• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Captain Charisma strikes with a classical insult. :laugh:

Nevertheless, no matter how someone posts, you don't take cracks at your fellow countrymen. You don't see any of the poms doing this and you give a far worse appeal to the country then any dickhead could, so well done on tarnishing the great reputation of Australia.

Your so **** because you've won 1 premiership in the last 50 years.
:laugh:

Right up there with the worst posts I've ever seen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hughes needs some time to work on the short pitched stuff, big mistake not bringing a reserve opener finally exposed.
Dunno where on Earth this nonsense comes from. One of the middle-order batsmen - Hussey - is a far more accomplished opener than one of the openers - Katich.

Of Australia's two openers in this party, one isn't even opening. Of course they have a reserve.

pasag

RTDAS
Truth be told, there's nothing structurally wrong with the side and I don't think a different side will make much of a difference. These guys just need a quick short, sharp shock so they don't do it again.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmm, Peter English on cricinfo says that Australia batting for two days here will be "as stunning as England's effort in the first test". Overrating England's performance in Cardiff a bit, surely? I'd say it'd leave it for dead personally.
Yup, if Australia win here (they're not going to be drawing) it'll be a far greater achievement than England's last-day one the previous game.

Fortunately, where that was unlikely, this is as near-impossible as anything in cricket ever is.

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
They're not dropping Johnson, Hilf and Hauritz have bowled well, Siddle has been good but unlucky. They need a change but it's a really difficult decision coming up. Which is why they might bottle it and drop a batsman for an all rounder.
If Clark picks up wickets in the tour match I will be shocked if he isnt in the side for egbaston. Johnson is bowling pies at the moment and unless he gets it sorted he simply has to be dropped.

inbox24

International Debutant
Dunno where on Earth this nonsense comes from. One of the middle-order batsmen - Hussey - is a far more accomplished opener than one of the openers - Katich.

Of Australia's two openers in this party, one isn't even opening. Of course they have a reserve.
Getting Hussey to open is laughable, anyone will tell you that, especially given the form he's in right now.

Hoggy31

International Captain
You know the only real difference in this match was that Strauss Cook partnership. Near 200 runs while the opposing partnership managed 4. If Australia were chasing 300-350 this would be a lot tighter.
Let's not mention England receiving optimum conditions for both their batting and bowling innings.

Redbacks

International Captain
Of course, if he is selected in the next test, comes good and takes 15 wickets I'll be happy.
we have to treat the players like the stock market, buy low and sell high! Oh wait a minute, scrap that....We should definitely be picking players on 'the balance of probabilities' as to how they might perform in the next match. I can think of two trading strategies that make a good analogy:

a) follow the overall trend of the market i.e. pick A over B because right now A is performing well, conditions suit and B is sluggish etc.

b) knowing your own valuation of the player which should with enough careful analysis, override what the current market "media" say about short-term performance, and to be able to make a structured decision based on solid evidence. Not decide your outcome and ingnore poor form but rather to get an understanding of where it is going wrong and whether their is a solution short term.

a) probably belongs to the fan, b) the selector which is why I doubt Johnson would be dropped, although, this is contingent on him being able to demonstrate he is capable of performing to the standards his selection is based on. If he is struggling with the duke I say make him hold one all day for the next week ala Sheedy making his players sleep with their football to understand it :laugh:

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
Truth be told, there's nothing structurally wrong with the side and I don't think a different side will make much of a difference. These guys just need a quick short, sharp shock so they don't do it again.
I disagree, Clark can build pressure with consistently good lines and lengths, something we sorely missed on the first day especially.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Let's not mention England receiving optimum conditions for both their batting and bowling innings.
Like Australia did in Adelaide in 1998/99 you mean?

Yes, England have benefited hugely from the way conditions have worked-out this match, but fortunately no-one can blame anyone for this. It's just the way things go from time to time. You cash-in when conditions favour you, well done; you fail when they do, you pay the price.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They could be really controversial and get Phil Hughes and Simon Katich to open.
Would tend to be the sensible option. Not sure why everyone is so mad on the idea of dropping Hughes right now, would make no sense whatsoever.

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
Would tend to be the sensible option. Not sure why everyone is so mad on the idea of dropping Hughes right now, would make no sense whatsoever.
Agreed, I mean its not like we are the only side carrying a batsman at the moment. Hughes is quality and will come good.