't remember to be honest.

The argument that "you'd do it too" is a hollow one, and as for saying Ponting can't make a comment because of his own actions - that's ridiculous.

But, we wouldn't have won anyway by that stage. Ponting himself said it wasn't why we didn't get the win.

Last edited:

inbox24

International Debutant
How the hell do you guys know that we would have done the same thing if positions were reversed? It's a totally ridiculous accusation founded upon nothing.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
How the hell do you guys know that we would have done the same thing if positions were reversed? It's a totally ridiculous accusation founded upon nothing.
We're not exactly whiter than white when it comes to gamesmanship though, are we? Fair enough if you don't think Australia would have done the same - that's your call and we'll honestly never know either way - but it's not as though Australia doesn't have previous and I'd disagree with the idea that it's "totally ridiculous" and "founded upon nothing" to suggest we'd do something similar.

Again though, bottom line is we had 69 balls at 10 and 11 and couldn't get them out.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I couldn't say for sure that he would. Did he do it in 2005? I can't remember to be honest.

The arguement that "you'd do it too" is a hollow one, and as for saying Ponting can't make a comment because of his own actions - that's ridiculous.

But, we wouldn't have won anyway by that stage. Ponting himself said it wasn't why we didn't get the win.
"Everyone does it" - the rubbish defence of everyone who gets a speeding fine.

You make a good point mate. He should raise it. So if it's tried on again the match officials are all aware of it as an issue. There may be a time when it will be of some importance, if the minty grubs have another crack at it.

It's also about when these things happen, as it is in any sport. Get a dodgy bit of gamesmanship on day 2 of a bore-draw, or in the 30th minute of a league game, no one notices. Same thing happens in the 80th minute, it's headline news.

Loving the comment about Ponting's appeal from the same people who mocked their own bloke (Monty, with Strauss at slip baying away btw) for excessive appealing.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

We're not exactly whiter than white when it comes to gamesmanship though, are we? Fair enough if you don't think Australia would have done the same - that's your call and we'll honestly never know either way - but it's not as though Australia doesn't have previous and I'd disagree with the idea that it's "totally ridiculous" and "founded upon nothing" to suggest we'd do something similar.

Again though, bottom line is we had 69 balls at 10 and 11 and couldn't get them out.
Again, did we do it in 2005 when we were in a similar position?

You're right about us having enough deliveries left to get them out though.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
as for saying Ponting can't make a comment because of his own actions - that's ridiculous.
No, you're right: he has every right to say it. And it's also true that he has every right to lecture everyone about the Spirit of Cricket.

And we have every right to criticise his barefaced cheek.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Australia managed to get 15 overs in in 50 minutes with England timewasting. Makes a mockery of International sides not being able to bowl 15 overs an hour throughout a normal day.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
"Everyone does it" - the rubbish defence of everyone who gets a speeding fine.
No-one's saying it's a defence. What it is is two things: first, a mitigating factor which puts the gravity of the offence into proper perspective, and secondly, it's a perfectly legitimate reply to the little hairy two-headed rat who sees fit to slag you off for it whilst preaching about the Spirit of Cricket. Hauritz was big enough to have admitted that Australia would have done the same thing.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Generalisations make me sad. :(
In every case? ;)

Anyway, fixed. Apologies.

I now want to leave this issue behind because it's not likely to promote Anglo-Australian harmony on this forum, and we've got 4 Tests to get through yet.