Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Selection errors tally thread

U19 Vice-Captain Halfpast_Yellow's Avatar
    He needs experience, not necessarily at test level, and needs to fix an issue with his technique, and the two somewhat go hand in hand. And he is 20. And he's hardly a fixture in the team.

If this dropping turns him into a mental wreck from which he doesn't recover, he probably isn't test match batsman material anyway. However there every chance it will actually do him some good, give him some more hunger.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    I find it odd that one of the alleged reasons for Johnson's retention is what dropping him would do to his confidence, yet a young opener who is undoubtedly hugely talented won't have his confidence knocked after being dropped for an all-rounder? And this after seeming to play himself back into some form in the practice match at Northants. Dunno, find this odd.
    Watson's a batsman in his own right tbf. By all accounts his bowling is a non-issue at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    It's the hypocrisy of the situation that gets me a bit, Clark is clearly bowling better than Johnson. But no selectorial team around the world acts consistently I guess.

Bottom line, even though we've made him struggle, I'd feel more wary of Hughes than Watson, at the top.

Interestingly when me and Smitteh discussed Watto's run prospects in this Test (this was when it seemed he might get a gig at 6) he reckoned he might struggle against Freddie but I said, no he'll be set, I don't think he'll face Freddie. Looks like I was wrong.

Hey, it will be interesting, it's not the decision I'd have made but being a selector is a paid job for a reason, otherwise you could just run a poll on sites like this to get the teams picked...
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Watson's a batsman in his own right tbf. By all accounts his bowling is a non-issue at the moment.
    Yeah, that's fair enough, although don't you think they want the 5th bowler in there in case Johnson can't land it on the strip?

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    I find it odd that one of the alleged reasons for Johnson's retention is what dropping him would do to his confidence, yet a young opener who is undoubtedly hugely talented won't have his confidence knocked after being dropped for an all-rounder? And this after seeming to play himself back into some form in the practice match at Northants. Dunno, find this odd.
    I don't find it just odd, I find it remarkable. Jettison one guy who has admittedly been in average form to reshuffle the squad so you can accommodate a guy who is in horrendous form. If Johnson hadn't of been picked again I wouldn't see it as such a strange move.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

It's the hypocrisy of the situation that gets me a bit, Clark is clearly bowling better than Johnson. But no selectorial team around the world acts consistently I guess.

Bottom line, even though we've made him struggle, I'd feel more wary of Hughes than Watson, at the top.

Interestingly when me and Smitteh discussed Watto's run prospects in this Test (this was when it seemed he might get a gig at 6) he reckoned he might struggle against Freddie but I said, no he'll be set, I don't think he'll face Freddie. Looks like I was wrong.

Hey, it will be interesting, it's not the decision I'd have made but being a selector is a paid job for a reason, otherwise you could just run a poll on sites like this to get the teams picked...
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    I don't find it just odd, I find it remarkable. Jettison one guy who has admittedly been in average form to reshuffle the squad so you can accommodate a guy who is in horrendous form. If Johnson hadn't of been picked again I wouldn't see it as such a strange move.
    Yeah, good points all. My opinion on Johnson is well-documented, and he should not be in the team at the moment.

But I'm trying to judge this decision independent of that. Considering that Watson's bowling is not currently up to scratch, the only question you have to ask yourself is who will score more runs in this match? When you boil it down to that, it's debateable- certainly not the horrendous shocker some are saying- and personally, my money would be on Watto.

U19 Vice-Captain Halfpast_Yellow's Avatar
    I guess they're banking on Johnson being better 1st change than Clark. Perhaps the pitch has something to do with it + and a dash of hope he comes right?

Yeah, good points all. My opinion on Johnson is well-documented, and he should not be in the team at the moment.

But I'm trying to judge this decision independent of that. Considering that Watson's bowling is not currently up to scratch, the only question you have to ask yourself is who will score more runs in this match? When you boil it down to that, it's debateable- certainly not the horrendous shocker some are saying- and personally, my money would be on Watto.
    You might back Watto to score my runs but do you back him to score more opening?

I'm not saying it's impossible, it's just that a couple of weeks ago when there were suggestions of him opening, they were laughed out of the forum

You might back Watto to score my runs but do you back him to score more opening?

I'm not saying it's impossible, it's just that a couple of weeks ago when there were suggestions of him opening, they were laughed out of the forum
    Yeah, you know, I probably do. Opening is primarily a mindset change in comparison to batting at 3 or 4, where a great deal of the time you'll face every test of technique that an opener faces. So long as Watson's happy to open, and he's done so very well in other forms of the game, I don't see it being a massive problem. It's unlikely to be a long-term fix, but he'll do the job.

The other thing is, Phil Hughes probably isn't going to score any runs, and the opportunity to line someone up and smack them on the head with a rock-hard new cherry every innings has to be good for the English bowlers' momentum. There's not a massive amount to lose here in the short-term, and in the long term, who cares? It's the ****ing Ashes.

If Watto fails and we win, people won't be talking about there being no short-term damage. If we win here, that's the Ashes I reckon. Brave gamble from the crim selectors tbf.

It just goes to show, though, that there is no science to selection and you can never ever categorically declare a selectorial decision to be an error.

Cricket Spectator
    Agree with this.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Watson's in great form, and Hughes is in horrendous form.
    Don't see any evidence of that myself TBH. Hughes has had a bad game or two, and an OK-ish game or two, before which he's barely had 2 bad games in a row over his entire career. Watson has played a single First-Class game in the last, well, long time - that against a weak county second team attack. No way to know what sort of form he's in. Hughes is not, in my view, categorically out-of-nick, as I said a week or so ago.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Same in every team at every level since time immemorial.
    Doesn't mean it's never wrong though.

Banned
    Watson's in great form, and Hughes is in horrendous form. Even allowing for the fact that Hughes is more talented, has more experience opening in FC cricket and has been playing in English conditions all summer... I still think Watson will score more runs. The ball's hitting the middle of the bat for him, and it's not for Hughes.
    Games against second XIs can be misleading for form, just weeks back Hughes was murdering county bowlers right?

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Think England's opening bowlers will be looking forward to bowling at Watson should he be up top. Yes his technique has improved, but it is a huge step up for him to be opening the batting in a Test match. Definite selectorial balls-up,imo.

He may bowl ok, he did well in the series in India, was impressive. And let's face it, it's not like his body is not upto opening the batting and then 10 or 15 overs of bowling ??

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread Information