• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Selection errors tally thread

Austin3169

Cricket Spectator
I find it odd that one of the alleged reasons for Johnson's retention is what dropping him would do to his confidence, yet a young opener who is undoubtedly hugely talented won't have his confidence knocked after being dropped for an all-rounder? And this after seeming to play himself back into some form in the practice match at Northants. Dunno, find this odd.
Agree with this.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Watson's in great form, and Hughes is in horrendous form.
Don't see any evidence of that myself TBH. Hughes has had a bad game or two, and an OK-ish game or two, before which he's barely had 2 bad games in a row over his entire career. Watson has played a single First-Class game in the last, well, long time - that against a weak county second team attack. No way to know what sort of form he's in. Hughes is not, in my view, categorically out-of-nick, as I said a week or so ago.

Pigeon

Banned
Watson's in great form, and Hughes is in horrendous form. Even allowing for the fact that Hughes is more talented, has more experience opening in FC cricket and has been playing in English conditions all summer... I still think Watson will score more runs. The ball's hitting the middle of the bat for him, and it's not for Hughes.
Games against second XIs can be misleading for form, just weeks back Hughes was murdering county bowlers right?

Woodster

International Captain
Think England's opening bowlers will be looking forward to bowling at Watson should he be up top. Yes his technique has improved, but it is a huge step up for him to be opening the batting in a Test match. Definite selectorial balls-up,imo.

He may bowl ok, he did well in the series in India, was impressive. And let's face it, it's not like his body is not upto opening the batting and then 10 or 15 overs of bowling ??

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Isn't that a bit weird, announcing you've been dropped before the selectors officially name the team? What if there's no play today and then one of the other batsmen goes down sick overnight?

Woodster

International Captain
It's a bizarre situation alright, there may be one or two repercussions for Phil Hughes after announcing that before the game's anywhere near getting underway.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Isn't that a bit weird, announcing you've been dropped before the selectors officially name the team?
TBH it's been known since last (UK) night. Even if there wasn't official confirmation it's an open secret.
What if there's no play today and then one of the other batsmen goes down sick overnight?
Then he gets a last-minute repreive, as happens very occasionally.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, played pretty decently TBF, still a diabolical selection obviously.
:laugh:. Way too strong of a word. Just call it a risk, a valid risk i'd say. Its not like IND asking Ganguly to open based on ODI form. Watto's technique has always looked capable of succeding at test level as an opener. But of course its still early days.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Looks like the decision to play Watto wasn't too bad. He has looked very calm and assured, and is obviously in form.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh:. Way too strong of a word. Just call it a risk, a valid risk i'd say. Its not like IND asking Ganguly to open based on ODI form. Watto's technique has always looked capable of succeding at test level as an opener. But of course its still early days.
You could say that about the technique of more batsmen than not. AFAIC, the only justification for making someone open in Tests is if they've had a significant background doing it at several lower levels for several years. "He looks like he could do it" is not enough, for me.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Looks like the decision to play Watto wasn't too bad. He has looked very calm and assured, and is obviously in form.
Glad to hear you were claiming he was in-form before this innings, and glad you knew beyond reasonable doubt that he'd look calm and assured (he usually does TBF).

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
You could say that about the technique of more batsmen than not. AFAIC, the only justification for making someone open in Tests is if they've had a significant background doing it at several lower levels for several years. "He looks like he could do it" is not enough, for me.
But people like Katich have done it well. I don't think he'd done it before.