Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Captaincy of Strauss and Ponting

I think, and I hope I'm not grasping at straws here, is that Ponting didn't expect to get two more overs from that end in. I think he was worried about not getting another Hauritz over in if he gave one of the quicks the ball, but then not only did North get through his over in time, Hauritz also got through his, so they went around again.

In that context, it looks a strange decision, but at the time I really think Ponting didn't think he'd get to have another over from that end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Ah, so you reckon he thought if Hilfy got a bowl then Hauritz wouldn't?

Makes sense, though at that point I perferred to see Hauritz bowling to Hilfy tbh, but yeah
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Would Hilfy, with two left-handers playing no strokes at the crease and no movement, have really been particularly likely to take a wicket? Siddle found it impossible to attack the stumps to Monty and Jimmy, and Hilfenhaus probably would have done the same. Johnson was the ideal bowler for the situation, but he was bowling badly. Katich probably would have wasted too many deliveries, and regarding Clarke, Ponting wanted someone to take the ball away from the batsmen.

North was the option he plumped for. We'll never know if any of the other bowlers would have done any better.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    I haven't been listening to TMS today - there's no excuse for subjecting my kids to the x rated goings on at Cardiff - but I wonder if the CMJ & Blofeld are still convinced that the last ashes would have been anything other than 5.0 with Strauss in charge instead of Flintoff.
    Officer class, isn't it? Radley College, Oxbridge (well the Oxbridge rejects uni) & captain of Middlesex...

No wonder he sets them off.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Would Hilfy, with two left-handers playing no strokes at the crease and no movement, have really been particularly likely to take a wicket? Siddle found it impossible to attack the stumps to Monty and Jimmy, and Hilfenhaus probably would have done the same. Johnson was the ideal bowler for the situation, but he was bowling badly. Katich probably would have wasted too many deliveries, and regarding Clarke, Ponting wanted someone to take the ball away from the batsmen.

North was the option he plumped for. We'll never know if any of the other bowlers would have done any better.
    No, but then we could drop Bell for Pietersen for the next Test. When Bell scores 4 & 7, well, hey, we'll never know whether KP would have scored any more...

I don't think he would have taken a wicket, but when I saw North holding the ball, I did a little dance.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    No, but then we could drop Bell for Pietersen for the next Test. When Bell scores 4 & 7, well, hey, we'll never know whether KP would have scored any more...

I don't think he would have taken a wicket, but when I saw North holding the ball, I did a little dance.
    Yeah, ditto. It might be a truism, but tailenders generally hate pace and the best way to bowl them out is to attack the stumps. Hilfy had been by far the most accurate of the crim quicks. No guarantees, but as a captain I'd play the percentages in a clutch situation like that.

Have to say I'm a bit suprised Katich didn't get a chuck, iirc he had reasonable success against SA's tail in SA.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post

Fair enough, I'd have probably went for Johnson personally. Hilfenhaus would have struggled to find an attacking line to Monty and Jimmy.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    And was then on at tea on day four singing all sorts of his praises. He truly is a master of changing his position in a millisecond, and seemingly more with Ponting's captaincy than almost any other subject.
    Yeah, it's so frustrating. Is it that hard to just criticise certain aspects of a captaincy, rather than pan it outright every time he does something that you don't agree with?

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Have to say I'm a bit suprised Katich didn't get a chuck, iirc he had reasonable success against SA's tail in SA.
    He tends to get wickets with bad balls, because he gives it a big rip. Doesn't get many catches around the bat, needs someone to be attacking him. Not really the option for that situation.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Yeah, it's so frustrating. Is it that hard to just criticise certain aspects of a captaincy, rather than pan it outright every time he does something that you don't agree with?
    Yeah you get the feeling this is why Roebuck and Botham didn't get along at Somerset. Botham likes to paint himself as a straight shooter so the artfully dodgy Roebuck would have grated like nothing else.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

He tends to get wickets with bad balls, because he gives it a big rip. Doesn't get many catches around the bat, needs someone to be attacking him. Not really the option for that situation.
    The googly was a serious option to clean up the tail-end lefties though.

Fair enough, I didn't see an awful lot of the series in South Africa, I'm only going off reading scorecards, hence why I thought the decision was a bit suprising.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    This was the thread I was looking for.

Ponting captained fantastically for 4 days and 5 and and a half hours but feel he really missed a beat giving North a bowl at the end and probably over bowling Hauritz.

Thought that Hilfenhaus had to be one of the bowlers bowling at the end of the match alongside probably Siddle. I would have preferred an erratic Johnson over North at the end too.
    Very vague shades of Gooch at the SCG in 1990/91. And you might just be old enough to remember that game too.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaRick View Post
    If anything stymied Australia's ambitions, it was the inclement weather - not really Ponting's captaincy.
    Shades, in that, of Flintoff and Lord's 2006. Play lost to weather, and about 14,925 dropped catches in the match. Captain got the blame for not rotating his bowlers more, when the reality was that you can rotate as many bowlers as you want and if that many catches go down, you haven't a hope. The bowlers were actually doing a decent enough job, it was the fielders who failed. And that's clearly out of the captain's hands. As is the weather.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information