• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1 day to go!

howardj

International Coach
Massively pumped.

1st session, 1st day, 1st Test of an Ashes series.

It brings a tear to the eye of all purists.

Don't really care who wins - just want a cracking series.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
When do we reckon the number of posts will surpass that in the last Ashes forum (15202 iirc), currently at 6816...6817.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well my gall stones have come good/bad for me, so I get the first test in its entirity from the comfort of me own living room. Ill wind that blows no good and all that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Build-up

Was going to post this in a separate thread, thought it might as well go here though...

Anyone else had the feeling that, relatively speaking, this series has sneaked up on us? The run-up to 2005 seemed to be never-ending, so that when the first ball was bowled it almost seemed like the end of one road already - Andrew Miller talked in April of "the longest and potentially most tedious phoney war in Anglo-Australian history" and he wasn't wrong. The run-up to 2006/07 likewise. Talking, here, about the immediate prelude to the series; obviously all series' were being anticipated years in advance in moderation - the end of one Ashes is always the countdown to the start of the next one.

But this year, though there's been the usual amount of "it's an Ashes summer" stuff, it just seems like we're here - the day before the series - without too much hoo-haa. Perhaps because of the fact that in 2005 there was a whole load of ODI cricket (and that Twenty20 match).

Or perhaps I've just had greater variety of things on my mind this May and June than in 2005.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Perhaps you're just getting old, Richard? Perhaps your enjoyment of life is starting to wane. Now is the time to turn to drink, drugs and prostitutes. Worked for me.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I turned to drink maaaaaaaaaaany years ago, and have long planned never to turn to either of the others.

OH, WAS THAT POST IN JEST??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think not.

stumpski

International Captain
Yeah the '05 series started stupidly late, didn't it - almost two weeks later than this one (which is still too late for those of us who got used to series starting in June, but that's another matter). There has been a fair old build-up, but the T20 WC distracted from it for a while.

I sometimes wonder what would happen if the Ashes were played in a (football) World Cup year, which has never happened although it's clashed with the Olympics a few times. Would result in a huge downsizing of the hype surely.