• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1 day to go!

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I sometimes wonder what would happen if the Ashes were played in a (football) World Cup year, which has never happened although it's clashed with the Olympics a few times. Would result in a huge downsizing of the hype surely.
A pretty ghastly thought as far as I'm concerned. Not so much about the lack of hype (although I do enjoy the hype to a degree) but the lack of coverage. Football is a good game and I do follow it but its dominance over cricket in England is a ****ing travesty. As you say the non-coincidence of Ashes and WCs has meant that generally speaking the cricket can dominate the back pages, unless of course Carlisle United signed a reserve team goalkeeper the day before.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
By the way, if there are any impressionable people reading this thread, and yes I include young Master Dickinson in that category, my reference to drinking, drug-taking and whoring was indeed A Joke. And a very unfunny one, for which I should be severely reprimanded and possibly banned for life.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah the '05 series started stupidly late, didn't it - almost two weeks later than this one (which is still too late for those of us who got used to series starting in June, but that's another matter).
Matthew Engel still, regularly, points-out the negatives of the fact that, since the increased international schedule in 2000 (which has gotten steadily more absurd year by year), we've lost the predictability and balance between overdoing and underdoing which used to adorn tours to England, especially by Australia.

BTW I wonder what Mr. z made of his assertion that "I hope it snows for five days [in the Test that started, rather absurdly, on May 6th this year]. How else can we teach cricket administrators a lesson?"
There has been a fair old build-up, but the T20 WC distracted from it for a while.
Yeah the Twenty20 World thingy I think has been pretty big in importance, for me. IE, I basically had 2 whole weeks where I barely had any international cricket to take any interest in.
I sometimes wonder what would happen if the Ashes were played in a (football) World Cup year, which has never happened although it's clashed with the Olympics a few times. Would result in a huge downsizing of the hype surely.
Aye - hence the deliberate scheduling that's deliberately avoided that!

Ashes have been in odd-numbered years since 1972, making sure always to avoid European Championships and World Cups since the true globalisation of the TV market.

stumpski

International Captain
Ashes have been in odd-numbered years since 1972, making sure always to avoid European Championships and World Cups since the true globalisation of the TV market.

That may well be the intention now, but I think it may have started accidentally. In the early 70s it was intended that South Africa would tour here in 1975, Australia in 1976 (following their Leap Year tours of '64-72) and West Indies in 1977. When the World Cup was held here in 1975 it was decided that since Australia were here anyway, they might as well stay and play a Test series - the only time in the 20th century the Ashes were contested in four scheduled Tests. They came back in 1977 of course and have been here at four year intervals ever since.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, fo' sho' it started accidentally. In fact, interesting to look back at the Ashes series' that have been contested:
Code:
	2006/07
	2002/03
	1998/99
	1994/95
	1990/91
	1986/87
	1982/83
	(1978/79)
	1974/75
	1970/71
	1965/66
	1962/63
	1958/59
	1954/55
	1950/51
	1946/47
	1936/37
	1932/33
	1928/29
	1924/25
	1920/21
So in short, apart from the fact that WW2 took out 10 years, there's only been a single alteration in the long-term Ashes schedule since WW1 - that being caused by the South African isolation and 1975 World Cup of which you speak. There were a couple of temporary wavers in England (though it was sometimes 5 sometimes 3, there were still 16 between 1948 and 1964) but in Australia it's always been every 4 years except the one waver (8 years between 1962/63 and 1970/71).

So where it used to be 1-and-a-half years from Australia to England and 2-and-a-half from England to Australia, now it's the other way around.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks to Richard's research, I can state that the Ashes did actually take place during the first 3 football world cups, in 1930, 1934 & 1938. Not that any of them were televised of course. Nor did we deign to take place in any of them. Nonetheless ...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Thanks to Richard's research, I can state that the Ashes did actually take place during the first 3 football world cups, in 1930, 1934 & 1938. Not that any of them were televised of course. Nor did we deign to take place in any of them. Nonetheless ...
Ha, think we're running 0/3 when there's an Ashes/WC clash, so probably just as well they're separated.

Incidentally nerd points to anyone who can name the only player to go to a football world cup and appear in an Ashes series. :)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Freddie and Harmison both went to the last WC, I distinctly remember Freddie being interviewed in an absolute state before the Paraguay game :ph34r:

I suspect you meant as a player though...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Seems an oft-quoted phrase might read better as:
The Ashes - a good time to be unemployed.
Or at least it would have until coverage ceased to be broadcast free-to-air. 8-)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha, yeah, quite ironic really I probably could have afforded a sickie if the series was on Channel 4 as it's one of the only reasons I haven't cut the Sky Sports from my outgoing