Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The four pitches remaining

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by inbox24 View Post
    It was said somewhere that Graeme Smithers told the England cricket team that to beat Australia they needed to produce essentially flat decks which just turned a little bit. That's probably what the rest of the pitches are gonna be like. If that's the case then I hope nearly every game is a draw like the last one with England just hanging on.
    It's all well and good trying to do that - if the prevailing soil isn't right, you can't do so.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    But as I've said before, it's often a fast deck, so it still gets plenty of results.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Surely Cardiff would have shown them the problem with that line of thinking...
    Nah, there's no way you could expect that to happen. Swann being as poor as he was was never likely; equally, Hauritz being as less-than-dreadful as he was was never likely. Replay that match 10 times and England would probably dominate it more times than not.

Equally, though, that pitch was far from ideal. Yes, there was plenty of turn but there wasn't as much pace and bounce as would be ideal. More pace and bounce, even if there was a fraction less turn with it, would indeed be ideal. But as I say, there's virtually no chance of getting that at any of the remaining four grounds.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Replay that match 10 times and England would probably dominate it more times than not.
    lennyandkarl.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    But as I've said before, it's often a fast deck, so it still gets plenty of results.
    I think the pace is often overstated TBH, there's been more than one accusation in the last decade-and-a-bit that it's lost the speed and bounce it was famed for in the early-1990s.

One of the main reasons for there being so many results there in recent years has been the fact that one batting line-up or other has often run-out of steam:
    SA in 2008 one of the best examples
    England in 2007 managed to put-up just enough of a show to take advantage of India's generosity
    England in 2006 messed-up completely but Pakistan let them off by dropping catches then deciding that a stance against Darrell was more important than that one game
    In 2005 one dropped catch changed the game from result to draw, even with all the lost play
    In 2004 West Indies were diabolical for much of the time and more so than normal in the final match
    In 2003 South Africa imploded as they have on not-a-few occasions, hence the "choker" tag
    In 2002 both teams batted a bat-a-thon before the last day was washed-out
    In 2001 England weren't quite good enough to force a draw from Warne and co.
    In 2000 West Indies' batting was in shambolic state against England's swing bowlers all summer
    In 1999 as I say there was a decent bit in the pitch for seam and spin
    In 1998 Murali's magnificence averted a 600-plays-600
    In 1997 it was effectively similar to 1999
    In 1996 England batted diabolically and Mushtaq Ahmed bowled superbly
    In 1995 both teams batted a bat-a-thon

And then you go back to 1994, 1993, 1992, 1991 where as I say there was some of the famed real pace and bounce and all four Tests had results. Devon Malcolm enjoyed himself especially in the two lattermost years.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    lennyandkarl.jpg
    Who-ey?

International Regular King Pietersen's Avatar
    I'm hoping we get a pitch like the one we faced the Windies on. It had abit of grass on, had some decent pace and bounce for our bowlers (although Edwards and Taylor struggled to get the ball to go through), and it was just a far fairer contest between bat and ball. If we get another dull, flat draw pitch then I'll be annoyed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information