• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

inbox24

International Debutant
Nah, selectors like to keep a spinner in the side which totally goes against what they said before with 'horses for courses'. They would break Hauritz's little heart dropping him after a game when he looked half threatening.

inbox24

International Debutant
I know everyone's gonna flame me, but I've never rated Johnson's bowling, so I wouldn't mind if the selectors did the unthinkable.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, selectors like to keep a spinner in the side which totally goes against what they said before with 'horses for courses'. They would break Hauritz's little heart dropping him after a game when he looked half threatening.
But surely Johnson & Siddle are safe as houses at this stage. And Hilfenhaus bowled well is less friendly conditions than he'll find at Lord's. It has to be Clark vs Hauritz, and I know who I'd prefer Englajnd to be facing.

EDIT
beaten to it.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Friday looks like it could be a complete washout judging by the weather report i just saw on bbc :@ or :) depending on how well thursday goes i guess :ph34r:

pup11

International Coach
I'm just not a fan of the four-man pace attack, unless the conditions completely are loaded in their favour, the biggest problem with a four-man pace attack is that they are unlikely to bowl more than 70-75 overs in a day between them, leaving 15-20 overs to be bowled by the part-timers, and I don't think that's really a good idea to try to squeeze in that many overs out of part-time bowlers.

Anyways, less than 24 hours left before the start of the next test, and honestly just can't wait for the game to start.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Friday looks like it could be a complete washout judging by the weather report i just saw on bbc :@ or :) depending on how well thursday goes i guess :ph34r:
Tomorrow's set to be very damp- we could have textbook win-toss-bowl conditions, especially if the pitch is as green as reported.

inbox24

International Debutant
I don't think we should take into account over rates when picking bowlers. It hasn't been a problem for many teams since cricket was invented and Ponting and Co, should quicken the pace accordingly. If we had a bowling attack comprising of 4 of the best fast bowlers in history, and the next test was on a greentop, and we went with a spinner like Hauritz, imagine the uproar then. The only criteria in picking a bowling attack is still, and ability to bowl the opposition team out twice.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm just not a fan of the four-man pace attack, unless the conditions completely are loaded in their favour, the biggest problem with a four-man pace attack is that they are unlikely to bowl more than 70-75 overs in a day between them, leaving 15-20 overs to be bowled by the part-timers, and I don't think that's really a good idea to try to squeeze in that many overs out of part-time bowlers.

Anyways, less than 24 hours left before the start of the next test, and honestly just can't wait for the game to start.
70-75 overs?!?

Australia's seamers are very good when it comes to taking on a big workload. They could easily cope with almost all 90 overs in a day, particularly in English conditions. As opposed to the other situation with 3 seamers where you're forced to use 15-20 overs of spin, which could totally release the pressure if we're playing on a proper pitch this Test.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
70-75 overs?!?

Australia's seamers are very good when it comes to taking on a big workload
. They could easily cope with almost all 90 overs in a day, particularly in English conditions. As opposed to the other situation with 3 seamers where you're forced to use 15-20 overs of spin, which could totally release the pressure if we're playing on a proper pitch this Test.
I never thought of this, but it's an excellent point. Siddle, Johnson and Lee (when fit) will all run in all day bowling to the best of their ability. When picking from bowlers like Hilfenhaus, Clark and McDonald to complete the attack, a fifth bowler beyond Clarke/North/Katich would be completely surplus to requirements.

Of the English options in the pace department, the only bowler I'd trust to send down a third spell as good as his first is Anderson. That's a crucial difference when picking the teams.

91Jmay

International Coach
I never thought of this, but it's an excellent point. Siddle, Johnson and Lee (when fit) will all run in all day bowling to the best of their ability. When picking from bowlers like Hilfenhaus, Clark and McDonald to complete the attack, a fifth bowler beyond Clarke/North/Katich would be completely surplus to requirements.

Of the English options in the pace department, the only bowler I'd trust to send down a third spell as good as his first is Anderson. That's a crucial difference when picking the teams.
Graham Onions would fit that bill aswell, although how good his first spell is......

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
70-75 overs?!?

Australia's seamers are very good when it comes to taking on a big workload. They could easily cope with almost all 90 overs in a day, particularly in English conditions.
Yeah, if we can see they're beginning to tire in the last hour or so then under the spirit of fairplay we can always send Bilal out with a change of gloves for the batsmen to give the bowlers a breather. :ph34r:

fredfertang

Yeah, if we can see they're beginning to tire in the last hour or so then under the spirit of fairplay we can always send Bilal out with a change of gloves for the batsmen to give the bowlers a breather. :ph34r:
Excellent idea - sadly Bilal is otherwise engaged but I believe Gary Pratt may be at a loose end?

Scaly piscine

Heh they should have got Gary Pratt to bring the gloves on the other day. Ponting would have regressed terminally into enraged chimpdom then I think.