Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 45

Thread: Captaincy of Strauss and Ponting

  1. #16
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Seriously cannot believe anyone honestly thinks that. No one factor would have been likely to have altered that series. Despite the fact that it's perfectly possible to argue Strauss should have been captain ahead of Flintoff, there is nothing Flintoff did wrong which would have been likely to have reversed the course of any game.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  2. #17
    International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline
    Posts
    4,114
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    I haven't been listening to TMS today - there's no excuse for subjecting my kids to the x rated goings on at Cardiff - but I wonder if the CMJ & Blofeld are still convinced that the last ashes would have been anything other than 5.0 with Strauss in charge instead of Flintoff.

    they might have won the traditional consolation 5th test
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Why don't the boxers have any head protection any more?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Burgey submitted a class action suggesting they harden the **** up.

  3. #18
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    In order to do that they'd have had to have knocked-over the last two Australian wickets for 10 or so, rather than allowing them to add 90-odd (or whatever it was).

    Who thinks Strauss could've engineered that then? It'd have required someone to come on and produce a good Yorker or two. Like, well... Flintoff himself. But, as per usual (captain or not), he'd spent most of the last couple of session sweating to try and knock-over the top-order, and having some amount of success.

  4. #19
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,783
    See ya Freddy.

    Good smart bowling.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.


  5. #20
    Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Moving the hole in the o-zone layer
    Posts
    8,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    See ya Freddy.

    Good smart bowling.
    ...as opposed to posting?

  6. #21
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,783
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBloody Idiot View Post
    ...as opposed to posting?
    Guilty.

  7. #22
    Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Moving the hole in the o-zone layer
    Posts
    8,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Guilty.


    Made ironic by me following this up by a now deleted GAGF Doctrove post.

  8. #23
    International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline
    Posts
    4,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    In order to do that they'd have had to have knocked-over the last two Australian wickets for 10 or so, rather than allowing them to add 90-odd (or whatever it was).

    Who thinks Strauss could've engineered that then? It'd have required someone to come on and produce a good Yorker or two. Like, well... Flintoff himself. But, as per usual (captain or not), he'd spent most of the last couple of session sweating to try and knock-over the top-order, and having some amount of success.
    Methinks Strauss would have taken the first 4 beatings well enough to still rally the lads to fight the 5th test as hard as they did th first two, hence surprising an Aussie side that would have been all distracted by three retireremnt ceremonies at the same time.

    Just conjecture, based on what happenedd in 2002-3

  9. #24
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    See ya Freddy.

    Good smart bowling.


    I mean I know we were talking about him just above that post but still, pretty random.

  10. #25
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,783
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post


    I mean I know we were talking about him just above that post but still, pretty random.
    Obviously had two tabs open, and posted in the wrong one.

    Fairly simple explanation.

  11. #26
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    Methinks Strauss would have taken the first 4 beatings well enough to still rally the lads to fight the 5th test as hard as they did th first two, hence surprising an Aussie side that would have been all distracted by three retireremnt ceremonies at the same time.

    Just conjecture, based on what happenedd in 2002-3
    England's team was weaker in the Fifth Test than it had been in the First and Second. MSP's harmless bowling and hopeless batting\fielding replacing Giles' harmless bowling and everso vaguely useful batting\fielding; the waste of space Mahmood in the side; the waste of space Read replacing the waste of space Jones; most vitally, Hoggard missed the Fifth Test with injury, allowing Anderson to come back in and bowl infinitely better than he bowled in the opening couple.

    England still, despite all this, would've been not-that-far-behind on first-innings if they'd been able to knock-over the last two Australia first-innings wickets - as they should have. And with rough first-innings parity, it's anyone's game. Instead, they allowed a massive first-innings lead thanks to a stand between Warne and Clark.

  12. #27
    Cricketer Of The Year wpdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Seriously cannot believe anyone honestly thinks that. No one factor would have been likely to have altered that series. Despite the fact that it's perfectly possible to argue Strauss should have been captain ahead of Flintoff, there is nothing Flintoff did wrong which would have been likely to have reversed the course of any game.
    Blofeld actually said as much earlier this summer. I'm putting words in CMJ's mouth tbf.

  13. #28
    Hall of Fame Member NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    17,979
    This was the thread I was looking for.

    Ponting captained fantastically for 4 days and 5 and and a half hours but feel he really missed a beat giving North a bowl at the end and probably over bowling Hauritz.

    Thought that Hilfenhaus had to be one of the bowlers bowling at the end of the match alongside probably Siddle. I would have preferred an erratic Johnson over North at the end too.

  14. #29
    State Vice-Captain DaRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    1,157
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    This was the thread I was looking for.

    Ponting captained fantastically for 4 days and 5 and and a half hours but feel he really missed a beat giving North a bowl at the end and probably over bowling Hauritz.

    Thought that Hilfenhaus had to be one of the bowlers bowling at the end of the match alongside probably Siddle. I would have preferred an erratic Johnson over North at the end too.
    He's really getting slagged on some Australian-oriented boards.

    Bowling North did actually make some kind of sense. After all, he could get through his overs quickly and time was of the essence. It just didn't come off (although I suppose that he could have bowled Clarke). They rarely do.

    My thoughts:

    I didn't think that there were serious issues with Ricky Ponting's captaincy yesterday. There were some small issues - yes, it is true that he leant on Johnson a bit too heavily and bowling Hilfenhaus more than he did may've had the desired result.

    Overall though, I felt that he actually captained pretty well. Bringing on Siddle to get rid of Collingwood was an inspired (if fluky) move, whilst I felt that him putting faith in Hauritz resulted in him bowling as well as he ever has at this level. He seriously put Panesar and Swann (who were far more fancied) to shame. I still don't think that Hauritz should be retained for Lords (the pitch may not suit him like this one did), but Ponting's faith in him reaped more rewards than any non-faith would have. Instead of being a periphery, he was one of the main reasons why Australia went so close.

    That is indeed the rub. Australia did very well to get this close to winning on a fairly flat deck. They took 19 wickets to England's 6. It's just that England showed more gumption than they had previously. Kudos must go to Paul Collingwood, who played a near-faultless innings. The guy does benefit on flat decks more than he should (he's not alone there, either), but he is still a seriously underrated batsman.

    If anything stymied Australia's ambitions, it was the inclement weather - not really Ponting's captaincy.

  15. #30
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,439
    Yeah, Ponting captained well, but surely one over from a bowler likely to take a wicket (Hilfenhaus) is better than two from a part-time tweaker?
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Great Test Matches..
    By Neil Pickup in forum General
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 04-10-2010, 07:17 PM
  2. Mystery Draft (ODI XI and Test XI, 79-09)
    By Athlai in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 973
    Last Post: 24-03-2009, 03:54 AM
  3. Combined side & hypothetical matchups
    By Zinzan in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 24-05-2008, 03:24 AM
  4. Sack Fletcher!!!!
    By chris.hinton in forum Ashes 2006/07
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 29-01-2007, 02:16 PM
  5. Sim a match
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 342
    Last Post: 31-12-2006, 03:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •