• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Matt Prior

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Thought that was some poor keeping yesterday as regards to that catch he took in front of Strauss. Very good catct, obviously, but poor decision making by going for it in the first place. Would have gone right down Strauss's throat.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
He's thus far doing okay but he needs to maintain it for the rest of this series and over a number series and years before the eulogies become too lavish.
No-one's pretending that he's a brilliant keeper, but the point of this thread was just to reintroduce a little balance into the discussion and I'm pleased that it has succeeded in doing that.

The near-universal slating of Matt Prior after poor performances in two or three Tests has been a masterclass in overreaction, and since that's been the way with Matt Prior it's only right that he gets full credit when he's performed well.

Which, in this series, he has done.

Thought that was some poor keeping yesterday as regards to that catch he took in front of Strauss. Very good catct, obviously, but poor decision making by going for it in the first place. Would have gone right down Strauss's throat.
True, that. But credit where it's due, having put his knackers on the block by going for it he rescued them with a pretty excellent and athletic piece of work.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I have to admit how I was so suprised that Strauss was spending his time in Prior's' front pocket in the first place. Prior was in good condition for that ball, and I think that the slips should never be set up in a situation that Prior/keeper is ever taking a dive to the right of Strauss, when he's there for the left hander.

Prior's catch of North, was always Prior's. But that dive should have been in front of Strauss.Spread the Trevor Gripper's out more.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have to admit how I was so suprised that Strauss was spending his time in Prior's' front pocket in the first place. Prior was in good condition for that ball, and I think that the slips should never be set up in a situation that Prior/keeper is ever taking a dive to the right of Strauss, when he's there for the left hander.

Prior's catch of North, was always Prior's. But that dive should have been in front of Strauss.Spread the Trevor Gripper's out more.
Completely agree. Prior had it covered, Strauss was too far to the right. Last thing you need is a 'keeper thinking about where the first slip is.

simmy

International Regular
He couldnt go right across Strauss and then pull out... and he was moving that way anyway because of the away swing on the ball.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Nice keeping today by Prior, on a difficult pitch. Great catch off Swann to dismiss Johnson.