Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: Selection errors tally thread

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I've said before that how someone's hitting them in the nets is no use in judging form, or class. Nets are places to learn new tricks and hone what you have; the middle is the place to judge how good someone is or how well they're currently going.

As for Watson's recent form in the middle, UIMM the Northants game was his first game for months?

If you weren't expecting him to look assured, it's hard to use that as a contributory factor towards a case of why you'd have opened with him.
    Well, his Shield season for Qld (when most of these players last played FC cricket, and all but one match this calender year) got him an average of over 50. He then played 5 ODIs against Pakistan where he averaged 90, even though the batsmen generally struggled. And then he, apparently, looked excellent against Northants.

And I'm not saying I would have opened with him, fwiw I would have gone with Hussey although I can see the logic of stability in the batting order. I'm giving the selectors credit for picking someone who looked comfortable out there today and did a good job for his team in a slightly tricky situation.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    It's not a long-term policy. It's a last-minute decision based on the (absolutely reasonable) feeling that Watson is more likely to score runs in this match than Hughes.
    Didn't seem too last-minute to me - looked like they made their minds up a few days ago.

Either way that's not what I meant by long-term policy. I meant policy used (repeatedly) long-term. There have been many examples down the years of failure; there have, on the contrary, been a mere handful of examples of success.
    Reasonable decision for me on all counts.
    Did you mention this before the game started? If so I missed it.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    I'm giving the selectors credit for picking someone who looked comfortable out there today and did a good job for his team in a slightly tricky situation.
    IOW, you're saying they did well because their decision paid dividends. Not because they used solid reasoning to come to it.

Not the right way to go about things IMO, but I've known for a fair while that others - plenty of them - think differently.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    IOW, you're saying they did well because their decision paid dividends. Not because they used solid reasoning to come to it.

Not the right way to go about things IMO, but I've known for a fair while that others - plenty of them - think differently.
    No, I'm saying that maybe it was me that was mistaken in my opinion on the batting order, not the selectors/Ponting.

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    No, I'm saying that maybe it was me that was mistaken in my opinion on the batting order, not the selectors/Ponting.
    Me, I'd say that if I was mistaken in something, I'd question why I ever held said belief ITFP.

Here, I don't. I maintain, and will continue to do so, that this was a dreadful decision which happened to pay-off, as some bad decisions do.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    It was about the extra bowling more than the lack of runs at the top of the order, IMO. It was either North or Hughes that had to make way and North has two tons on the tour already.
    Think that's a fair enought shout, but would probably have still ditched North myself as his offies aren't really a factor with Hauritz playing and, all things being equal, Hughes is arguably the better batsman, despite the hideous-looking technique.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

The decision to include Watson was about having that extra bowler, then it became a case of who can they leave out ? By process of elimination, Hughes was deemed the man to go. Imo, shuffling Hussey up the order to open would probably have been my thought process rather than Watson opening, and whether he should or should not be up there, he did bat very well in those 30 overs, in the face of some admittedly below par bowling.

It was a brave decision and currently one that is paying off, in terms of Watson playing an innings Hughes currently does not look capable of. I still think it's not a bad thing for England as it may persuade Australia to stick with him at the top for the rest of the series, and that can only work in our favour.

International Coach
    What's the current tally of errors?

For England I'd say just one so far, Monty shouldn't have played the first Test, even accounting for his heroic batting. People have their concerns over Bell, but for me he was the right choice once KP went.

Australia's selection seems a lot more debatable at the minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

I would certainly not have picked Bell for this Test (or the Lions game) ahead of Shah, but that isn't completely and totally brainless.

Several of Australia's selections this tour have been, IMO, regardless of how masterstroke-ish they've appeared in hindsight.

And however naturally talented MSP remains, at the current time he should be nowhere near a Test side, and shouldn't have played that First Test. Onions, however many doubts anyone (myself absolutely included) retain about him, should have played that opening Test. You only find out whether someone can bowl by giving them the chance.
    Last edited by Richard; 30-07-2009 at 04:56 PM.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Didn't you call Onions a club bowler a couple of months back? Thought you'd be well against his inclusion tbh.

Not sure I went quite that far - said that until this season he was absolutely not a county-standard bowler, though he was probably still second-XI standard - but regardless, he's been superb this season, performed decent-ish-ly against West Indies, and should have played the Ashes opener.

If anyone could name me a better option, for any of these three Ashes games so far, I'd like to hear it. I'd not have picked him against West Indies, but once he played there, he had to play against Australia.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    For England I'd say just one so far, Monty shouldn't have played the first Test, even accounting for his heroic batting. People have their concerns over Bell, but for me he was the right choice once KP went.

Australia's selection seems a lot more debatable at the minute.

I'm just a bit confused by the criteria for counting up the tally.
    If Watson makes a double century does that still count as an error because it appeared rather silly or does performance in the game count for anything.

Oh I agree, just didn't think you were all that impressed with him against the Windies.

Sidebottom the only alternative I can think of, and sadly that doesn't seem an attractive one at the minute (or ever again? )

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    I'm just a bit confused by the criteria for counting up the tally.
    If Watson makes a double century does that still count as an error because it appeared rather silly or does performance in the game count for anything.
    Well as you well know, it depends who you ask

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information