• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes Tests in Australia or England/Wales

Do you prefer watching Ashes contents more when the venue is Australia or England?

• English support prefers matches in Australia

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Do you prefer watching Ashes contents more when the venue is Australia or England?

Edit - why can't I make a poll.

Could a mod add these options.

Aussie supporter prefers matches in Australia
English support prefers matches in Australia
Aussie supporter prefers matches in England
English supporter prefers matches in England
Neutral prefers matches in Australia
Neurtral prefers matches in England

Last edited:

stumpski

International Captain
Option #4 for me. I would assume most Aus/Eng supporters would prefer to see matches in their own country, otherwise it's all on in the middle of the night - and most of us have to get up in the morning.

Will be interested to see if that's the case though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm going to vote for option 3.

Something very special about watching Australia vs England in England, maybe it's just that the teams are more even in English conditions.

I'll get to see more of the Cricket with the matches on at night when I'm not at work then if the matches were on in the day.

Last edited:

ripper868

International Coach
Yeah, prefer it in England, at work during the day, and the time it's on at night here is decent enough to get the first and sometimes the second session in before bed. Course, nothing could beat actually being at the ground, which i plan to do when next it comes to Aus.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty even for me. Every first day @ the Gabba test from 98 to now has an been top class, MCG at boxing day is always brilliant as well.

Over here the Lord's test is arguably the best atmosphere in a test match, while the Oval test always has a historical feel to it.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Number one. Whilst the Ashes from England have a bigger game feel, obviously when it's in Australia I can actually go so that wins for me.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's better in England for time-zone reasons and because it's a better-matched contest.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
England in England.

The sleep deprivation thing.

And watching home tests growing up the 11am start was perfectly timed to get me into a state of huge over-excitement before, at last, it was 10.50am and time for Soul Limbo and the wonderful sight of Peter West's awkward rictus grin, or Richie Benaud's melting face.

Plus watching Australian coverage I used to hate that animated duck that used to follow players off the screen when they were dismissed for nought (it's a duck, geddit???!!) which thank God they never stooped to in England. Do they still use the duck Down Under?

Not sure how much live cricket I saw from Australia as a kid though - I suppose the first Ashes series I saw live from Oz was either in 1990/91 or 1994/5.

stumpski

International Captain
Yeah it looks as if Australians are happier at staying up than we are. They have three time zones though UIMM, which allows for a little flexibility. Watching from 10 p.m. till midnight or 7 till 9 a.m is far preferable to a midnight-till-seven shift which always leaves the dilemma of staying up or setting the alarm.

Vividly remember watching highlights from the 1978-79 series on BBC2 in early evening.

stumpski

International Captain
Aye, but rain breaks were better in them days - they usually showed Massie's match or something like that (unlike TMS on Radio 3, which soon cut to classical music). Now we get a one-day game from last year, or even the previous Test. :dry:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Option #4 for me. I would assume most Aus/Eng supporters would prefer to see matches in their own country, otherwise it's all on in the middle of the night - and most of us have to get up in the morning.
My thoughts on the matter pretty much. Though lying in the dark, quiet winter(\spring) night with the TV on and the cover up your head knowing that you don't have to do much when the morning comes has its own appeal, it's nothing on watching a ground a few hundred miles (or less) away with the sun streaming in through the window and blue skies outside knowing that you don't have to change your desired sleeping patterns to watch.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Love to Watch England win in Australia
You must be older than the general crowd here then if you remember 1970/71 or 1954/55 then!

(Presuming of course you are indeed on about Ashes Test series' against Australia [rather than the Australia A of 1978/79], given that we did in fact win something in 2006/07 :ph34r:)