Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ponting accuses England of gamesmanship

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by shivfan View Post
    When Dillon and Ramnarine did it against South Africa in 2001, they were hauled before the match referee. Thankfully, they were acquitted, but the English press had a field day, accusing the WI of time-wasting tactics....

West Indies waste time to save game - Cricket, Sport - The Independent

I see very little difference between what happened in the Caribbean in 2001 and what happened in Cardiff yesterday evening.

But there is a big difference in today's Indy headlines!
    If you can't see the difference then you clearly didn't see it at all. The two West Indians wasted at least 10 minutes. One feigned an injury and limped around and had the physio on for several minutes. The other had a complete change of footwear and thigh pads in the middle which also took a few minutes. What England did was pathetic but it was in no way comparable to that incident.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Whilst morally it's hard to defend, I'm have frankly been outraged if we hadn't tried something like it once it became apparent that time as well as overs bowled was a factor. Would've been unprofessional. No different to those association football substitutions made a couple of minutes from the end solely to waste time.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Whilst morally it's hard to defend, I'm have frankly been outraged if we hadn't tried something like it once it became apparent that time as well as overs bowled was a factor. Would've been unprofessional. No different to those association football substitutions made a couple of minutes from the end solely to waste time.
    Agreed - and who doesn't honestly think Australia wouldn't have done exactly the same thing if the positions were reversed?

The fact is that we had eleven-and-a-half overs at no.10 and 11, one of whom is a noted all-time bunny, and we couldn't get the wicket.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    The Poms should be given every credit for their efforts in wasting a little bit of time towards the end of the game. It's the only thing they did well for nigh on five days
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    The Poms should be given every credit for their efforts in wasting a little bit of time towards the end of the game. It's the only thing they did well for nigh on five days
    Don't agree that it was the only thing we did well. We also made the Australian attack look half decent.

Ponting can get right off his high horse. Australia would have done exactly the same and it's nice how he didn't mention how Haddin continues to keep wicket with his hands in front of the stumps. Now that's not exactly in the spirit either is it Ricky lad?
    Heads, Shoulders, Knees, John Stones

Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    Agreed - and who doesn't honestly think Australia wouldn't have done exactly the same thing if the positions were reversed?
    Exactly. Any team would.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Don't agree that it was the only thing we did well. We also made the Australian attack look half decent.

Pretty good actually. And Swann and Bopara made the wicket look like a minefield on occasions by ducking into bouncers or turning their heads. That was good of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzorno View Post
    Ponting can get right off his high horse. Australia would have done exactly the same and it's nice how he didn't mention how Haddin continues to keep wicket with his hands in front of the stumps. Now that's not exactly in the spirit either is it Ricky lad?
    I couldn't say for sure that he would. Did he do it in 2005? I can't remember to be honest.

The argument that "you'd do it too" is a hollow one, and as for saying Ponting can't make a comment because of his own actions - that's ridiculous.

But, we wouldn't have won anyway by that stage. Ponting himself said it wasn't why we didn't get the win.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 13-07-2009 at 08:25 AM.

How the hell do you guys know that we would have done the same thing if positions were reversed? It's a totally ridiculous accusation founded upon nothing.
    Inappropriate signature.
    --Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by inbox24 View Post
    How the hell do you guys know that we would have done the same thing if positions were reversed? It's a totally ridiculous accusation founded upon nothing.
    We're not exactly whiter than white when it comes to gamesmanship though, are we? Fair enough if you don't think Australia would have done the same - that's your call and we'll honestly never know either way - but it's not as though Australia doesn't have previous and I'd disagree with the idea that it's "totally ridiculous" and "founded upon nothing" to suggest we'd do something similar.

Again though, bottom line is we had 69 balls at 10 and 11 and couldn't get them out.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    I couldn't say for sure that he would. Did he do it in 2005? I can't remember to be honest.

The arguement that "you'd do it too" is a hollow one, and as for saying Ponting can't make a comment because of his own actions - that's ridiculous.

But, we wouldn't have won anyway by that stage. Ponting himself said it wasn't why we didn't get the win.
    "Everyone does it" - the rubbish defence of everyone who gets a speeding fine.

You make a good point mate. He should raise it. So if it's tried on again the match officials are all aware of it as an issue. There may be a time when it will be of some importance, if the minty grubs have another crack at it.

It's also about when these things happen, as it is in any sport. Get a dodgy bit of gamesmanship on day 2 of a bore-draw, or in the 30th minute of a league game, no one notices. Same thing happens in the 80th minute, it's headline news.

Loving the comment about Ponting's appeal from the same people who mocked their own bloke (Monty, with Strauss at slip baying away btw) for excessive appealing.
    Last edited by Burgey; 13-07-2009 at 04:47 AM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    We're not exactly whiter than white when it comes to gamesmanship though, are we? Fair enough if you don't think Australia would have done the same - that's your call and we'll honestly never know either way - but it's not as though Australia doesn't have previous and I'd disagree with the idea that it's "totally ridiculous" and "founded upon nothing" to suggest we'd do something similar.

Again though, bottom line is we had 69 balls at 10 and 11 and couldn't get them out.
    Again, did we do it in 2005 when we were in a similar position?

You're right about us having enough deliveries left to get them out though.

Again, did we do it in 2005 when we were in a similar position?
    I honestly don't remember mate, but if we didn't then fair play.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Not content with being the premier spinner in the contest Hauritz also has the good grace to be the bigger man:

I'd have done the same - Hauritz | Cricket News | The Ashes - England v Australia 2009 | Cricinfo.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information