• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Herald Sun's Top 50 Ashes Legends

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Has anyone been following this? The Herald Sun and the Daily Telegraph in Australia have been counting down the Top 50 Ashes Legends, with the top 10 to be revealed tomorrow I believe:

HeraldSun Ashes 2009 Interactive

Some interesting selections and it smacks of a bit of Aussie bias - Hammond and Hobbs down at 34 and 19 are little short of nonsensical. While some rankings seem to be trying too hard to be "different" at the expense of adherence to the Ashes (as opposed to Australia vs England) criteria. Rick McCosker is included at the ridiculously high ranking of number 22 purely on the basis of his - admittedly very brave - innings of 25 with a broken jaw in the Centenary Test, a match in which the Ashes weren't actually up for grabs.

Thoughts?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Looking at who has gone so far, I think it's pretty clear who the top 10 will be now - though obviously the order is still to be revealed.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Has anyone been following this? The Herald Sun and the Daily Telegraph in Australia have been counting down the Top 50 Ashes Legends, with the top 10 to be revealed tomorrow I believe:

Some interesting selections and it smacks of a bit of Aussie bias - Hammond and Hobbs down at 34 and 19 are little short of nonsensical. While some rankings seem to be trying too hard to be "different" at the expense of adherence to the Ashes (as opposed to Australia vs England) criteria. Rick McCosker is included at the ridiculously high ranking of number 22 purely on the basis of his - admittedly very brave - innings of 25 with a broken jaw in the Centenary Test, a match in which the Ashes weren't actually up for grabs.

Thoughts?
I read the list before I read the second part of your post Sean and I was about to make precisely your point that Hobbs at 19 and Hammond at 34 is hard to justify.

Hardly surprising that the Herald Sun has a slight Aussie bias, nothing much wrong with that, and given that the Crims lead 121-95 it could I suppose be justified.

However it does take quite a bit of Aussie bias to mark Sir Len Hutton down as an Australian.

Disappointed to see that Extras hasn't yet featured: England's most consistent performer in the dark times. Perhaps a Top 10 spot beckons?

Redbacks

International Captain
Who would be in the top 10?

Bradman
Warne
Botham
Lillee
Border
Jardine
?
Paynter ??
?
?

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Who would be in the top 10?

Bradman
Warne
Botham
Lillee
Border
Jardine
?
Paynter ??
?
?
Unless I've missed one of them and they've already gone, I reckon the top ten will be five Aussies:

Bradman
Miller
Warne
Lillee
Border

And five soap-dodgers:

Grace
Botham
Larwood
Laker
Jardine

Fair call about Paynter - possible dark horse, instead of Grace perhaps.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Some other English names I'd throw in the hat - not sure if any will make the top 10, but they might have got into some people's Top 50 at least:

David Gower: 3264 runs @ 44.78, captained the winning side in 1985 and scored 732 runs in the process

Bob Willis: 128 wickets @ 26.14 including 8 to win at Leeds in '81

SF Barnes: 106 wickets @ 21.58 and reckoned by many to be the best bowler of all time

George Lohmann: 77 wickets @ 13.01

Last edited:

Redbacks

International Captain
I think when the Herald Sun say "based on impact not just records" they probably mean "Blokes the average reader may have heard of or were alive to see play"

Over the test of time maybe Vaughan would get a gig in the lists, take Healy out for his commentary. First as a brilliant batsman in Australia, and then as the leader who helped England bounce back after years of hurt.

I guess Paynter is a player I wouldn't know much about other than hearing about his gutsy innings in the Bodyline series, probably won't make the list whilst averaging 84 against us.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Some other English names I'd throw in the hat - not sure if any will make the top 10, but they might have got into some people's Top 50 at least:

David Gower: 3264 runs @ 44.78, captained the winning side in 1985 and scored 732 runs in the process

Bob Willis: 128 wickets @ 26.14 including 8 to win at Leeds in '81

SF Barnes: 106 wickets @ 21.58 and reckoned by many to be the best bowler of all time

George Lohmann: 77 wickets @ 13.01
I thought Willis had already gone but I quite shockingly overlooked Barnes. Lohmann, like Turner, would be worthy of a spot in any top 50 but won't get one. I've just realised as well that there's no Frank Tyson and I can't see him getting a top 10 spot.

So given that in Ashes terms the Doctor is probably the most vulnerable of the ten I picked (I reckon the other nine are locks), it means that only one of Grace, Barnes, Paynter, Tyson and Willis are going to make the top 50 at all.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Over the test of time maybe Vaughan would get a gig in the lists, take Healy out for his commentary. First as a brilliant batsman in Australia, and then as the leader who helped England bounce back after years of hurt.
Vaughan is there mate, at no.44.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Something of a 20/21 century bias - can't see Terror Turner or Bobby Peel's 100+ Ashes wickets at 16 figuring

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Unless I've missed one of them and they've already gone, I reckon the top ten will be five Aussies:

Bradman
Miller
Warne
Lillee
Border

And five soap-dodgers:

Grace
Botham
Larwood
Laker
Jardine
Yeah spot on with that.

The actual order they gave is:
1. Bradman
2. Grace
3.Warne
4. Botham
5. Jardine
6. Lillee
7.Larwood
8. Laker
9. Border
10. Miller

I think the ranking order is pretty random, especially considering Grace at 2 (not a particularly top Ashes performer) and Hammond 34.

Also Massie at 33 (one game wonder), while Trueman (all time great) at 48. hmm

Jardine as high as 5 on the back of one series (in which he was actually dropped for poor form) merely for behaviour that very nearly saw him deservedly lynched. Although I admit that this was very memorable stuff and is a very big part in the history of the Ashes.

Mcosker 22, Hutton 23. thats just totally random

For Ashes impact I think that maybe Aldermann at 21 is too low also.

In fact if Bradman wasn't listed at #1, then I would have presumed that the it was just the top 50 (using whatever criteria) just put in a random order.

cheers

fredfertang

Jardine as high as 5 on the back of one series (in which he was actually dropped for poor form) merely for behaviour that very nearly saw him deservedly lynched. Although I admit that this was very memorable stuff and is a very big part in the history of the Ashes.
??????????

aussie

Hall of Fame Member

Thoughts?
Dont agree with McCoster & Warner. KP & Tyson should be in instead.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can't find a reference anywhere to a 6th test in the bodyline series
I thought Hammond was "rested" or "injured" in 46-47, when in fact he was dropped or dropped out himself as he was going so poorly.

I'd understood in 32-33 Jardine had offered to drop himself to the tour selectors due to his poor form bu they wanted no part of it.

fredfertang

I'd understood in 32-33 Jardine had offered to drop himself to the tour selectors due to his poor form bu they wanted no part of it.
That was my understanding as well - but whatever happened he wasn't dropped and did play all five tests - he was also reappointed as captain for the next two series and, had he not called time on his own career, might well have been reappointed for 1934

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
sorry forgot all about this...... meant to forward an apology.
Sometimes I just rely on my somewhat scatty memory, but I always admit when I'm wrong (me thinks maybe its too often).
Anyways I checked up and it appears I was confused as Jardine actually dropped himself from one of the tests, but got a reprieve ( I think the other selectors overuled him). This was based not on bodyline but rather his personal form.

Again sorry for my error and sorry to myself for making an arse outa me.

cheers