• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Selection errors tally thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It was about the extra bowling more than the lack of runs at the top of the order, IMO. It was either North or Hughes that had to make way and North has two tons on the tour already.
Think that's a fair enought shout, but would probably have still ditched North myself as his offies aren't really a factor with Hauritz playing and, all things being equal, Hughes is arguably the better batsman, despite the hideous-looking technique.

Woodster

International Captain
The decision to include Watson was about having that extra bowler, then it became a case of who can they leave out ? By process of elimination, Hughes was deemed the man to go. Imo, shuffling Hussey up the order to open would probably have been my thought process rather than Watson opening, and whether he should or should not be up there, he did bat very well in those 30 overs, in the face of some admittedly below par bowling.

It was a brave decision and currently one that is paying off, in terms of Watson playing an innings Hughes currently does not look capable of. I still think it's not a bad thing for England as it may persuade Australia to stick with him at the top for the rest of the series, and that can only work in our favour.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
For England I'd say just one so far, Monty shouldn't have played the first Test, even accounting for his heroic batting. People have their concerns over Bell, but for me he was the right choice once KP went.

Australia's selection seems a lot more debatable at the minute.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I would certainly not have picked Bell for this Test (or the Lions game) ahead of Shah, but that isn't completely and totally brainless.

Several of Australia's selections this tour have been, IMO, regardless of how masterstroke-ish they've appeared in hindsight.

And however naturally talented MSP remains, at the current time he should be nowhere near a Test side, and shouldn't have played that First Test. Onions, however many doubts anyone (myself absolutely included) retain about him, should have played that opening Test. You only find out whether someone can bowl by giving them the chance.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Didn't you call Onions a club bowler a couple of months back? Thought you'd be well against his inclusion tbh.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure I went quite that far - said that until this season he was absolutely not a county-standard bowler, though he was probably still second-XI standard - but regardless, he's been superb this season, performed decent-ish-ly against West Indies, and should have played the Ashes opener.

If anyone could name me a better option, for any of these three Ashes games so far, I'd like to hear it. I'd not have picked him against West Indies, but once he played there, he had to play against Australia.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
For England I'd say just one so far, Monty shouldn't have played the first Test, even accounting for his heroic batting. People have their concerns over Bell, but for me he was the right choice once KP went.

Australia's selection seems a lot more debatable at the minute.

I'm just a bit confused by the criteria for counting up the tally.
If Watson makes a double century does that still count as an error because it appeared rather silly or does performance in the game count for anything.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Oh I agree, just didn't think you were all that impressed with him against the Windies.

Sidebottom the only alternative I can think of, and sadly that doesn't seem an attractive one at the minute (or ever again? :()

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm just a bit confused by the criteria for counting up the tally.
If Watson makes a double century does that still count as an error because it appeared rather silly or does performance in the game count for anything.
Well as you well know, it depends who you ask :p

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not sure I went quite that far - said that until this season he was absolutely not a county-standard bowler, though he was probably still second-XI standard - but regardless, he's been superb this season, performed decent-ish-ly against West Indies, and should have played the Ashes opener.

If anyone could name me a better option, for any of these three Ashes games so far, I'd like to hear it. I'd not have picked him against West Indies, but once he played there, he had to play against Australia.
BTW :p

Still a dreadful selection, obviously. You could virtually have picked a decent club bowler (which is what Onions is mostly little more than) and he'd have run through the pathetic batting West Indies managed in that first-innings.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I see - I suppose I should emphasise that I do like to use the tool of exaggeration from time to time. Well, Onions has the rest of his county career to prove he's more than just a decent club bowler, and has made a good start to that task with this 2\3-of-season. Until this season, though, he was not a county-standard bowler. Whether this season proves a flash-in-the-pan or a turning point remains to be seen in coming seasons.

Since I made that post it should be emphasised that Onions has gone from having a good 2-3 county games and knocking-over a piss-poor West Indies to taking 50-odd FC wickets in 7 games or so.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh I agree, just didn't think you were all that impressed with him against the Windies.
FTR, I wasn't. But his performances there have gained a little stature as his county season has worn on. He did a few things right; at the time my reaction was "decent batsmen would've dealt with that bowling easily", which I still think is the case; but since he's taken another stack of county wickets afterwards I've begun to consider that he was showing some amount of potential while bowling a lot of crap, rather than the reaction of the time which was purely that he was mostly bowling crap.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hussey would have kept and someone would have substitute fielded, I suspect.
Reckon? Would have thought they're taking the long view but if there was no choice Haddin would play through it. Ponting should do more 'keeping I reckon; saw him do it for Tas a couple of times, was a gun! But yeah, Huss is a real option for sure.

Manou would be bricking it right now. The pressure's off in some ways, though; Haddin will clearly come right back as soon as he's fit so he's got one Test, maybe two. There's plenty of batting around him in the lower-order so as long as he doesn't shell a sitter and scores a run or two, it'll be looked as a successful match for him.

Last edited:
Nope, Hussey would've been a better choice and I said so. Anyway, the idea that Hughes had to go is nonsensical IMO, he'd had 1 bad game. Absolutely ridiculous to drop him for this Test AFAIC.
This policy has served Australia very well over the last two decades and has proven itself to be instrumental in giving Australia the edge in developing cricketers.

Younger or new players are given time in the team and like players before him such as Hayden, Ponting, Langer, Katich and many more Hughes has been dropped from the team after a bad run and not only does this assist in allowing them time to reflect on what is required for them to succeed at test level it brings them back to earth on how tough it is to play international cricket. In the long term Hughes will understand that this is part of the learning process and he will come back better or not at all.

Watson himself has been through this process even though mainly due to injuries but you can see the desire this man has to make an impression and to take any chance he gets and make the most of it.

Hughes needs this reminder to instill a bit of discipline and team first ethic which in the long run will benifit Australia and Hughes. This is not a knee jerk reaction from the Australian selectors but a calculated move to build a team for the future. Australian selectors record is second to none in the international scene and their handling of players has been outstanding.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Yeah with Australia now having batted first, unless it's a very serious break I imagine he'd have played through. If we bowled first I am quite sure Huss would've donned the gloves though.