View Poll Results: Do you prefer watching Ashes contents more when the venue is Australia or England?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aussie supporter prefers matches in Australia

6 15.00%
  • English support prefers matches in Australia

0 0%
  • Aussie supporter prefers matches in England

8 20.00%
  • English supporter prefers matches in England

16 40.00%
  • Neutral prefers matches in Australia

4 10.00%
  • Neurtral prefers matches in England

6 15.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ashes Tests in Australia or England/Wales

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Well I for one would have been proud to have worn the Harlequin cap and ordered the pit men to bang it in short against the colonial upstarts.

"If they don't like the heat, Gubby, they can **** off out of the kitchen"
    Banging it in short's one thing - any fool can do that and countless have down the years. What made it so realistically impossible to score very often against (unless you took Bradman's risk-heavy strategy of backing away and aiming into the wide spaces on the off) was the strong leg-side fields.

Only un-learned scholars believe Bodyline comprised merely of bowling short, Mr. z, as you well know, having seen these many posts which try to discredit Bradman by saying he was brought down to Earth by mere short-pitched bowling in 1932/33.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    News to me - the Bodyline series is and has and will always remain one of the most fascinating in cricket history, from a cricket and social POV.

But there's no way you can equate it to "normal" cricket. England won via means that no-one had ever considered the unfairness of, and their victory meant it suddenly was considered, and the method was thenceforth outlawed.

Bowling consistently short, leg-side and quickly to 6-7 fielders behind square on the leg is a strategy no-one could hope to have consistent success against. Especially on deadly uneven decks like the Third Test of that series.
    Which is exactly why it was such a genius strategy.

You play to win.

That it was genius (in that no-one had thought to deploy it to the extent Jardine did) is not something I'm disputing for a second. That it was highly irregular is equally beyond dispute. Never again would such a strategy be deployed, and rightly so.

Winning is pointless without fair play IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    That it was genius (in that no-one had thought to deploy it to the extent Jardine did) is not something I'm disputing for a second. That it was highly irregular is equally beyond dispute. Never again would such a strategy be deployed, and rightly so.

Winning is pointless without fair play IMO.
    Fair enough, that's where you and I differ.

The rules are there to be worked with, if you can use the rules to your advantage, like Douglas Jardine did, then fair play to you.

State Vice-Captain
    As a neutral I prefer watching them in England, the matches actually have a semblance of competition....

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Fair enough, that's where you and I differ.

The rules are there to be worked with, if you can use the rules to your advantage, like Douglas Jardine did, then fair play to you.
    The way I see it, sport is what it is because people want to watch it. And by-and-large, one of the first things that is looked for in a sport by the masses is whether it's played fairly. Whenever play is not fair, you can bank on the masses baulking at it. The thing that intrudes on this is that these days, there are such massive short-term payoffs that make the difference between victory and defeat. Long-term damage can be done (ie, turning people off because of unfair play and thus in the long-run decreasing the audience so thus the pay-packet) in favour of short-term gain (ie, a victory and more win-bonuses).

Ergo, victory achieved by foul means is near-worthless to me, and I suspect by many others. Whether Bodyline was in fact fair is something that is still disputed to this day, but that unfair play = worthless victory is I'd say widely agreed on.
    Last edited by Richard; 07-07-2009 at 04:22 PM.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    NB, prefer the matches in Australia to the ones in Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Yeah, lets never play a neutral test in this hellhole again. Its bad enough we are playing one in France.
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Shocked that Crabbage preferred games in England. Who'd have seen that one coming.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

There's no question it's a million times better when it's where you live. I fondly remember the buzz on the first morning of the Gabba Test in the last series. Had to run a few errands before hand and everywhere I went people were talking about it and you could just feel it in the air. Not to mention the build up in the media - every day for at least three months before there was a front page article on the series in The Age. And obviously I could go to every day of one of the matches with not too much trouble at all.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    I like them both obviously, but I prefer watching the games in England for some reason. Could have something to do with the fact that I've never watched a remotely competitive home Ashes series, but I think it's also the late night time slot, the build up to the team going on the tour, the different conditions etc.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Yeah, all of those factors are what does it for me (@ pasag), although I can't afford to go to every day of a Test, any of the Tests are doable really given the size of the country.

There is something exciting about staying up in the night watching cricket, but you can't beat a good home series.

I think that the Boxing Day and NYD Tests are probably my two favourite of the year, Ashes or not, tbh. But I apart from those two, I can't normally watch the other Aussie winter Tests live, so I think on balance I prefer English Ashes.
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    Aye, but rain breaks were better in them days - they usually showed Massie's match or something like that (unlike TMS on Radio 3, which soon cut to classical music). Now we get a one-day game from last year, or even the previous Test.
    Yeah. With replay games, you can basically work on a "the older the better". Except for the Bodyline series and the Botham's series, which are so famous it's impossible to not see them a million times.

Love it when they replay stuff from the 1990s, and when it's stuff from the '80s and '70s (1981 excepted), well, it's beyond a thrill. Obviously, the trouble now is that Sky's own footage only extends back to 1990, given they didn't exist before then - I presume the BBC could replay without copyright issues anything from 1936 to 1997. And C4 were even more limited - none of their stuff was of any real interest to me, because I remember it all with considerable clarity.

Even so, there's any number of away Tests from the 1990s that I've never seen much if anything from that Sky could show, presumably without difficulty, but virtually never do.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information