• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Selection errors tally thread

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Let's have one of these. Pretty much universally agreed that it was a mistake to select Hilfenhaus over Clark and MSP over Onions. So without any of this hindsight nonsense making obvious errors seem like they were the right decision, that's 2 errors made already, 1 from either side.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't think anyone could've justified Sidebottom playing in this match. If he eventually picks-up his Championship form then he should at some point come back.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So a case of poor form and injury in the last 12 months?
Pretty much. The former caused to no small extent by the latter IMO, and the latter caused to no small extent by fitness not quite up to the required standard IMO.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Let's have one of these. Pretty much universally agreed that it was a mistake to select Hilfenhaus over Clark and MSP over Onions. So without any of this hindsight nonsense making obvious errors seem like they were the right decision, that's 2 errors made already, 1 from either side.
I didn't want Panesar in the team, but if the pitch turns like a bitch then it won't have been an error, at least not to pick two spinners. As I always say, sometimes you do have to get the full picture before you decide if something is correct.

That being said, I'd have picked Onions too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In my opinion the fact that the pitch turns (which it may or may not) does not in the slightest justify MSP playing. Of late, he's wasted turning decks on several occasions. Not good enough for a spinner who used to be bankable on taking advantage of them.

A turning deck does not in itself guarantee success for a spinner. The spinner has to bowl well, and it's a long time since MSP did that. Last time in fact was Old Trafford second-innings 2008 - over a year ago now.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wouldn't necessarily mark Huffenpuff down as a selection error seeing as there were/have been reports Clark was struggling to be ready for the match.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If Clark is indeed below required fitness levels, then of course the decision to leave him out is eminently fair enough. Haven't yet read enough to suggest that to me yet though.

Onions, however, is unquestionably as fit as a bowler ever is.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jesus. Could someone please explain to Dicko the difference between an error and a difference of opinion?

Any opinion, even a consensus of opinions, doesn't make anything a fact. Would I have selected Panesar? No. Does that make me right? Time will tell.

Hilfenhaus already looking a decent punt. Going at less than 2 RPO when the innings rate is over 3.5 and has taken a wicket. Again, not what I'd have done, but, heck, I'm prepared to concede my opinion isn't always right.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jesus. Could someone please explain to Dicko the difference between an error and a difference of opinion?
If you look deep enough, there's no such thing as an error, merely something almost all opinion converges on (or in the case of an error, against).

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Wouldn't necessarily mark Huffenpuff down as a selection error seeing as there were/have been reports Clark was struggling to be ready for the match.
Or, as one of the commentary team suggested, with Lee out then Hilfenhaus is more likely to exploit any swinging conditions than Clark.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Personally i think Hilfenhaus over Clark was an excellent decision. For a start, he's a full 10mph faster at the moment. Second, there was plenty of swing around and very little seam. Third, Hilfenhaus is bowling brilliantly at the moment. Fourth, his fitness is a lot less suspect.

It's not what I'd have done (although I may have felt differently if I had the knowledge the selectors had) but it's still looking like a great call (and very ballsy too, as the reaction on CW demonstrates).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Personally i think Hilfenhaus over Clark was an excellent decision. For a start, he's a full 10mph faster at the moment.
:huh: Clark was bowling as quickly as I've seen him bowl of times in the Lions game. There is no way Hilfenhaus was bowling at 96mph, nor close to, today.

Matt79

Global Moderator
It's not an error, it's that the selectors have knowledge that we, and the world's press don't have, eg how is Clark's fitness, how has he been bowling in the nets, how has Hilfy been bowling etc. Just because something is a 'surprise' to most informed opinion doesn't make it an error.

And while you can dismiss 'hindsight', the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and so far Hilfy has bowled very well, so no way has this been an error.